When does a 'child' become an 'adult' in Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:39:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  When does a 'child' become an 'adult' in Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When does a 'child' become an 'adult' in Christianity?  (Read 2024 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:17:17 PM »

I've been pondering this for the last few days.  I'm short on time, so I can't post the relevant passages now, but throughout the New Testament children are said to be perfect and almost sinless.  Jesus seemed to have a special love for them, more so than adults.  However, I don't recall the Bible explaining exactly when a child enters adulthood.  Are Christian children considered adults at the age Jewish children are considered "adults" (age thirteen), or does adulthood come later than that?  Or, am I taking this bit too literally?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »

Do you mean in terms of being able to choose/reject Christ or just adulthood in general?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »

In Catholicism the answer is at Confirmation. That is when the teen has decided to affirm for his or herself that they really believe in the Church's teachings. The effective result in society, however, is that children become adults when they leave their parents to go to college because until then the parents are really making many decisions for the child.

The notion of childlike innocence implies a much younger age than when people effectively become adults. This innocence takes on the understanding that children are too young to discern or understand or consent to most sins and thus commit few.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 11:33:58 PM »

In Catholicism the answer is at Confirmation. That is when the teen has decided to affirm for his or herself that they really believe in the Church's teachings. The effective result in society, however, is that children become adults when they leave their parents to go to college because until then the parents are really making many decisions for the child.

The notion of childlike innocence implies a much younger age than when people effectively become adults. This innocence takes on the understanding that children are too young to discern or understand or consent to most sins and thus commit few.

And that's why I don't like the idea of Confirmation. It wouldn't be so bad if it was at an older age, but mine was at 13, and I understand Catholic ones are about the same age. No kid at that age can truly claim that and know it. What percentage of my Confirmation class are Lutheran today? I'd estimate that about 25% aren't Christian at all, another 25% are some other type of Christian, and another 25% are really half-assed barely practicing Lutherans. Catholic confirmations from the same time as mine probably have similar numbers.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »

Yeah, I will agree with you BRTD (write that on the calendar Tongue) that Confirmation is done at too young an age for the individual statement to truly be meaningful. I think waiting until 17 or 18 would be preferable.

Additionally, most Catholics are pretty badly catechized and four more years should help with that some. Granted my 14 year old self would have balked at 4 more years of CCD class, but that's adolescence for you Smiley
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:15:25 AM »

Do you mean in terms of being able to choose/reject Christ or just adulthood in general?

The latter.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:18:45 AM »

This innocence takes on the understanding that children are too young to discern or understand or consent to most sins and thus commit few.

And yet at the age of 7, I was required to make my first confession. Anyone with any understanding of child development knows that a child at that age does not have a full sense of right and wrong or full understand their culpability in doing ‘wrong’ things. What sins does a 7 year old child have to confess? It’s been raised to 8 in my diocese since but it still seems premature to ask someone to make a commitment. I made my confirmation at age 11. At that age, I was still very much affected by my parents. If I was precocious enough to say ‘no I don’t want to get confirmed’ I’m pretty sure my mother would have simply replied ‘Yes you are!’ Smiley
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:16:05 AM »

The latter.

Ok

In the Calvinist tradition there isn't a set age. One can become a member of the church whenever the elders feel you are mentally and spiritually mature enough. Typically this is around 16-18, although I've seen kids as young as 14 get confirmed. Personally, I was 16.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:19:03 PM »

TJ beat me to it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 10:58:20 PM »

I don't see a set time in Christianity for becoming an adult.  The definition changes with different cultures and historical periods, even depending on the situation.  What the New Testament does say is that children should not be despised or excluded.  Jesus doesn't say that they are perfect, but rather that while the world sees them as lesser, they are a sign of the kingdom of God, and God's grace to those who are weak and small or haven't accomplished much in worldly terms.  There is a mention or two in the NT of infants as being innocent in a relative sense. I don't think there was any type of confirmation ritual widespread in early Christianity.  In the early Church it was common for children and infants to be baptized and given communion, with restrictions only coming later.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 09:29:15 AM »

I would probably say when they can think and act wisely and maturely, and be able to understand basic Christian doctrines.

Interestingly enough though, whenever children are mentioned in the Bible, they're used as a symbol for salvation.  For example, when King David's first son with Bathsheba dies in infancy, he says that "he will not come to me, but I will go to him."  Granted, the ancient Hebrews didn't really believe in an afterlife, but this still suggests salvation to me.  Likewise, you have at least two occasions in which Jesus says to accept the Kingdom of Heaven like a child.  I come from an Anabaptist denomination that opposes baptism/communion for babies; we do, however, dedicate children to God.  Personally, I would be fine with baptizing a baby as a form of dedication, just as long as it makes clear that it is the choice of the parents to raise him/her as a Christian, and not the choice of the child to become a Christian themselves.  My uncle is a Lutheran minister, and he did that for me.  I was baptized again at my discretion when I was 13, though.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:18:24 AM »

When they let Christ enter them? 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies