George Zimmerman rescues family from car wreck:
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:04:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  George Zimmerman rescues family from car wreck:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: George Zimmerman rescues family from car wreck:  (Read 5757 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »

I think having the death threats against him stop might be a good compensation.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »

Death threats are a lot less than what Trayvon Martin got from this thug.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »

Yeah this really has nothing to do with race. It has to do with that Zimmerman gunned someone down in cold blood.

Do you know what the phrase "in cold blood means"?  I don't think it includes having your face knocked in.

If he hadn't been stalking him, he wouldn't have got his ass handed to him. And instead of fighting back with his fists and/or taking his deserved beating like a man, he resorts to pulling out a gun and killing the kid.

Let's face it, guys. Zimmerman is a racist, a coward and the worst kind of wimp. Why defend him at all?

Because the idea that people can keep throwing out all these unsupported assertions just because they don't like a verdict is offensive to a concern for the truth and to due process.   And it's being used to prop up this idea that self-defense should not be allowed except under unrealistic conditions. 

I'm not even speaking to the verdict here, I'm just speaking to the fact that what Zimmerman did makes him a very bad person.

Do you believe in compensation though? He did a good deed. There are two sides to look at here.

Will this supposed good deed bring the kid he shot to death back to life?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:55 PM »

Ah America.  Instead of focusing on the real, complex issues behind the tragic events we just sensationalize a story, group people into two warring camps and accomplish nothing resembling discourse.   

It may be profoundly unfair, but the Martin kid was likely bound to be nothing of 'value' to society. There is a good chance he could have been locked up within a few years time. Another forgotten statistic. The cringe inducing ignorance and violent culture that is so often celebrated is a trap he probably would have fallen right into. (especially if his friend was any indicator) The dwindling opportunities for Americans of all colors is another pitfall.
Then you have the Zimmerman cowboy. A Charlie Bronson, armed to the teeth with nothing but his fear and inadequacies to fuel him.

And you know in many ways America has gotten better.  It is safer than it used to be, but you wouldnt know that if you watched TV.  However, the simplistic nature of our debates worries me. Large question on economic justice, guns, culture et al are never discussed without turning into a simplistic shouting match. maybe it has always been this way, anytime and everywhere.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 10:12:51 PM »

However, the simplistic nature of our debates worries me. Large question on economic justice, guns, culture et al are never discussed without turning into a simplistic shouting match. maybe it has always been this way, anytime and everywhere.

Cable news and talk radio have succeeded in constructing two alternate realities.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »

The only way Zimmerman ever would have received equal punishment is if he got the death penalty. I doubt you're suddenly for that just for political expediency.

(And just by the by, I am not one of the crowd who thinks that this alone makes up for what he did. In most cases, I do believe in redemption, but it takes a lifetime of doing, and rightly so.)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »

The only way Zimmerman ever would have received equal punishment is if he got the death penalty. I doubt you're suddenly for that just for political expediency.

(And just by the by, I am not one of the crowd who thinks that this alone makes up for what he did. In most cases, I do believe in redemption, but it takes a lifetime of doing, and rightly so.)

He did a good deed today.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »

However, the simplistic nature of our debates worries me. Large question on economic justice, guns, culture et al are never discussed without turning into a simplistic shouting match. maybe it has always been this way, anytime and everywhere.

Cable news and talk radio have succeeded in constructing two alternate realities.

Yeah but everyone has gone along for the ride. I think most have a vague notion that they should care about the news so they will latch on to a 'story' and follow it. However, they'll just parrott whatever talking points are out there or just fall into their pre-defined manner of categorizing the news. And as we know every story needs a hero and villain. We follow our news like bedtime stories. So we now all drift into our stupors with the soothing sounds of Bill Anchorhair telling us what we should be afraid of.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »

I won't deny. But he's going to need a lot more to make up for killing a kid out of what frankly amounted to paranoia, racial or otherwise.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2013, 11:04:25 PM »

I won't deny. But he's going to need a lot more to make up for killing a kid out of what frankly amounted to paranoia, racial or otherwise.

killing someone out of paranoia is a pretty accurate description.  and one does not simply make up for killing someone through good deeds -  there's no way to do that, and it diminishes the victim's value to suggest that it can.  what it does accomplish - or at least should - is make people question the simplicity of the role in a social justice morality play they believe he represents.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2013, 11:30:01 PM »

Did he get ahold of Cory Booker's PR team?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2013, 11:44:46 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2013, 11:48:11 PM by Be Revolutionary Till Death »

Also would he have done so if it was a black family? I think we know the answer.

Zimmerman would probably approve of Leopold II if he knew who he was.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2013, 11:58:26 PM »

Also would he have done so if it was a black family? I think we know the answer.

Zimmerman would probably approve of Leopold II if he knew who he was.

How do you even know it wasn't a black family?  Minivans aren't just for white people.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2013, 12:02:40 AM »

Confirmed to be a white family:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2374033/EXCLUSIVE-The-family-George-Zimmerman-rescued-horrific-car-wreck-Florida-highway-week--mile-shot-Trayvon-Martin-dead.html
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »

Honestly I think it's shameful how many of my fellow left-wingers have reacted to this story. Literally everything from people comparing him to Assad's security forces to people desperately trying to "handwave" the entire incident by suggesting it somehow "never even happened". Jesus don't you people have any nuance or perspective about things? You have this notion in your heads that it is somehow physically impossible for George Zimmerman do do anything good ever, or have anything other then sheer malice in his heart.

You should be personally ashamed of yourselves for saying it's okay for death threats to be delivered on Zimmerman's family because Trayvon is dead.

I'm really offended by people having the stupidity and Gaul to compare the violent beating and savaging of Emit Till to this shady grey situation involving someone defending himself. Was it stupid for Zimmerman to follow Trayvon? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that the law was not broken until Trayvon attacked Zimmerman. Fact. I'm sick of watching MSNBC and hearing my fellow liberals advocate practically making it illegal to defend yourself outside of your home in response to this. Stop acting like it's the 1920's where a black kid can be shot 20 times, hanged, and thrown in the river and the death ruled a suicide.

I heard on NPR the other day this guys who said "nothing has changed". ing seriously? That is the dumbest thing I've heard all week.

I'm personally glad the President and others are shifting the conversation away from the case itself so we can finally have a real conversation about the "soft" unconscious racism in America. But foe heaven's sake can we stop trying to project literally everything bad onto George Zimmerman personally.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2013, 12:08:14 AM »

Zimmerman is a jackass and someone is dead because of his idiotic paranoia. The guy is pure trash. Neighborhood watchmen are bad enough, but at least they are usually just nosy assholes, not killers.

Also Zimmerman killing people without remorse is why he's comparable to Syrian soldiers.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2013, 12:09:29 AM »

Anyone else imagining BRTD sitting at a bar, six beers deep, rabidly typing posts from his phone while watching MSNBC on the TV?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »

I wish this would all just go away.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2013, 12:11:53 AM »

Perhaps appropriately several of these posts were made wandering around strange neighborhoods after dark while playing Ingress. And never once being asked why I was there or tailed by some creepy asshole.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2013, 12:12:50 AM »

Perhaps appropriately several of these posts were made wandering around strange neighborhoods after dark while playing Ingress. And never once being asked why I was there or tailed by some creepy asshole.

But were you eating Skittles? Did you taste the rainbow?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »

Nah but I saw a ton of blacks in hoodies and never freaked out.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:33 AM »

Does Minneapolis have neighborhood watchmen?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2013, 12:19:41 AM »

I see stupid neighborhood watch signs in some neighborhoods but doubt they are patrolled by vigilante jackasses. Or really do anything but put up signs. Neighborhood watch in Whittier is near impossible since its always full of people not from the neighborhood.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2013, 12:20:54 AM »

That guy is always at a specific place at a moment. Sounds fishy.

Was there to kill the dangerous black guy, was there to "rescue" a family.

Either it's a wanna-be hero, an attention whore or worse, an inverted Munchausen.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2013, 12:53:11 AM »

Honestly I think it's shameful how many of my fellow left-wingers have reacted to this story. Literally everything from people comparing him to Assad's security forces to people desperately trying to "handwave" the entire incident by suggesting it somehow "never even happened". Jesus don't you people have any nuance or perspective about things? You have this notion in your heads that it is somehow physically impossible for George Zimmerman do do anything good ever, or have anything other then sheer malice in his heart.

You should be personally ashamed of yourselves for saying it's okay for death threats to be delivered on Zimmerman's family because Trayvon is dead.

I'm really offended by people having the stupidity and Gaul to compare the violent beating and savaging of Emit Till to this shady grey situation involving someone defending himself. Was it stupid for Zimmerman to follow Trayvon? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that the law was not broken until Trayvon attacked Zimmerman. Fact. I'm sick of watching MSNBC and hearing my fellow liberals advocate practically making it illegal to defend yourself outside of your home in response to this. Stop acting like it's the 1920's where a black kid can be shot 20 times, hanged, and thrown in the river and the death ruled a suicide.

I heard on NPR the other day this guys who said "nothing has changed". ing seriously? That is the dumbest thing I've heard all week.

I'm personally glad the President and others are shifting the conversation away from the case itself so we can finally have a real conversation about the "soft" unconscious racism in America. But foe heaven's sake can we stop trying to project literally everything bad onto George Zimmerman personally.
I feel as though this is the sentiment I was failing to get across.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies