George Zimmerman verdict?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 09:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  George Zimmerman verdict?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Poll
Question: What will the verdict be?
Guilty 2nd degree murder

Guilty manslaughter

Not Guilty

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: George Zimmerman verdict?  (Read 8442 times)
Link
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »

Seeing someone out of place in the neighborhood is probably a reason to watch, and not illegal.

I cannot believe in 2013 I just read this.  Just when you think we've made progress in this country...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »

Seeing someone out of place in the neighborhood is probably a reason to watch, and not illegal.

I cannot believe in 2013 I just read this.  Just when you think we've made progress in this country...

You should.  14 years ago, I was in a neighborhood and some came out of his house and basically asked me, politely, what the Hell I was doing there.  That pretty much convinced me I should move in, to North Philadelphia.  I want neighbors who look out for me.

Link, you might want to check the demographics of North Philadelphia.  Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »

So I should ask every single person I see in my neighborhood that I don't recognize why they're there? Then I'd be quite busy every time I go outside.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »

So I should ask every single person I see in my neighborhood that I don't recognize why they're there? Then I'd be quite busy every time I go outside.

Mine isn't and we are close knit.  What are the demographics of my neighborhood, BRTD?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2013, 08:12:07 PM »

Mine isn't and we are close knit.  What are the demographics of my neighborhood, BRTD?

Irrelevant. The point is that I see people I don't recognize here EVERY SINGLE TIME I go outside unless it's like 3AM or something (and sometimes even then.)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »

Irrelevant. The point is that I see people I don't recognize here EVERY SINGLE TIME I go outside unless it's like 3AM or something (and sometimes even then.)

Many neighborhoods are not like yours.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »

Not all neighborhoods are like this. Some neighborhoods don't like strangers and defend each other against possible attacks. My parents' gated neighborhood is like this. Not everyone lives in an area where roamers run rampant and strangers are free to enter. If you ask me, I think the gated community sounds safer anyway.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »

Not all neighborhoods are like this. Some neighborhoods don't like strangers and defend each other against possible attacks. My parents' gated neighborhood is like this. Not everyone lives in an area where roamers run rampant and strangers are free to enter. If you ask me, I think the gated community sounds safer anyway.

I live in what BRTD would classify as a ghetto.  It is not gated, but it a close knit neighborhood where people do watch out for each other.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2013, 09:29:01 PM »

I live in a hipster neighborhood full of coffeeshops and hordes of ethnic restaurants. There's always someone out not from here. Plus how am I going to recognize every single person from an apartment a block away? Luckily we are a welcoming and non-xenophobic place.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »

I live in a hipster neighborhood full of coffeeshops and hordes of ethnic restaurants. There's always someone out not from here. Plus how am I going to recognize every single person from an apartment a block away? Luckily we are a welcoming and non-xenophobic place.

We are quite inclusive, but we watch out for each other.  Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2013, 09:36:43 AM »

BRTD doesn't have the cahones to walk down J.J.'s street......I'm not sure I do either.  Wink
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »

J.J., you agreed above that Zimmerman should not have gotten out of his car.  Why?  Isn't it because Martin could have been provoked by that action, or because the action could have brought danger to the lives of both Martin and Zimmerman?  If that's so, then some aspects of Zimmerman's pursuit were provocative.  The dispatcher knew this, which is why Zimmerman was advised to stay put. 

We're all coming to unwarranted conclusions here because we don't know exactly what happened.  But, to me, I think we should understand this incident not to satisfy anyone's sense of "outrage," but because there could be important lessons in it.

I'm personally more distressed by the crushingly tragic numbers of deaths in the streets of Chicago these days than by this incident.  Way too many children getting cut down by stray bullets--it's terrible.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »

J.J., you agreed above that Zimmerman should not have gotten out of his car.  Why?  Isn't it because Martin could have been provoked by that action, or because the action could have brought danger to the lives of both Martin and Zimmerman?  If that's so, then some aspects of Zimmerman's pursuit were provocative.  The dispatcher knew this, which is why Zimmerman was advised to stay put. 

I think it was dangerous for both, as it turned out to be.  I'm not sure it was provocative.  Was Zimmerman actually following Martin when he got out?  Did Martin decide that it would be a good chance to jump him, and that he'd hide along Zimmerman's possible path?  Zimmerman at least claimed he got out to check the street sign.  Were the names changed recently, and he wasn't sure?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I actually didn't conclude anything until the trial.  I think it will be interesting to see if Martin's family files a wrongful death suit.  I certainly think the prosecution did not prove Zimmerman committed murder or manslaughter and the closest thing to a racial threat came from Martin, from the testimony, and it was prosecution witness.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:56 AM »

So then people in my neighborhood don't as we don't harass anyone we see that we don't recognize? Though I must ask how I'm going to know and recognize all 15,000 residents.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »

So then people in my neighborhood don't as we don't harass anyone we see that we don't recognize? Though I must ask how I'm going to know and recognize all 15,000 residents.

Asking isn't harassing anyone.  I'm sorry if you don't understand that. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »

Many neighborhoods are not like yours.

Scary...

But even then, in a free society, unless we are talking of a private club, only open to paying members and their registered guests, asking a random stranger, what he is doing there, is, at least, highly inappropriate.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2013, 04:59:36 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2013, 11:28:00 PM by ag »

We are quite inclusive, but we watch out for each other.  Smiley

Asking isn't harassing anyone.  I'm sorry if you don't understand that.  

But the appropriate non-harassing response is to tell the questioner to go frook  himself. Any other answer would be inadequate.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

BRTD doesn't have the cahones to walk down J.J.'s street......I'm not sure I do either.  Wink

"Cojones", sir. It is "cojones".

And, yeah, I'd, probably, be dead if I ever dared to show up in the J.J. neighborhood.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2013, 05:03:21 PM »

You should.  14 years ago, I was in a neighborhood and some came out of his house and basically asked me, politely, what the Hell I was doing there.  That pretty much convinced me I should move in, to North Philadelphia.  I want neighbors who look out for me.

Link, you might want to check the demographics of North Philadelphia.  Smiley

You should move to North Pyongyang. They, actually, appoint a leader to look up for you there.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »

Where has the liberty gone?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »

If I saw a black kid walking in my neighborhood, I would assume he was the child of one of my neighbors, rather than a criminal.  Knowing that there were lots of blacks who live in the neighborhood, why didn't Zimmerman make that same assumption?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »

If I saw a black kid walking in my neighborhood, I would assume he was the child of one of my neighbors, rather than a criminal.  Knowing that there were lots of blacks who live in the neighborhood, why didn't Zimmerman make that same assumption?

I'm not sure that there were a lot of black kids, or kids.  Also, Zimmerman did call 911 on white kids.  That was brought out at trial.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »

Asking isn't harassing anyone.  I'm sorry if you don't understand that. 

But the appropriate non-harassing response is to tell the questioner to go  himself. Any other answer would be inadequate.

On what planet?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2013, 10:24:59 PM »

I'm going to do an experiment right now. I'm going to leave my apartment and walk around the block once. And then I'm going to count every single person I don't recognize but see. And don't question why they're there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »

Well due to all the people at outdoor tables at cafes and restaurants this might not be possible. But I've already seen four people just walking down one street. One of whom reeked of pot when I passed him.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies