Bennet: DSCC still recruiting in SD, MT, WV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:20:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bennet: DSCC still recruiting in SD, MT, WV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bennet: DSCC still recruiting in SD, MT, WV  (Read 1826 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2013, 04:56:33 AM »

https://twitter.com/AaronBlakeWP/status/362622811476463616

Montana and West Virginia are obvious, because Montana doesn't have a declared Democrat in the race and West Virginia just has two nobodies running. South Dakota is of note because it shows the DSCC isn't settling for Weiland.

Hoping that they recruit Denise Juneau in Montana, Natalie Tennant in West Virginia. South Dakota is harder, but I'd go after State Senator Billie Sutton, who is young, has a good story (paralyzed from the waist down in a freak rodeo accident), and won 59% in a 66% Romney district.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 05:36:33 AM »

Whatever helps him sleep at night.

If the Senate were to be lost under his watch, he would have a problem advancing into the leadership (Think Tom Reynolds as NRCC Chair).

Also ceding three states, which is what announcing the opposite would be, at this stage would hurt the cash flow.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »

If the Senate were to be lost under his watch, he would have a problem advancing into the leadership (Think Tom Reynolds as NRCC Chair).

Also ceding three states, which is what announcing the opposite would be, at this stage would hurt the cash flow.

Cornyn's horrible performance as NRSCC chairman during the 2012 cycle didn't seem to dash his political aspirations.

I doubt that it would Bennet's.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »

Cornyn's horrible performance as NRSCC chairman during the 2012 cycle didn't seem to dash his political aspirations.

I doubt that it would Bennet's.

Failing to gain control partially because of two bad primary selections and a bunch of establishment people turning out to be lame as well as the campaign run by the party's Presidential candidate being likewise, and presiding over the loss of the majority the way that Tom Reynolds and Liddy Dole did in 2006, are two different things.
illegaloperation

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:37:28 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2013, 09:42:21 AM by illegaloperation »

Daschle really did screw things up: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/harry-reid-tom-daschle-south-dakota-senate-91646.html

Democrats need to call Stephanie Herseth Sandlin and see if she changes her mind.

Since she voted against Obamacare, she won't have that to drag her down.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 10:04:26 AM »

In the Democratic party they play a nice shell game, where behind the closed doors, they all agree they have the right ideas and the people are just too stupid to realize it. So they get the votes they need and let the others vote against it to protect their majority, but the bottom line is when it comes to these issues and their votes are needed, you cannot trust a Democrat on those issues and the fact that Reid is pushing SHS himself, convinces me that she cannot be trusted to say no to him when it matters. I hope Rounds makes that case, regardless of who the Democratic candidate is. 
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »

Honestly, is there a chance she would reconsider?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »

Highly doubtful, Dems don't need the seat anyways. They need to focus on Begich and Landrieu- more so Begich since Landrieu always runs her own races.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 06:57:48 AM »

Draft Natalie Tennant for U.S. Senate 2014
1 août
Rumor has it Secretary Tennant is close to making a decision about running!! SHARE this page and invite your friends to LIKE it to give her the boost she needs to make the right decision! To run to be the next United States Senator from West Virginia!
“It’s time to change...and you do that at the ballot box!” –Natalie Tennant.

(facebook)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »

Since she voted against Obamacare, she won't have that to drag her down.

She should not be the candidate for that exact reason.  The Democratic Party MUST put up a 100%, consistent pro-Obamacare front.  If we have a couple of clowns in the House against it, so be it, but we should not allow Senate candidates to be running against Obama's legacy.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »

http://atr.rollcall.com/reid-west-virginia-democratic-recruit-to-announce-shortly/

Harry Reid claims that the Democrats have a candidate in West Virginia who will make things "very competitive", and who will announce shortly. Safe bet is that Natalie Tennant is in.

Reid also said that the DSCC is looking at 3 possible candidates in Montana. I'm guessing Walsh, Bohlinger, and someone else.
illegaloperation

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 12:49:24 AM »

Harry Reid probably cloned Joe Manchin
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »

http://atr.rollcall.com/reid-west-virginia-democratic-recruit-to-announce-shortly/

Harry Reid claims that the Democrats have a candidate in West Virginia who will make things "very competitive", and who will announce shortly. Safe bet is that Natalie Tennant is in.

Reid also said that the DSCC is looking at 3 possible candidates in Montana. I'm guessing Walsh, Bohlinger, and someone else.

Bohlinger is a Republican. I'd say Walsh, Keenan, and some other person.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 01:20:06 AM »

Bohlinger is open to running as a Democrat though, and reportedly likes the idea of Medicare for all.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 05:23:32 AM »

Bohlinger has repeatedly stated he is considering the race, and would run as a Democrat.
He's in his 70's, and has also said that if he ran and won he'd retire after one term.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »

Bohlinger has repeatedly stated he is considering the race, and would run as a Democrat.
He's in his 70's, and has also said that if he ran and won he'd retire after one term.

I'd be inclined to agree that the candidates the DSCC are considering are Walsh, Keenan, and Bohlinger, but McCulloch could also be an option. She is nearly term-limited as Secretary of State, a high statewide office. Everyone is quick to group this race with WV and SD because Juneau, Schweitzer, and Lindeen all declined, but as far as I'm considered, the Democratic bench consists of a Lieutenant Governor, a former Lieutenant Governor, a Secretary of State, a former Superintendent of Public Instruction, and two state Supreme Court Justices, whereas the only two declared Republican candidates are both state legislators: Raicot has shown little interest, Daines hasn't declared anything, and Rehberg would be a weak candidate. I'll admit that this race has a slight Republican lean, but it's nowhere near as likely a Republican pickup as South Dakota and West Virginia.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »

I wouldn't say that Rehberg is a weak candidate, unless he had learned nothing and forgot everything from his last attempt. He is a still a former six times state wide elected official who would be running for an open seat this time instead of against an incumbent.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 06:22:24 PM »

I wouldn't say that Rehberg is a weak candidate, unless he had learned nothing and forgot everything from his last attempt. He is a still a former six times state wide elected official who would be running for an open seat this time instead of against an incumbent.

NC Yankee, honestly Rehberg is just a serial senate loser, two races lost, if the Pubs nominate him, it's just depressing for the gop.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »

NC Yankee, honestly Rehberg is just a serial senate loser, two races lost, if the Pubs nominate him, it's just depressing for the gop.

When did he lose a previous Senate race? I don't think going up against Baucus back in the day or something counts.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »

Well, two senate races lost:
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_election_in_Montana,_1996
And the other in 2012.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »

Capito and Rounds are the most popular Republicans in their states. Those two seats are gone.

Montana, the GOP doesn't have a strong candidate either. They need to focus there.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »

And the other in 2012.

As I said before:

When did he lose a previous Senate race? I don't think going up against Baucus back in the day or something counts.

Baucus was a very popular incumbent for many years, no, decades.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »

And the other in 2012.

As I said before:

So we shouldn't count all the races where Rehberg wasn't really targeted during his service too?
So on his 6 victories for the house of representatives: only one was really a difficult race, against Nancy Keenan in 2000. Though I'm not sure it was a success, after all it was during a presidential year where Bush carried easily Montana!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 04:16:09 PM »

Rehberg's lost twice, last time was very winnable. Daines will be the Pub candidate in MT.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »

And the other in 2012.

As I said before:

So we shouldn't count all the races where Rehberg wasn't really targeted during his service too?
So on his 6 victories for the house of representatives: only one was really a difficult race, against Nancy Keenan in 2000. Though I'm not sure it was a success, after all it was during a presidential year where Bush carried easily Montana!

You are not listening to me. I have said repeatedly over the last nine months, that 2012 was all him and his misteps.

What I am saying is that I am not going to hold him accountable for a charge of the light brigade style run at Max Baucus at a time when Max Baucus was a proverbial god in Montana.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies