North Carolina and Republicans' push to the extreme right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:10:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina and Republicans' push to the extreme right
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: North Carolina and Republicans' push to the extreme right  (Read 9419 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »

Lower taxes, smaller government, and more economic freedom =/= "the extreme right".

There's nothing small government about the NC Republicans. They are just social conservatives.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/20/2839185/christensen-column-big-government.html

While Democrats want big government on the economy, Republicans want a bigger government on social issues.
illegaloperation

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2013, 08:54:59 PM »

While Democrats want big government on the economy, Republicans want a bigger government on social issues.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are you sure? Did you check out the whole article?

These Republicans want "big government on the economy" too.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »

I was referring to cheesepizza's quote.
illegaloperation

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »

I was referring to cheesepizza's quote.

So if you are a resident of North Carolina, would you vote for these Republicans?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2013, 09:19:58 PM »

Yes I'd vote for them as long as they were the better alternative to the Democrats.
illegaloperation

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2013, 09:35:16 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 09:44:39 PM by illegaloperation »

Yes I'd vote for them as long as they were the better alternative to the Democrats.

Are you saying that you would vote for Republicans as long as they have (R)s after their name?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »

Are you saying that you would vote for Republicans as long as they have (R)s after their name?

No I said I'd vote for the Republicans if they were better alternatives to the Democrats.
illegaloperation

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »

No I said I'd vote for the Republicans if they were better alternatives to the Democrats.

on social issues or on economic issues?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2013, 11:10:42 PM »

on social issues or on economic issues?

in general
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 11:54:46 PM »

Interesting article on the person pushing the 'Moral Monday' protests:

Read more at http://www.pewstates.org/projects/stateline/headlines/with-hundreds-of-arrests-north-carolina-preacher-ups-the-stakes-in-showdown-with-republicans-85899488941
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2013, 03:53:43 AM »

Lower taxes, smaller government, and more economic freedom =/= "the extreme right".

It's the way it should be. In Maryland are you kind of outnumbered? I have friends in your state through my best friend and they're all die hard Republicans and very socially conservative. It's funny how that works out. Actually, I've found that outside of the Washington D.C. and Baltimore areas, Maryland is fairly moderate.

D.C. Suburbs and Baltimore is the reason Maryland is a blue state, in fact without Montgomery County, Prince George's County, and the city of Baltimore, Obama narrowly carries Maryland by 417 votes.... 48.8% while Romney gets 48.7%.
illegaloperation

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »

NYTimes editorial board wrote an article on North Carolina: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/opinion/the-decline-of-north-carolina.html?_r=0
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »

If the NY Times says something about politics, I can assume the opposite.
illegaloperation

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »

The news is all over News & Observer and Charlotte Observer, the NC's two biggest newspapers.

I am just surprise that the NY Times is running a story on it.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »

The news is all over News & Observer and Charlotte Observer, the NC's two biggest newspapers.

Only votes will tell.
illegaloperation

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2013, 11:24:31 PM »

Only votes will tell.

Ah, yes in 2014 since there's no recall in NC.

I doubt that the Democrats can win back the GA because of the way the districts are drawn, but I am sure they will get far more votes than Republicans.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2013, 01:28:41 AM »

Only votes will tell.

Ah, yes in 2014 since there's no recall in NC.

I doubt that the Democrats can win back the GA because of the way the districts are drawn, but I am sure they will get far more votes than Republicans.

State and federal are different cans of worms though. 2014 maybe a bad year for NC Republicans but 2016 will depend on how much they approve of Obama or want change.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2013, 03:57:12 AM »

I can sure tell you that my father enjoyed enjoyed the "Progressive Paradise" of NC, as he spent half of his first eight years living in the state unemployed, and was finally forced to retire early because he couldn't find work.  Roll Eyes

I enjoyed watching my brother get screwed six ways to Sunday for eight years under NC's "enlightened education policies", when he had been doing well before we moved down here. Roll Eyes

Or those "Forward Thinking" policies that got DOT in the news every year for incompetence, corruption and scandal, for eight years.

It is just like the redistricting plans. Don't like the current one, so the prior one becomes utopia. It makes me sick, those SOBs didn't live in this hellhole. They just the got the façade passed along by their Progressive buddies. I don't like everything the Republicans are doing, but I would gladly vote for them then to vote back in what we had before.

The first part of this doesn't even make sense. And as if $2.5 billion dollars is chump change for a state that can easily be "found". The attitude in the last sentence is emblematic of the screw business in general, jack up the rates, pass out special breaks to favorite companies (that then ditch the state when the incentives run out) and then wonder why there are no damn jobs approach, that governed this state's tax policy before.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »

Now you sound like Sarah Palin. Tongue
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2013, 01:07:28 AM »

I can sure tell you that my father enjoyed enjoyed the "Progressive Paradise" of NC, as he spent half of his first eight years living in the state unemployed, and was finally forced to retire early because he couldn't find work.  Roll Eyes

I enjoyed watching my brother get screwed six ways to Sunday for eight years under NC's "enlightened education policies", when he had been doing well before we moved down here. Roll Eyes

Or those "Forward Thinking" policies that got DOT in the news every year for incompetence, corruption and scandal, for eight years.

It is just like the redistricting plans. Don't like the current one, so the prior one becomes utopia. It makes me sick, those SOBs didn't live in this hellhole. They just the got the façade passed along by their Progressive buddies. I don't like everything the Republicans are doing, but I would gladly vote for them then to vote back in what we had before.

The first part of this doesn't even make sense. And as if $2.5 billion dollars is chump change for a state that can easily be "found". The attitude in the last sentence is emblematic of the screw business in general, jack up the rates, pass out special breaks to favorite companies (that then ditch the state when the incentives run out) and then wonder why there are no damn jobs approach, that governed this state's tax policy before.

I love how Democrats think these government programs help after things like this.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:19 AM »

Now you sound like Sarah Palin. Tongue

Palin couldn't even think of the name of a newspaper
illegaloperation

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:18 PM »

North Carolina GOP has issued the following statement:

Thank you, New York Times. We southern hillbillies are always honored when the Old Gray Lady’s beacons of intelligence bestow their political wisdom from on high.

And why shouldn’t we be eager to heed your advice on critical legislative matters pending in the Tar Heel State?

After all, you’ve stood courageously against some of humanity’s most imminent threats – like soda. Does the thought of hiking taxes on North Carolina’s job creators make your Ivy League hearts flutter as fast as a new tax on Dr. Pepper? It must. Why else would you be so serious about leaving the unemployed stuck in poverty, instead of helping them climb out of it by creating new jobs?

You’re one of the world’s most ardent advocates of diversity and tolerance. Except the ideological kind, of course. Remember 1956? That’s the last time you endorsed a Republican presidential candidate.

That’s right: Carter, Dukakis, Mondale – all met your elite editorial standards. So it’s understandable you felt the need to traipse into this General Assembly’s business, with no mention of the Democrat disaster that preceded it.

If you had ever stepped foot in North Carolina, you’d know the carnage you describe is actually a massive rebuilding and clean-up effort. Your ideological soul mates sunk this state into a financial hole larger than your collective egos.

No wonder the liberals here swoon over your every word. What you oracles of knowledge lack in humility, you certainly make up for in fair-mindedness, and accuracy.

Although, your “demolition derby” of hyperbole did miss the mark on our legislative agenda. The voter ID laws we’re “rushing” through have actually been in the works since January. The convicted death row inmates you defend – those guilty of some of our state’s most egregious, violent crimes – already have an avenue to prove discrimination, one that doesn’t rely on faulty political science research.

What was it, exactly, about North Carolina that you found so “farsighted”? Was it double-digit unemployment? Horrendous dropout rates? Declining wages? The highest taxes in the Southeast?

And spend more money for better education, you say? How’s that working for your public schools, NYC? Still poorly-performing, and poverty stricken?

Oh, and thanks for all the revenue. The “grotesque” policies you decry are bringing North Carolina more residents from New York than any other state in the nation.

Thanks again, New York Times. We aspire one day to live in a state as progressive, clean and friendly as your city. And to live in a world as enlightened as your editorial board.

Source: http://www.ncgop.org/chairman-claude-pope-issues-an-open-letter-to-the-new-york-times-editorial-board/
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2013, 11:45:26 PM »

Well more funding for failing schools clearly isn't the answer. If a business performs poorly, then they'd go out of business and so should bad schools. I'm sure parents don't like to be forced to send their kids to these schools. As for taxes on sodas? What about less spending and the government staying out of our diets? I'm far from the most conservative Republican, but the letter is dead on and exposes the left for what they really are.
illegaloperation

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2013, 12:50:03 AM »

Well more funding for failing schools clearly isn't the answer. If a business performs poorly, then they'd go out of business and so should bad schools. I'm sure parents don't like to be forced to send their kids to these schools. As for taxes on sodas? What about less spending and the government staying out of our diets? I'm far from the most conservative Republican, but the letter is dead on and exposes the left for what they really are.

North Carolina is 48th in paid for teachers. Schools there are falling behind because teachers are moving to South Carolina (and other states).
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2013, 01:00:24 AM »

North Carolina is 48th in paid for teachers. Schools there are falling behind because teachers are moving to South Carolina (and other states).

States and localities should decide on competitive pay for teachers. I understand teachers wanting to go where they're paid more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies