2013-14 Club Soccer/Football Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:22:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2013-14 Club Soccer/Football Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 40
Author Topic: 2013-14 Club Soccer/Football Discussion Thread  (Read 65043 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:57:03 PM »

Yes, I'm starting this already. I'm going through withdrawal and since the international tournament of the year is officially over, this gets the green light.  Smiley

League play (in leagues worth following) doesn't start until mid August but there's plenty of transfer news, gossip, etc. to occupy our time. Plus, in early August, the Emirates Cup returns with two of our most passionate posters' (Lief and yours truly) respective teams competing against each other!

Have at it, gentlemen.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »

Ah, the Emirates Cup. Finally a chance to end our trophy drought. Tongue

Arsenal has been rumored to be in for some great players (Higuain, Julio Cesar, Bender, Fellaini) so hopefully at least a few of those come to fruition.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »

Matches to watch this week..

July 3, 10:00 ET MLS  Seattle vs DC

July 4, 9:30 ET MLS New York vs Colorado... Thierry Henry and the Red Bulls are near the top of their half of the league.

July 5, 2:45 ET League of Ireland Premier division  Derry vs Dundalk. It's two of the top four clubs in the league squaring off.

July 6, 10:00 AM ET Swedish Alksvanliga   Elfborgs vs Atavdabergs... both teams are within striking distance of European paly

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 04:57:31 AM »

The most important games in July are, of course, happening on the 18th and 25th, when Hibs take on Malmo for a spot in the third qualifying round of the europa league.

We're screwed Sad
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »

In fact, the next big Tournament is already coming up: UEFA Women's Euro 2013 will be starting on July 10. It's only an Euro, so the last Women's WC finalist, Japan and the USA, do not participate, but nevertheless, it's an Euro ..

Sweden-Denmark (July 10), Germany-Netherlands (July 11) and England-Spain (July 12) make up for interesting opening matches in their respective groups. Italy will be taking part as well, Phil. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »

Italy will be taking part as well, Phil. 

I don't follow women's Soccer but best of luck to the Azzurri ladies.  Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:47:33 AM »

Azzurre, surely.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »

Ah, yes! I'll embarrassingly admit that as I was typing "Azzurri" I thought to myself, "I know there's feminine form that I ought to know." Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »

Cavani to PSG looks like a done deal for €64 million. Sad
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:30:29 PM »

Is Zlatan leaving? Not sure why PSG would need both.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »

Some people are talking about a swap but PSG supposedly wants the two of them up front so they'd be a monster attacking team. Both were the leading scoters in their respective leagues last season. I agree that it's overkill.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »

Some people are talking about a swap but PSG supposedly wants the two of them up front so they'd be a monster attacking team. Both were the leading scoters in their respective leagues last season. I agree that it's overkill.

Well Monaco is getting Falcao so I guess PSG wants to stay a step ahead of them. I wouldn't be surprised if Zlatan goes to some random new team that wants to pay him an obscene salary though (maybe Man City, he hasn't had a chance to become the season's top scorer in the Premier League yet).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »

Next week's games to watch...

July 7, 5:30 PM ET Botafogo vs Fluminiese @ Arena Percanumbo. A showdown of two of the top four teams in Brazil.

July 8, 1:07 ET  Helsingborg vs IFK @ Olympia Stadion. These are the top two teams in Sweden, IFK enters the week with a one point lead.

July 9, Copa Libredatores, Indepente Santa Fe vs Olimpia & Copa Do Brazil, Cruziero vs Goianese.
Both matches are at 8:50 ET

July 10, 6:00 AM Shimzu vs Kashima @ Kashima Soccer Stadium. A showdown of two of Japan's top ten.

July 13

Scotland Challenge Cup  Spartans vs Theaver
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »

Anyone else watching this silly Messi All Stars vs. World All Stars Friendly in Chicago? 4-4 and it's not even half time.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »

Looks like Pep is arrogantly casting off one of the best forwards in the world, Mario Gomez, because he doesn't fit into his precious tiki-taka system. Gomez will now proceed to easily score 20+ goals in Italy this season and probably be league top scorer.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »

Leonardo is resigning as PSG sporting director. This will drag out the Cavani saga...

Looks like Pep is arrogantly casting off one of the best forwards in the world, Mario Gomez, because he doesn't fit into his precious tiki-taka system. Gomez will now proceed to easily score 20+ goals in Italy this season and probably be league top scorer.

Yeah, unfortunately the deal with Napoli fell apart a few weeks ago. He's going to Fiorentina which might mean less playing time for my boy G. Rossi.  Sad  I wanted to see a way for him to get a spot in the World Cup squad! Cry
Goodwin
Goodwin45
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »

Any thoughts on Suarez? He wants champions league football next season - but Liverpool have already rejected a 30 million pound offer from Arsenal. Chelsea are apparently interested as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10170147/Arsenal-given-new-hope-as-Liverpool-striker-Luis-Suarez-admits-news-of-interest-is-good-to-know.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »

Any thoughts on Suarez? He wants champions league football next season - but Liverpool have already rejected a 30 million pound offer from Arsenal. Chelsea are apparently interested as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10170147/Arsenal-given-new-hope-as-Liverpool-striker-Luis-Suarez-admits-news-of-interest-is-good-to-know.html

There was talk about Napoli grabbing him but I haven't heard that in awhile.

By the way, training began for us today and Benitez (who now goes by the more Italian "Rafč" in honor of his new club) released a nice message to the fans!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »

Leonardo is resigning as PSG sporting director. This will drag out the Cavani saga...

Yeah, unfortunately the deal with Napoli fell apart a few weeks ago. He's going to Fiorentina which might mean less playing time for my boy G. Rossi.  Sad  I wanted to see a way for him to get a spot in the World Cup squad! Cry

Maybe they'll play with two strikers? That seems to be pretty common in Italy. Though it depends on how Rossi's recovery is going.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »

Maybe they'll play with two strikers? That seems to be pretty common in Italy. Though it depends on how Rossi's recovery is going.

I should have specified that they have others they're either bringing in or won't lose starting spots thus possibly squeezing Giuseppe out.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 03:29:17 AM »

Red Bull Salzburg beat Schalke 04 yesterday 3-1 in a test game.

The best goal was scored by Martin Hinteregger (RBS) - a goal from 60 meters away:

http://www.sky.de/web/cms/de/bundesliga-schalke-verliert-in-salzburg--acht-96tore.jsp
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 03:35:36 AM »

Better video of the 60 meter goal by Hinteregger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsqVFWoCrM0
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 04:21:25 AM »

First irritations at Bayern Munich: Guardiola has stated that while Mario Götze is a great player, he never really was interested in him, and he was contracted on initiative of President Hoeness and sports director Sammer.

Instead, Guardiola has been pressing Bayern leadership to contract Barcelona defensive midfielder Thiago Alcantara, so Xavi Martinez can move back into defence. Not that Bayern Munich has a bad defensive midfield with Bastian Schweinsteiger, Toni Kroos and Luis Gustavo. Anyway, Thiago Alcantara shall now be joining Bayern for 21.7 million Euros.

Interestingly, Guardiola's brother is Alcantara's personal advisor, which in not being taken too well by the German press.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 04:44:54 AM »

Yeah, Mario Götze ...

He recently appeared at a Bayern press conference with a NIKE shirt, despite the fact that the official sponsor of Bayern Munich is ADIDAS ... Tongue

Bayern has fined him with 20.000€ now for wearing the shirt at their press conference.

Might be a reason why Pep and the Bayern leadership is not comfortable anymore with Götze playing for them ...

Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »

Addendum to the Bayern Munich story: Guardiola will face a pretty hard time if he relegates Bastian Schweinsteiger or Holger Badstuber (who has recovered from his injury) to the reserve bench. Both come from Bayern's own youth, are therefore extremely popular with the fans, and should also have strong support within the Club's leadership. This means that the Thiago Alcantara purchase is especially putting pressure on Dante and Luis Gustavo.

Now, I am sure the two will do anything to not miss the 2014 WC in their home country Brazil, which means they need to regularly play Bundeslga and especially Champions League matches. If they see that possibility slipping away, they may - similar to Mario Gomez - try to leave Bayern towards another European club that plays internationally...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies