The Simple Truths Silver Mine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:10:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Simple Truths Silver Mine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 50
Author Topic: The Simple Truths Silver Mine  (Read 121545 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: May 03, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »

Al once again says it all:

If there's a mystery related to moderation the answer is generally just plain old incompetence rather than anything sinister.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #576 on: May 03, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »

The Speaker of the House in the American tradition is like a Prime Minister who was dropped on his or her head as a baby.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #577 on: May 03, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »

The Speaker of the House in the American tradition is like a Prime Minister who was dropped on his or her head as a baby.
I wonder what dropping Nancy P on her head would do to all the work she's had done?  I imagine there'd be a crustal displacement and her face might permanently shift a few degrees in the southwestern direction.

That said I am convinced that if you pricked John Boehner with a pin, cigarette smoke and tar flecks would come out in place of blood.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #578 on: May 04, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »

The 905, as always is the only area of the province that matters.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #579 on: May 05, 2014, 08:32:56 AM »

No one is kept out of any University because of what school district they lived in. Colleges don't care what high school you went to as long as you graduated and got good grades.

I can assure you that is not true. Being an honors student at Mediocre Inner City School X is a very different animal from being an honors student at a private or high-end public school. You see that in their test scores.

My mother used to teach in one of the worse school districts in Houston and you had kids who got all or nearly all A's in their classes but their SAT or ACT scores were way below the medians you needed for any of the prominent universities in Texas, and their admissions essays bordered on incoherent and something a sixth grader might have written.

You're proving my point. The reason they didn't get into a good college is because they were dumb (bad SAT scores, no writing skills), not because of what school district they were from.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #580 on: May 05, 2014, 08:37:56 AM »

No one is kept out of any University because of what school district they lived in. Colleges don't care what high school you went to as long as you graduated and got good grades.

I can assure you that is not true. Being an honors student at Mediocre Inner City School X is a very different animal from being an honors student at a private or high-end public school. You see that in their test scores.

My mother used to teach in one of the worse school districts in Houston and you had kids who got all or nearly all A's in their classes but their SAT or ACT scores were way below the medians you needed for any of the prominent universities in Texas, and their admissions essays bordered on incoherent and something a sixth grader might have written.

You're proving my point. The reason they didn't get into a good college is because they were dumb (bad SAT scores, no writing skills), not because of what school district they were from.

You may have been looking for the Deluge.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #581 on: May 05, 2014, 04:04:24 PM »

As usual, our favorite TX WASP makes a good point

I think the idea that someone is a Pub these days because of the Dems past involvement in racism, prior to making a 180 degree course correction on that matter, is close to sui generis these days, to be honest. I mean, it is almost literally bizarre, and I say that as  Pub.
They may have made a course correction, but that doesn't change the fact that they did have a past involvement in racism.
And the fact that you would base your party affiliation on that is bizarre, yes. You're proving Torie's point.
How many times do I have to say that it's NOT the only reason I'm a Republican?

It might not be the only one, but it's clearly a major one for you, which is kind of bizarre. Especially considering the Republicans also had past involvement in racism...
True, but it was nowhere near as much as Democrats.  And the Republican party was established for the express purpose of ending slavery.

The people whose ancestors were actually enslaved have long since stopped considering that to be relevant. I don't know why you should.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #582 on: May 05, 2014, 08:13:21 PM »

The reaction to this thread is predictable, but if Jesus and Buddha are fair game for this kind of stuff, I don't see what makes Muhammad so special.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #583 on: May 05, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »

"That's neoliberal" has replaced "that's gay" as a playground insult.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #584 on: May 06, 2014, 01:12:55 PM »

It's all about balancing what we care about more.  On one hand, we have safety and the lives of innocent people. On the other hand, we have a hobby and dangerous toys. 

Most people think it's extremely important to protect dangerous toys so we're going to have to live with dead kids.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #585 on: May 06, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »

There's absolutely nothing appealing about the places in this country that vote GOP of you're a single twenty-thirty something male.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #586 on: May 06, 2014, 10:01:44 PM »

There's absolutely nothing appealing about the places in this country that vote GOP of you're a single twenty-thirty something male.

He forgot to add '...who conveniently shares my viewpoints and lifestyle'.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #587 on: May 06, 2014, 10:45:06 PM »

Everyone knows frats are full of creepy douchebags with questionable tactics in the female relations department.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #588 on: May 07, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »

WTF Snowstalker? She assaulted a police officer, this was ascertained by a jury of eight women and four men.

The video proves that the cop assaulted her - not the other way around.

Then how is it that all twelve jurors didn't see it the "correct" way?

The jury could have been paid off.

It is so *cute* how you think that anyone would see the Occupy movement to be a sufficient threat to the powers that be that they would waste money buying a jury to wrongfully convict one random person.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #589 on: May 07, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »

It's funny how the anti-racists are in favor of the n-word and treating people different on account of their race.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #590 on: May 07, 2014, 01:31:30 PM »

The solution to the "problem" of "white privilege" is to extend this privilege to all, not to deprive others of it.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #591 on: May 07, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »

Ricks problem is that he will lose six million libertarians and socially moderate Romney voters from 2012 and end up no better off. That is if he is lucky. If he is not, then he will lose ten million of them and end up worse off.

You need someone who can bring out the six million, and also still play for NOVA and Suburban Denver. Too look at it in a single state, appeal to both working class swing voters in northern Ohio and other more upscal swing voters in Cincinnati and Columbus suburbs to win Ohio.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #592 on: May 07, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »

Let's look at this practically. What has historically happened with major crackdowns? The elimination of prostitution? The reasonable control of prostitution? Alas no. The only result is generally grotesque police corruption. Treating prostitution as a criminal problem does not work. Therefore, alternative solutions have to be considered...
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #593 on: May 10, 2014, 09:25:02 AM »

This shift had to happen at some point. Appalachia was ready to turn (Atlas) blue for about two decades due to the cultural shifts we're all familiar with. Obama was just the catalyst (for, again, pretty obvious reasons) but it's ridiculous to blame him and utterly deluded to imagine Hillary will turn back the tide other than at the margins.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #594 on: May 10, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »

Just so we're clear, no matter how hard Whynne tries, the Liberals will not be magically to the left of the NDP.

The Liberals want to be the left-wing and right-wing alternatives to the NDP at the same time.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #595 on: May 10, 2014, 06:20:53 PM »

Neither Rand Paul nor Dennis Kucinich are "Isolationists," they just don't want the US to bomb other nations, their completely fine with trade and the like.

Of course, is it easier to oppose someone on their actual policy positions or to completely misrepresent them and attack strawmen, instead?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #596 on: May 12, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »

It's so refreshing when someone recognizes the point in a deluge of dumb pedantry:

Well the claim made there is rubbish, so I'm going to say New Leftist garbage.

That and the obvious issues that the Germans had already surrendered by the time the A-bomb was ready (the H-bomb did not exist until 1952).

The point of shock statements like these is to point out the underlying racial component of the pacific war. I recommend War Without Mercy: Race and Power in the Pacific War for an academic perspective on the issue.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #597 on: May 12, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »

bronz4141 is like a Midwest nationalist.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #598 on: May 12, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »

Ban oldiesfreak and reinstate Opebo. 'Nuff said.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #599 on: May 13, 2014, 12:23:36 PM »

Never thought I'd put a Sanchez post in here, but this is one massive truth bomb:

Animals exist for a reason. We shouldn't beat and starve them, but I don't see anything unethical about eating meat, hunting, or wearing furs. It's part of the food chain.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies