LBJ wins Democratic nomination in 1968 for reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:42:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  LBJ wins Democratic nomination in 1968 for reelection
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LBJ wins Democratic nomination in 1968 for reelection  (Read 3251 times)
TX Conservative Dem
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »

LBJ addresses the nation on March 31, 1968 and then......defies everyone and decides to run for reelection for a 2nd full four-year term.

1. He then defeats Bobby for the Democratic nomination and VP Humphrey stays put.

2. LBJ then campaigns across the country, defending his 5.3 years in office including his decision to send more troops into Vietnam despite public opinion against the war.

3. Nixon defeats LBJ by a slim close margin, with LBJ carrying only Texas and Florida in the South, while Nixon and Wallace split the South.

Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »

Nixon would've destroyed him. 
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »

His health would be an issue too, he died shortly after Nixon was sworn in for a second term. With the stress of the presidency he most likely would have died in office had he been re-elected. I think Nixon would have carried Florida as well, but Johnson holds Texas.

But I think that Johnson was done in 1968 no matter what, and he knew it. He only stayed in the New Hampshire primary just to test the waters and see how bad it was for him.

Awesome scenario though.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:23:47 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2013, 08:32:16 PM by Governor Maxwell »

Former Vice President Richard Nixon (R-CA)/Governor Spiro Agnew (R-MD) - 50.6%, 387 EV's
President Lyndon B. Johnson (D-TX)/Vice President Hubert Humphrey (D-MN) - 39.3%, 122 EV's
Governor George Wallace (AI-AL)/General Curtis LeMay (AI-OH) - 9.9%, 29 EV's
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »

Former Vice President Richard Nixon (R-CA)/Governor Spiro Agnew (R-MD) - 50.6%, 387 EV's
President Lyndon B. Johnson (D-TX)/Vice President Hubert Humphrey (D-MN) - 39.3%, 122 EV's
Governor George Wallace (AI-AL)/General Curtis LeMay (AI-OH) - 9.9%, 29 EV's

This.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »

LBJ, thinking that he's screwed up big time with the whole palatability of this "Civil Rights" thing, backtracks mid-campaign to appease white Southerners he knows he needs for the election. While the ploy works--he even selects George Wallace for Vice President over Humphrey, he alienates much of the country with his obvious racial pandering. Nevertheless, in the North he still takes Rhode Island and Massachusetts due to the Irish being scared of African-Americans as well as VP nominee Wallace's appeal to blue collar concerns. John F. Kennedy, lamenting in Hell, would remark in the post-election breakdown that selecting Johnson for VP was "the biggest damned fool mistake I ever made, and by me being here, you can see I've made a lot of 'em." Nixon goes on to fully integrate the schooling system, appoint the first African-American Secretary of State in Martin Luther King, Jr., and launches a humanitarian mission into South Africa to rescue it from the claws of the racist Brits.

Former President Richard M. Nixon (R-CA)/Mr. Jack Roosevelt "Jackie" Robinson (R-NY) 448 electoral votes
President Lyndon Baines Johnson (D-TX)/Former Governor George C. Wallace (D-AL) 90 electoral votes
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:33:59 PM »

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »

LBJ, thinking that he's screwed up big time with the whole palatability of this "Civil Rights" thing, backtracks mid-campaign to appease white Southerners he knows he needs for the election. While the ploy works--he even selects George Wallace for Vice President over Humphrey, he alienates much of the country with his obvious racial pandering. Nevertheless, in the North he still takes Rhode Island and Massachusetts due to the Irish being scared of African-Americans as well as VP nominee Wallace's appeal to blue collar concerns. John F. Kennedy, lamenting in Hell, would remark in the post-election breakdown that selecting Johnson for VP was "the biggest damned fool mistake I ever made, and by me being here, you can see I've made a lot of 'em." Nixon goes on to fully integrate the schooling system, appoint the first African-American Secretary of State in Martin Luther King, Jr., and launches a humanitarian mission into South Africa to rescue it from the claws of the racist Brits.

Former President Richard M. Nixon (R-CA)/Mr. Jack Roosevelt "Jackie" Robinson (R-NY) 448 electoral votes
President Lyndon Baines Johnson (D-TX)/Former Governor George C. Wallace (D-AL) 90 electoral votes
He would keep Humphrey and I would too.

While you might have had the good sense to keep him, few can truly fathom the mind of a man as deranged (and racist. Have you read the post you quoted!?) a man as Lyndon Baines Johnson.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 07:03:54 PM »

I heard a rumor that after LBJ destroyed Goldwater in 1964, Lady Bird promised Lyndon NOT  to run again in 1968.

Maybe she knew his health was bad throughout his entire presidency.

Vietnam all but killed his presidency
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 09:23:44 AM »

Fmr. Vice Pres. Richard Nixon (R-NY)/Gov. Spiro Agnew (R-MD): 357
Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson (D-TX)/Vice Pres. Hubert Humphrey (D-MN): 128
Fmr. Gov. George Wallace (I-AL)/Mr. Curtis LeMay (I-OH): 53
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »

QFT! Purple heart
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »

In my LBJ 1968 page, I also meant to include that both MLK and RFK both get assassinated respectively (King on April 4th and Bobby on June 5th)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 10:33:56 PM »

He would've easily lost the close Humphrey states; MD, TX, MO, PA, WA. Also without Muskie, Maine would've likely been Republican. Wallace may have still prevented it from being an absolute wash.
quentincollin
Rookie
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »

I would still give LBJ Texas........and some Northeastern states but not many.  those stay Democratic because of affection for HHH.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:46:23 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2013, 08:53:07 PM by Cryptic »

Johnson: 143
Nixon: 350
Wallace: 45

Nixon wins with a somewhat higher EC and PV.  Ironically, while Johnson does worse than Humphrey nationally, I could see him doing a little better than Humphrey in Texas. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 07:53:37 AM »

LBJ wins election. If Wallace runs, he would win another term by the House of Representaives.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »

Pump out one with Volpe as VP choice instead of Agnew!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies