revolutionizing the money-form
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:08:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  revolutionizing the money-form
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: revolutionizing the money-form  (Read 898 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »

I've come across this idea twice, independently mentioned by David Harvey and Richard Wolff.  Marx argued that gold and silver were chosen to embody the money-form because they did not oxidize, allowing for the accumulation of exchange-value.  we've carried this over into today's money form, at times even encouraging accumulation (or 'savings') via interest rates.  however: what-if we moved to an 'oxidizing' form of money, replete with an expiration date as on a coupon, that would disappear if not put back into the market by the certain date?  a variation on this is Wolff's idea to charge a renewal rate on the money, say, a 5% tax every month.

I'm sure the standard answer will be "the rich will just find other ways to accumulate exchange-values, you fool", and I'd like to pierce beyond this if at all possible.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »

What is the point of this? 

Seems like a horrible idea because it encourages inefficient strategic decisions in order to avoid having cash and would needlessly complicate and impede the financial system.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »

What exactly is your problem with the current monetary system. The rich don't put all their cash in a swimming pool like Scrooge McDuck.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »

If the point is to prevent the rich from accumulating exchange, I don't see why the same ends can't be accomplished through an undistributed profits tax, various property taxes, or simple inflation.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »

We already have such a system.  It's called fiat money with planned low levels of inflation.  Of course, more explicit systems have been tried such as in Alberta in the 1930's under the Social Credit Party, but the administrative burdens involved in having money itself be subjected to a tax have proven to be far greater than with inflationary fiat money.
t_host1

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:54 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2013, 10:58:38 PM by t_host1 »

A revolution of money forming is the value, what it is made of has its importance, however not the most; it’s what money is traded for that creates the standard to which one chooses to live.
 The idea you describe functions like a merchant gift card that expires, the one that benefits are the gift card/currency creators, which does fit for a Marx economy.
 Oxidizing currency is already happening as Ernest has pointed out - - -compunding taxation and regulation via multi-levels of government has the oxidizing process well underway.

Oxidization; adj, the integration of Democrats’ and Labor Unions consumption of value. The oxidization of Detroit has been completed.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »

well when I saw that t-host had replied to this thread I knew I was in for a treat.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 04:29:26 AM »

What do you want to achieve? I don't really get it.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »

well when I saw that t-host had replied to this thread I knew I was in for a treat.

A treat, say you! it is pleasure of mine, provided is that which you know not the value currency happens to be; gold (g-old) money
t_host1

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2013, 02:58:40 PM by t_host1 »

Came across this story with a "carbon currency" search,

There is a remarkable correlation between Tweeds and this; http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/19380

What is also very telling, are the schools involved.

I wondering if "Carbonless Currency*" would be any more valuable within this type of theorem.

*Carbonless Currency backed by the production1 of carbonless electricity, that is in a carbon form (actual currency), secured and easily tradable with another, physically.

1Mid-evil carnival ride.

Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 09:01:04 AM »

Our money already oxidize, it is called Inflation!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies