Hypothetical: The death penalty for Adolf Hitler
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:13:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Hypothetical: The death penalty for Adolf Hitler
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
For (normally pro-death penalty)

For (normally anti-death penalty)

Against

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Hypothetical: The death penalty for Adolf Hitler  (Read 3441 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »

Someone like Hitler did things that were so unspeakable to so many people that he doesn't belong on the same planet as civilized people.  And keeping him alive would keep Nazism alive in a sense.  I would support the death penalty for Hitler and if you one of you wimps got your way and Hitler was living in some country club prison, I would go there and kill him myself. 

Woah, you're such a man.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »

Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »

Very encouraged by these results. The death penalty should be opposed in all circumstances.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »

Probably Option 2, although I'm not so much for or against the death penalty as much as I think it should be left to the states.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 04:19:47 PM »

The difference between Hitler and other servants of capital has been greatly exaggerated.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »

What's so important to you people about being against the death penalty across the board?  There's no slippery slope from Hitler to a kid who stole a loaf of bread from the bodega. 

Someone like Hitler did things that were so unspeakable to so many people that he doesn't belong on the same planet as civilized people.  And keeping him alive would keep Nazism alive in a sense.  I would support the death penalty for Hitler and if you one of you wimps got your way and Hitler was living in some country club prison, I would go there and kill him myself. 

Really, does anyone want Hitler writing Mein Kampf 2: Electric Boogaloo?
After that tirade I actually would feel better about you receiving the death penalty.

I'm sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities.  I was being somewhat facetious. 

But, I think you guys have a sheltered worldview.  Personally, I've seen innocent people get murdered on the street for no good reason.  I've had close friends who were murdered.  If you understood how that felt, you might feel differently.  My heart breaks for those innocent people so much that I have no compassion for evil mass murders.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:57 PM »

What's so important to you people about being against the death penalty across the board?  There's no slippery slope from Hitler to a kid who stole a loaf of bread from the bodega. 

After that tirade I actually would feel better about you receiving the death penalty.

Oh, wow, a death threat. Isn't your dick big or what. Have fun answering to the mods, you sorry, maladjusted sociopath.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »

I'm anti-death penalty, but not because I think that capital punishment for the most heinous crimes is inherently wrong, but because the system in the United States means that a lot of minority poors without adequate legal representation are wrongly convicted and killed. If there was some way to somehow 100% ascertain whether or not someone committed the crime, then I'd be okay with the death penalty. But the risk of putting to death innocent people is too great, IMO.

In cases like Hitler, though, we know he "did it." So I have no problem with the death penalty for him.

This, also I will add that executing him would prevent him from having a political cult while behind bars, even as a prisoner in permanent solitary he would have had the ability to rally nazis and such given he had developed a cult of personality in Germany that remained all the way until his death.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »

I'm anti-death penalty, but not because I think that capital punishment for the most heinous crimes is inherently wrong, but because the system in the United States means that a lot of minority poors without adequate legal representation are wrongly convicted and killed. If there was some way to somehow 100% ascertain whether or not someone committed the crime, then I'd be okay with the death penalty. But the risk of putting to death innocent people is too great, IMO.

In cases like Hitler, though, we know he "did it." So I have no problem with the death penalty for him.

This pretty much sums up my opinion better than I did.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 12:01:43 AM »

Also, 53% of the forum opposing the death penalty for Hitler may be one of the craziest, farthest outside the mainstream poll results in this forum's history.

I imagine a similar poll taken of the United States would be >90% in favor.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 12:12:12 AM »

Also, 53% of the forum opposing the death penalty for Hitler may be one of the craziest, farthest outside the mainstream poll results in this forum's history.

I imagine a similar poll taken of the United States would be >90% in favor.

Naw. The latest numbers from Gallup are 63-32 support. Death Penalty for Hitler might be 75-80%.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 05:03:44 AM »

I'm sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities.  I was being somewhat facetious. 

But, I think you guys have a sheltered worldview.  Personally, I've seen innocent people get murdered on the street for no good reason.  I've had close friends who were murdered.  If you understood how that felt, you might feel differently.  My heart breaks for those innocent people so much that I have no compassion for evil mass murders.

I completely understand; indeed I used to support the Death Penalty, but a lot of the reasoning behind my views on Capital Punishment was also completely emotional. However, I grew to realise that I personally could not intellectually justify the existance of Eye-for-an-Eye government revenge. I believe that the right to Life is the most fundamental right that exists, and I don't think life ought to be taken away from anybody, regardless of their circumstances.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 05:19:38 AM »

Oh, wow, a death threat. Isn't your dick big or what. Have fun answering to the mods, you sorry, maladjusted sociopath.

Are you deluded or do you simply lack the intellectual capacity to interpret statements? A simple definition of a Death Threat is; "a statement of an intention by the person making said statement to kill another person", and there are multiple reasons as to why my statement does not in any way fulfill this. I think the most obvious common sense reasoning is that Capital Punishment is a formal penalty, justified by law, that is instituted by the government. I do not have this power.
If my statement was out of order, the mods would have been on to it by now. But even if I may have to answer to the mods, you will need to engage in a full education on the literary front.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies