Foreign Policy Review (Rejected)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:46:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Foreign Policy Review (Rejected)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Foreign Policy Review (Rejected)  (Read 8709 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 06:07:16 AM »

I withdraw my amendment.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 09:33:06 AM »

Okay, we're voting on amendment 56:30 by Napoleon, which establishes relations with the Swiss as "Normal."

MaxQue's is withdrawn.

You know the drill, Sens! Go.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 09:33:42 AM »

Aye
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »

Nay.

We should not shirk away from imposing restrictions upon tax havens. To do so would be to reward bad behavior.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »

Nay.

We should not shirk away from imposing restrictions upon tax havens. To do so would be to reward bad behavior.

Imposing new restrictions on "tax havens" which happen to be important trade partners of Atlasia hurt the Atlasian economy and put Atlasian jobs at risk.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »

Nay.

Imposing new restrictions on "tax havens" which happen to be important trade partners of Atlasia hurt the Atlasian economy and put Atlasian jobs at risk.

I think we can stand to lose a trade partner that allows the Atlasian rich to dodge taxes, thanks.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »

Nay.

I think we can stand to lose a trade partner that allows the Atlasian rich to dodge taxes, thanks.

So you don't care about Atlasian workers who will get laid off as a result of your vote?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »

Nay.

So you don't care about Atlasian workers who will get laid off as a result of your vote?

I'm not convinced that imposing trade restrictions upon a known tax haven will result in any layoffs, especially since we just pumped money into the economy via the stimulus act and those workers, even if they were laid off, would quickly be re-employed thanks to the jolt of new money into the economy.

Why is it that you don't care that rich Atlasians will continue to be able to dodge taxes if we do nothing here? Do you think the rich shouldn't pay taxes, or something, ZuWo? Why should the wealthy be allowed to skirt the law?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:42 AM »

The notion that Switzerland will change its laws to please us is beyond laughable.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »

Nay.

I'm not convinced that imposing trade restrictions upon a known tax haven will result in any layoffs, especially since we just pumped money into the economy via the stimulus act and those workers, even if they were laid off, would quickly be re-employed thanks to the jolt of new money into the economy.

Why is it that you don't care that rich Atlasians will continue to be able to dodge taxes if we do nothing here? Do you think the rich shouldn't pay taxes, or something, ZuWo? Why should the wealthy be allowed to skirt the law?

Unfortunately restrictions on Switzerland will not prevent a single rich Atlasian from dodging taxes since there are a couple of other "tax havens" on the list that will not be subject to any kind of restrictions. Rich Atlasians intent on dodging taxes can simply transfer their money to these places.

I think you underestimate the consequences of imposing economic restrictions on Switzerland. Not only will such a measure lead to retaliatory actions but there are also many Swiss companies with significant branches in Atlasia (Victorinox, producer of the famous Swiss army knives, is a prominent example). These companies will be forced to relocate production to other countries, and considering the dire situation of the Atlasian economy I am surprised that you take the potential loss of Atlasian jobs so lightly.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »

AYE

We can go after tax cheaters in a way that doesn't risk jobs and such is the better course with the economic situation we have. We don't know what the economy will do until we get another round of reports. We shouldn't treat the the stimulus as some kind of jobs charge account when it might even not have been enough as it is.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »

I don't like cheaters!
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »

Aye
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »

Nay
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 03:29:19 PM »

Nay
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 04:33:28 PM »

Nay
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »

For your information, Atlasia exported goods worth of $26 billion to Switzerland last year, a sum which is expected to increase this year. I'm not sure if tariffs and embargoes will be a boon for Atlasian enterprises (and their employees) which export goods to Switzerland.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »

3-4-0-3

Hagrid, Polnut and sbane have yet to vote here.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2013, 01:10:32 AM »

Aye
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 01:19:04 AM »

I'm very torn over this, but my concern is which option will have the better long-term practical effect on our economy.

I'm voting Aye, although with reservations.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2013, 07:46:05 PM by Emperor SJoyce »

So I have a few problems with this FPR…

-More sanctions on Turkey? We might not be best buddies with the AKP, and they might not be doing everything we want… but they're still a democracy and still a key regional power. I'm doubtful that tougher sanctions are what we want here.

-What is the rationale for the restrictions on Morocco and Lebanon?

-Why are we ratcheting up sanctions on Kuwait (in particular), as well as Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the UAE - and why are our sanctions on those 5 stricter than Bahrain? For instance, in Oman there were minor protests, the Sultan made concessions to the legislature and dismissed some people, and a few people died in the protests. In Bahrain Saudi Arabia basically invaded to put down a protest and upwards of 100 people died. I don't see the justification.

-How will regional troop deployments be affected by these new sanctions?

-Sort of wondering how the Armenians are getting off free; it's entirely possible that Sargsyan rigged their election.

-Both the Pakistanis and Israelis will be severely pissed. Not saying I don't agree with your decisio., just a warning and inquiry as to what the contingency plan is there.

-Yemen is missing, I hope the talks with Iran proceed, and the FSM, Palau, and Marshall Islands are part of Atlasia (State of Oceania).
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2013, 09:45:23 AM »

We're at 5-4 on the Swiss amendment, I PMed Hagrid. Then hopefully it can be wrapped up.

This would be a tough call - both sides make good points.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »

If not, I think it has two days left (whatever is five days total, I hate the ends of 31 day months).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States