What helps Job Creation more: Infrastructure, Education, Tax Cuts, or Other?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 01:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What helps Job Creation more: Infrastructure, Education, Tax Cuts, or Other?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What is the best public policy path for Job Creation  in the current United States?
Infrastructure
Education
Tax Cuts
Other (please specify)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What helps Job Creation more: Infrastructure, Education, Tax Cuts, or Other?  (Read 798 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »

Other- Large innovative public projects that will mature into large private sector industries.  et. DARPANet, the Interstate, the Manhattan Project, Apollo Program. For capitalism to work, we need to rely on things that are not invented yet.
A lot of that would fall under Infrastructure.

And honestly, I love science and technology and space exploration, and by all means we should continue and increase our funding for them... but... the truth that everyone has been trying to ignore for years is that our improving technologies make less jobs necessary. It's only a matter of time before almost everything is automated. There will still be jobs requiring creative and critical thinking, which machines can't do that well, but they won't be enough jobs to employ everyone aged 18-70. A big paradigm shift is coming, but that's another discussion.

My point is, research projects aren't necessarily Job Creation. Besides, it's not these types of workers that are unemployed or partially-employed or in terrible jobs rights now. There aren't enough of those math/science graduates, actually, they don't have an unemployment problem. It's everyone else.

And that gets us back to whether the center-right has it right on higher level education reform (more funding for STEM, less for everyone else) or make it harder to get into a Business or Social Studies program.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 06:11:38 PM »

War has historically been good for job creation. Though it should be large scale war, small wars like Afghanistan and Iraq don't work. And it's a bit of a gamble, if you loose the war things will probably get a lot worse than before, but if you win you've secured some pretty good economic and job development not just during the war, but after it as well. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 06:57:51 PM »

Infrastructure, Education, and Confidence.

Tax cuts can incite confidence I guess, but it's not very efficient at doing so.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »

We need to make a commitment to our roads, airports, sea ports, and rail.  It is shameful that we haven't installed high speed rail in the Northeast corridor.  I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to hop a train to New York, Boston, or DC and taken a plane or car instead.

You are part of a small minority. Look at how much money the rails in the northeast lose already. Do you really think high speed rail is going to change that? If there was enough demand for it, it would be done already. The fact of the matter is, no one wants it, and its a waste of money as a result. People, for better or worse, simply prefer their own cars.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »

We need to make a commitment to our roads, airports, sea ports, and rail.  It is shameful that we haven't installed high speed rail in the Northeast corridor.  I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to hop a train to New York, Boston, or DC and taken a plane or car instead.

You are part of a small minority. Look at how much money the rails in the northeast lose already. Do you really think high speed rail is going to change that? If there was enough demand for it, it would be done already. The fact of the matter is, no one wants it, and its a waste of money as a result. People, for better or worse, simply prefer their own cars.

Amtrak makes money on the Northeast Corridor, actually.  Where it loses money is on those cross-country routes that have to go super-slow because freight lines have priority.  Local transit authorities do require some level of subsidy, but the same can be said of virtually any mode of passenger transportation ever, anywhere.

And people "prefer their own cars" because seventy years of government policy have granted massive, massive (and apparently invisible) subsidies to car owners while starving all other modes, as well as associated issues such as induced demand. 
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »

I'm starting to lean towards infrastructure now. Think about how short term funding for highways can boost transportation leading to tourism and interstate trade. I don't like a lot of government involvement but if it helps then why not give it a chance. I'm also still in favor of tax cuts and furthering education for those who wish to pursue an according degree.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies