1984: Askew/Glenn vs Reagan/Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:02:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1984: Askew/Glenn vs Reagan/Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1984: Askew/Glenn vs Reagan/Bush  (Read 1339 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:43:03 PM »

Former Florida Governor Rubin Askew wins the Democratic nomination for president in 1984, and chooses Ohio senator John Glenn as his running mate, how well would they do against Reagan/Bush?, what would the map on election day look like, discuss with maps.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »

I can't imagine a bigger landslide. Mondale only carried Minnesota because it was his home state so we're at least looking at a 50 state sweep. Reagan wins 62-37.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »

What about Ernest Hollings as the nominee? Would he win more states?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:30:12 PM »

I don't think anyone wins more than a state or two against Reagan in 1984. Hollings would do terrible as well and don't know where he could win.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »

I can't imagine a bigger landslide. Mondale only carried Minnesota because it was his home state so we're at least looking at a 50 state sweep. Reagan wins 62-37.

Mondale was a pretty weak candidate, in my opinion. Even if Reagan manages a 50 state re-election, it won't be as "deep" due to a stronger Democratic popular vote total.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2013, 05:21:44 PM by MATTROSE94 »

I don't think anyone wins more than a state or two against Reagan in 1984. Hollings would do terrible as well and don't know where he could win.
Ernest Hollings definately would have lost Minnesota and poll somewhat worse in the Northeast against Ronald Reagan. Hollings might have carried South Carolina, but that might not have been possible as Reagan received 63% of the vote in that state. I think that it is conceivably possible for Reagan to have won every state against Hollings and receive 62% of the vote. In retrospect Gary Hart would have done the best in 1984, but still might have only won in New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Colorado, DC and maybe Iowa and Vermont.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »

Ernest Hollings definately would have lost Minnesota and poll somewhat worse in the Northeast against Ronald Reagan. Hollings might have carried South Carolina, but that might not have been possible as Reagan received 63% of the vote in that state. I think that it is conceivably possible for Reagan to have won every state against Hollings and receive 62% of the vote. In retrospect Gary Hart would have done the best in 1984, but still might have only won in New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Colorado, DC and maybe Iowa and Vermont.

I don't think Hart could've won Colorado at the presidential level.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies