Opinion of the Libertarian Party (United States)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:26:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Libertarian Party (United States)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: READ THE OP FIRST!
Freedom Party

Horrible Party

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of the Libertarian Party (United States)  (Read 1742 times)
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 09:06:28 PM »
« edited: June 27, 2013, 09:23:05 PM by SLValleyMan »

Neutral overall. IMO, the party has both good and bad.

Good: Most of their official social positions seem to be fairly socially liberal. Pro-choice, pro gay rights, and supportive of open immigration policies. I like that they generally reject the religious right. Plus, I thought Penn and Teller: B**llsh**t! was pretty damn funny.

Bad: A sizable portion of the party appears to be Republican/Tea Party expats who are trying to appear "independent" by giving themselves this label (Wayne Allyn Root is a good example), which has sort of tainted the label. The party also has a large fringe component including rabid anti-tax activists, anti-immigration activists, and global warming deniers, plus a few paleocon fundies who joined mainly for economic reasons.

Overall, while there are a lot of perfectly sane people in the party, there are a lot of crazy people as well.

This is my general position. Gary Johnson was exceptionally good.

He's probably the best presidential candidate they've ever had, considering this is the same party that nominated Ron Paul and Bob Barr for President, and David Koch and the aforementioned Root for Vice President.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 11:36:12 PM »

Good: Most of their official social positions seem to be fairly socially liberal. Pro-choice, pro gay rights, and supportive of open immigration policies. I like that they generally reject the religious right. Plus, I thought Penn and Teller: B**llsh**t! was pretty damn funny.

Bad: A sizable portion of the party appears to be Republican/Tea Party expats who are trying to appear "independent" by giving themselves this label (Wayne Allyn Root is a good example), which has sort of tainted the label. The party also has a large fringe component including rabid anti-tax activists, anti-immigration activists, and global warming deniers, plus a few paleocon fundies who joined mainly for economic reasons.

Overall, while there are a lot of perfectly sane people in the party, there are a lot of crazy people as well.

Because support for economic policies that would literally kill hundreds of thousands of people and lower the living standards of basically everyone except is just fine if the party in question is okay with gay marriage and doesn't want to restrict abortion rights.

Kill hundreds of thousands of people?

No, you must be thinking of tyrannical government, not the Libertarians.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »

Because support for economic policies that would literally kill hundreds of thousands of people and lower the living standards of basically everyone except is just fine if the party in question is okay with gay marriage and doesn't want to restrict abortion rights.

No, I'm thinking of the obvious repercussions of total deregulation of industry, mass privatization of the commons, the end of child labor laws, minimum wage, overtime and other worker protection laws, legal heroin for sale at 7/11s, you know, all the things that the Libertarian Party platform calls for.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »

No, I'm thinking of the obvious repercussions of total deregulation of industry, mass privatization of the commons, the end of child labor laws, minimum wage, overtime and other worker protection laws, legal heroin for sale at 7/11s, you know, all the things that the Libertarian Party platform calls for.

Have you actually read the official party platform?

http://www.lp.org/platform

Read before you get angry
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »

HP mainly because of the smugness of many of its supporters. (Although I also disagree with most of its positions.)
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »

Mixed, but FP. I do think that like the Greens they would be better served trying to run in their respective party and build up some influence in one of the big 2. But I am selfishly glad they gave me another choice to vote for in the last election. Because of that, I can't wish for them to disband altogether.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »

Horrible party and ideology.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: