Midwest Alþing - The Fight Against Obesity Bill (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:27:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Midwest Alþing - The Fight Against Obesity Bill (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Midwest Alþing - The Fight Against Obesity Bill (Passed)  (Read 2025 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
« edited: August 05, 2013, 11:36:19 AM by Archduke Lumine »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Windjammer
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:16:04 PM »

Sponser, speak out on this!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »

There's some grammatical issues with the bill, but I support the concept of it. Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »

I'm also in favour of this bill: obesity is an issue that we have ignored for a while, and promoting change will lead to a healthier life for Midwesterners. Obviously we have to amend some parts and give some limits, but overall I don't see many problems, specially considering that our budget allows for a surplus to be allocated for this.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »

There's some grammatical issues with the bill, but I support the concept of it. Smiley
I'm sorry Tmthforu94. I know that my english is far to be perfect Tongue. Glad to see you're back!

--------------------------------

Thank you Mr Governor and Mr Speaker. Well, as you know, obesity is a scourge and I think it's time to eradicate this. I have made this bill, trying to respect budget responsibility. This bill could be more ambitious, but it would be more expensive. So, I chose to concentrate this fight on babies, children and teenager. Indeed, I believe if we manage to reduce obesity on this population, the fight is won for the nex generations.

That's why:
-I support encouraging breastfeeding: I read it's both good for the mother for the baby.
-I support creating TV ad which will encourage sport, healthy food,...
-I concentrate efforts on school: better sport equipments, interdiction of sodas,...

I suppose it will pose many problems for you Maxwell because you're a libertarian, but I hope we could come to an agreement.
I suppose my bill is far to be perfect, if you want to improve this bill, I'm glad to hear your propositions.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »

Article 1 is confusing, can you explain it further?

I will be re-writing some of the grammar, but most of this bill is fairly inoffensive. I think, in terms of spending, we should understandably limit how much we advertise. We should advertise on the basic channels every two hours with a small spot.

I'm inclined to disagree with Article 6, and re-write it to make it so that's the choice of the parent whether or not to be educated on breastfeeding.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »

I will be re-writing some of the grammar, but most of this bill is fairly inoffensive. I think, in terms of spending, we should understandably limit how much we advertise. We should advertise on the basic channels every two hours with a small spot.

I'm inclined to disagree with Article 6, and re-write it to make it so that's the choice of the parent whether or not to be educated on breastfeeding.

Of course. Article 1: it's impossible for the foodstuff to advertise in any sort in school.

Article 6: if you want to rewrite, as you wish. But I don't understand your reluctancy about breastfeeding. After all, parents can always refuse to breastfeed their kids...

Well, why should we limit how much we advertise? After, it's a TV-spod (around 10-15 seconds) per hour!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »

Of course. Article 1: it's impossible for the foodstuff to advertise in any sort in school.

Article 6: if you want to rewrite, as you wish. But I don't understand your reluctancy about breastfeeding. After all, parents can always refuse to breastfeed their kids...

Well, why should we limit how much we advertise? After, it's a TV-spod (around 10-15 seconds) per hour!

Got ya on Article 1.

I have no reluctance on breastfeeding, my reluctance is requiring education on a matter that seems more personal choice. It might be better according to studies. I would like to make that education purely option, and I'm sure most mothers would very much opt toward any sort of breastfeeding education.

My concern is money, while it is a small spot, advertising is still an expensive affair. It also isn't clear: is this on every channel, including cable and what not?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »

I made a couple changes/grammar fixes. Smiley

A couple things I changed:
- Created an entire week to promote healthy eating and physical activity (conveniently right before Halloween Tongue)
- Removed clause on breastfeeding, as it's completely unenforceable
- Changed the clause on only letting certain drinks in schools - for one, you forgot to include milk, which is the most common drink offered. Wink Made it to where the sale of pop is prohibited during school hours (to still allow concessions during events).

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 10:48:46 PM »

Thanks again Tmth! I think I like this bill a lot more. What say you, windjammer?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:11:45 AM »

Well, I like this bill! But It's a shame for breastfeeding. I suppose you haven't understood what I wanted to say. I don't want to impose women to breasfeed, it's just that they should know that breasfeeding is really good for the baby and for them. But it's not a major issue.
Thanks for this modification Jayhawker Smiley.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »

Thomas D, ilikeverin, do either of you have anything to say about this bill?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »

I think Tmth's suggestions make it much improved.  We can address breastfeeding in a separate bill which gives more specific suggestions.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 10:05:53 AM »

A friendly question from your Senator - how much will raising cigarette, alcohol, and cannabis taxation harm poor Midwesterners as opposed to the more well off among us?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »

A friendly question from your Senator - how much will raising cigarette, alcohol, and cannabis taxation harm poor Midwesterners as opposed to the more well off among us?
Assuming they continue to use these products in the same quantities, it will most likely hurt them more, since data suggests that those on the lower end of income tend to use these products more frequently. Hopefully the higher rates will encourage less consumption, though, and I expect it to.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »

Well, like any sort of sales tax, I think it would hit the poorest of Atlasians the hardest, obviously. What would be interesting is to look at increasing which tax hurts the poorest the hardest: I think it would obviously be a tax on cigarettes, since I think its easier to increase quality in alcohols and in cannabis. However, Midwest taxes on these substances, even with the increase, is very fair: it's lower than in most other regions, while our income taxes, even with reform, are still some of the highest in the nation (besides the Progressive/NMAM-haven Pacific region).
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »

The poor will smoke less. I suppose it's good? We're protecting their life when the biggest capitalists will continue to reduce their life!
You should be happy Tongue.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »

Despite no further discussion for some hours, this is going rather nicely. I would like to hear Thomas D's comments or ideas on this, though. Oh, and I think the whole TV needs more detailed boundaries, just as Governor Maxwell pointed out. (On another note, some of the Most Serene Representatives still have to swear-in!)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 06:20:36 AM »

Sorry. I try to check this board everyday. I don't know how I missed this.

While I often try to keep Government out of peoples lives I do understand that Obesity is a very serious health issue that impact many issues. And I would support efforts to combat it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »

I'm trying improving my legislation writing abilities, so forgive me, but I thought this needed to be a bit more flexible, and we also needed to settle a concrete thing if they violate these ideals. Saying they must advertise every hour gives no flexibility to whatever the programming is, what the ratings are, and ect. So I decided to give stations a certain flexibility, but obviously not too far beyond the law. I also included a building system in case there is violation of the law.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »

I'm fine with this modification!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »

I think I may have a couple more things in my head if I can just get them out.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »

I think this bill is all set, if you would declare a vote Lumine Smiley
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »

I hope that consumption goes down on Cigarrettes and on Marijuana. Despite major opposition of some economists that pointed out that the demand for those products is basically inelastic, since we are talking about drug addicted people, in Brazil, when such measures were implemented, there was a major reduce on the number of smokers.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »

Right, here we go! I call for a 48 hour vote!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies