New Russian law: Gay people dont exist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:54:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Russian law: Gay people dont exist
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Russian law: Gay people dont exist  (Read 2511 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
« edited: July 08, 2013, 09:56:08 AM by CTRattlesnake »

http://www.thefrisky.com/2013-06-13/russian-law-would-pretend-gay-people-dont-exist/

I actually laughed at this part

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Gay adoption is also illegal

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/03/putin-signs-russia-gay-adoption-ban_n_3540162.html

Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »

August Putsch, plz.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »

Wouldn't be great if was ousted ala Mubarak in 2011?

Any uprising against him would probably turn into a civil war though. We like to forget that Putin does have a substantial base of support.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »

It also wouldn't do anything; the laws were passed unanimously in the Duma.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »

There religion goes again......
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:31:07 PM »

Ah, the current Duma would pass a law ordering castration of all its (male) members without a murmur. The communists might dissent, as would a couple of the braver Fair Russia types, but the rest would make dutiful speeches on why it is necessary. Of course, those speeches would not mean their authors themselves wouldn't be bribing the authorized surgeons, so that the latter, in fact, perform a circumcision instead of a proper castration, when the MP himself has to present his dick for blood-letting. So, don't take these votes very seriously Smiley

Still, can't argue that these particular laws aren't too unpopular, as far as an average Russian is concerned.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »

Are the gas chambers ready yet,  I wonder?

I mean the only way to ensure that gay people don't exist is to actually make them non-existent.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:44 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 12:12:52 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

There religion goes again......

Russia is not, as I understand it, a remarkably religious country, at least not for its part of the world. The majority of the population, possibly even the majority of the part of the population that identifies as Russian Orthodox, do not regularly attend religious services, and last year a sociological study was published indicating that thirty-eight per cent of the population defines itself as either 'Spiritual but not religious' or 'Atheist and non-religious'. This unanimous Duma here includes quite a few communists. They are, in fact, the second-largest party. Even so, by all means continue with your trite, ignorant proclamations about the undifferentiated bugbear of religion if it makes you happy.

Horrible law, obviously. Just...truly awful.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 12:33:43 AM »

Russia is not, as I understand it, a remarkably religious country, at least not for its part of the world. The majority of the population, possibly even the majority of the part of the population that identifies as Russian Orthodox, do not regularly attend religious services, and last year a sociological study was published indicating that thirty-eight per cent of the population defines itself as either 'Spiritual but not religious' or 'Atheist and non-religious'. This unanimous Duma here includes quite a few communists. They are, in fact, the second-largest party.

Russian Communism is a religion of its own, anyways Smiley And, of course, in recent years the Orthodox-Communist sincretic cult has been rapidly emerging Smiley

At night, when nobody's watching, Lenin's body must be turning quite a bit in its bed. Somebody should place a little electric installation there - they could, probably, run air-conditioning in Putin's Kremlin office of it Smiley
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 12:43:09 AM »

And, of course, in recent years the Orthodox-Communist sincretic cult has been rapidly emerging Smiley

Oh, naturally, but I don't really think it's directly comparable to Baptists in the Deep South or what-have-you. Still deeply concerning, but in a way that I think deserves a slightly more involved level of analysis than 'RELIGION IS BAD GUYS!!!'.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:47:18 AM »

And, of course, in recent years the Orthodox-Communist sincretic cult has been rapidly emerging Smiley

Oh, naturally, but I don't really think it's directly comparable to Baptists in the Deep South or what-have-you. Still deeply concerning, but in a way that I think deserves a slightly more involved level of analysis than 'RELIGION IS BAD GUYS!!!'.

Hey, if you only knew some of those Commie types - Alabama baptists are naugty children next to them. Nothing sustains personal private morals of a human being like a good old-fashioned Communist party meeting Smiley
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 12:54:29 AM »

Hey, if you only knew some of those Commie types - Alabama baptists are naugty children next to them. Nothing sustains personal private morals of a human being like a good old-fashioned Communist party meeting Smiley

Oh, believe me, I've met some of these people. There's a very active Trotskyist group on my campus.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 02:05:59 AM »

Oh, believe me, I've met some of these people. There's a very active Trotskyist group on my campus.

Nah, these aren't the types. Good old Soviet apparatchiks are even greater fun.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 04:33:02 AM »

Yeah, by and large, Trotskyists (I should know, I am one) tend to be a little more up to date on moral and social subjects than good old Stalin era nostalgic Commies.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 04:50:18 AM »

Oh, Lord. Yeah, I...yeah. I can but imagine.

Zanas is right in my experience in that the Trotskyists do seem to have a pretty good understanding of what different issues and flashpoints are, even if I think their positions on and atttitudes towards them are often ill-considered or fanatical or both. (Remember that these are well-meaning, middle-class, predominantly lily-white American university student Trotskyists.)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 05:43:24 AM »

Speaking of the Baptists, there's a growing Evangelical Christian populace in Russia primarily Baptist and Pentecoastal.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 07:18:52 AM »

Russia is not, as I understand it, a remarkably religious country, at least not for its part of the world. The majority of the population, possibly even the majority of the part of the population that identifies as Russian Orthodox, do not regularly attend religious services, and last year a sociological study was published indicating that thirty-eight per cent of the population defines itself as either 'Spiritual but not religious' or 'Atheist and non-religious'. This unanimous Duma here includes quite a few communists. They are, in fact, the second-largest party. Even so, by all means continue with your trite, ignorant proclamations about the undifferentiated bugbear of religion if it makes you happy.

The power and influence of the Russian Orthodox Church has been growing since 2000. Don't kid yourself.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »

The power and influence of the Russian Orthodox Church has been growing since 2000. Don't kid yourself.
What about the atheist Communists who strongly supported it and would be happy for the law to go even further?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 12:13:18 PM »

What about the atheist Communists who strongly supported it and would be happy for the law to go even further?

One doesn't have to be religious to be influenced by the predominant culture. Orthodox Christian morals have a historical impact on Russian culture far greater then the Bolsheviks.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 12:54:04 PM »

One doesn't have to be religious to be influenced by the predominant culture. 
I see, so it's the culture, not their religion. Thanks for that clarification.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:51 PM »

One doesn't have to be religious to be influenced by the predominant culture. Orthodox Christian morals have a historical impact on Russian culture far greater then the Bolsheviks.

It has little to do w/ Orthodoxy per se. It's just the general archaicism and xenophobia of the society. Gays are not much different from the Jews or the Americans here - just derogatory terms, really, not that much more.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 11:53:28 PM »

Don't be silly. The religion affects and shapes the culture.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 03:49:59 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2013, 03:54:52 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

Don't be silly. The religion affects and shapes the culture.

Regardless, it might behoove us to consider the specifics of this process, including the fact that Russia is still less religious than many, many countries with significantly more liberal policies in this area, rather than asserting that the situation is somehow directly attributable to 'religion' without any further qualification at all, mightn't it?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies