BREAKING: DOMA UNCONSTITUTIONAL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 05:21:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: DOMA UNCONSTITUTIONAL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: BREAKING: DOMA UNCONSTITUTIONAL  (Read 9323 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »

Love the public policy result, hate the jurisprudence. We are now on the cusp of creating a national gay marriage law by judicial fiat (some Alabama gay couple will be filing a federal lawsuit against Alabama tomorrow as it were demanding state recognition of their marriage citing this case, and most probably win because same sex marriage are now a fundamental right), using the hammer of equal protection, which essentially gives the power to SCOTUS to pass any law at any time if it does not leash itself, because laws by their very essence treat folks differently depending on what category they fit into.

If Kennedy wanted to avoid going where he effectively did as described above, he would have just said that Congress cannot recognize gay marriages legal in a state for some purposes, while denying federal benefits on the other, and essentially demanded that the Feds respect state laws on this when it comes to using the marriage category for handing out benefits, using federalism arguments rather than the equal protection hammer (lousy public policy, but more restrained jurisprudence). Kennedy chose not to do so.

Having said all of that, and essentially wrung my hands, it is indeed hard to image beyond race and gender, just what is out there that is as intimate and fundamental as adult marriage, and the attendant horror show of Balkanized state laws from a practical standpoint, or a law as execrable as DOMA, so in that sense it is not as if SCOTUS's use of the equal protection hammer was done fecklessly, or will be particularly conducive as a precedent for SCOTUS to expand the scope of what its hammer hits and eviscerates in the future.

Translation - You're happy enough with the result.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 10:25:29 AM »

Plaintiffs are now running the media circuit.  A bit sensationalist, but certainly understood and it seems like they did a great job making their case. 

Fox isn't even covering this... if you still weren't convinced that they are NOT, in fact, a news organization. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While yes I'm a lawyer, I am still a member of the human species, so just how could I not feel a nice warm glow of joy suffusing my soul? Who wants to feel like a marginalized second class citizen in this, or any other society?  

So, yes, at least this once, you have come up with an accurate "translation" of my text, Grumps. Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »

I'm pretty disgusted by the "states rights" defense of unequal marriage laws. Gays in Alabama shouldn't have unequal opportunities before the law just because they live in Alabama. I thought we learned this lesson in the aftermath of Brown.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »

I'm pretty disgusted by the "states rights" defense of unequal marriage laws. Gays in Alabama shouldn't have unequal opportunities before the law just because they live in Alabama. I thought we learned this lesson in the aftermath of Brown.

That's the whole insane argument being made by the other side.  Their right to prevent people from being equal is apparently more important than those peoples' right to be equal.  It's a perverse and disgusting argument that the most conservative of America has used time and time again because they simply hate and distrust people who are not like them.  First it was the Catholics, then it was the blacks, then it was the gays... and it'll go on and on and on.  Great thing is that they lose every time.  

I wonder who's next?  
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 10:42:13 AM »

Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2013, 11:01:55 AM by Torie »

Well, the next step is that marrying your favorite manikin that you place in the shot gun seat in your car to try to fool the cops when using the diamond lane, will become a fundamental right.  I guess they disagree with my bit about the expected future reach of the SCOTUS equal protection hammer or something. But at least the direction of the posited slippery slope was more creative than the tired old right to marry your pet dog bit, or flogging the polygamy hobbyhorse. Tongue  
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »

The 10th Amendment is cut and dry, and marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution. Marriage laws are a states right, and the Supreme Court recognized it today. The right decision was made. I suspect Alabama and Utah will have equal marriage by 2025 the way the momentum is turning.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »

The 10th Amendment is cut and dry, and marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution. Marriage laws are a states right, and the Supreme Court recognized it today. The right decision was made. I suspect Alabama and Utah will have equal marriage by 2025 the way the momentum is turning.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »

Public education is also not mentioned in the Constitution. Do you take issue with Brown?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 11:37:18 AM »

I see your 10th amendment and raise you the 14th
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 12:02:16 PM »

I agree with Scalia's Part I (which was one of the best opinions I've ever read), and the Court never should have decided this case.

That being said, I agree with the overall outcome, even if I think that they butchered the Constitutionality of hearing the case.  In the end, the result was a good decision for states' rights.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »

I agree with Scalia's Part I (which was one of the best opinions I've ever read), and the Court never should have decided this case.

That being said, I agree with the overall outcome, even if I think that they butchered the Constitutionality of hearing the case.  In the end, the result was a good decision for states' rights.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »

Brown has nothing to do with federal law.  It has to do with states violating 14th Amendment.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »

Brown has nothing to do with federal law.  It has to do with states violating 14th Amendment.

This has to do with the federal government violating the 14th Amendment.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »

Quibble all you want about the meaning of "federal law." Segregation statutes were indeed state laws, but the 14th Amendment is a critical part of this nation's legal system. And I wonder why it is that you (apparently) value states' rights over human rights.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 12:46:08 PM »

I think not, as that's not really possible here.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »

Quibble all you want about the meaning of "federal law." Segregation statutes were indeed state laws, but the 14th Amendment is a critical part of this nation's legal system. And I wonder why it is that you (apparently) value states' rights over human rights.

Yes; they were state laws that violated the Due Process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.  The Fourteenth Amendment isn't at issue here because this wasn't a state law that was challenged.  I don't understand how you think this case is remotely related to Brown.

As for valuing human rights, I value human rights over states' rights, but I don't think marriage (in its contractual sense) is a human right.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »

Ok, someone needs to clear this up. Technically you're right as the 14th amendment equal protection clause applies only to state laws while equal protection as it applies to federal law is guaranteed via the 5th amendment due process clause. It's treated as the same equal protection guarantee though. That's why Kennedy's decision finds DOMA to be in violation of the 5th amendment rather than the 14th.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »

Ok, someone needs to clear this up. Technically you're right as the 14th amendment equal protection clause applies only to state laws while equal protection as it applies to federal law is guaranteed via the 5th amendment due process clause. It's treated as the same equal protection guarantee though. That's why Kennedy's decision finds DOMA to be in violation of the 5th amendment rather than the 14th.

Right; but that's why it's entirely different from Brown.  Clearly the 14th Amendment trumps states' rights.  That's why I don't disagree with Brown.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 01:10:04 PM »

Great news and a historic ruling! 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

Yes; they were state laws that violated the Due Process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.  The Fourteenth Amendment isn't at issue here because this wasn't a state law that was challenged.  I don't understand how you think this case is remotely related to Brown.

As for valuing human rights, I value human rights over states' rights, but I don't think marriage (in its contractual sense) is a human right.
I'm foolish for getting into a legal debate. I'm not a lawyer and have only very vague understandings of legal matters. It is hard to see how state laws against gay marriage will now not be brought before the court under the 14th though. As for this case's connection to Brown, both are cases of broad groups of people being treated differently and disadvantageously before the law because of innate characteristics that are beyond their control.  It doesn't take years of legal training to make that connection. Maybe it's merely emotional/moral outrage, but rooting for the team against treating all marriages the same leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2013, 01:20:51 PM »

I'm foolish for getting into a legal debate. I'm not a lawyer and have only very vague understandings of legal matters. It is hard to see how state laws against gay marriage will now not be brought before the court under the 14th though. As for this case's connection to Brown, both are cases of broad groups of people being treated differently and disadvantageously before the law because of innate characteristics that are beyond their control.  It doesn't take years of legal training to make that connection. Maybe it's merely emotional/moral outrage, but rooting for the team against treating all marriages the same leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Oh, I agree that the 14th route will be the next step for those states that don't recognize it.  and yes, the cases both involve groups being treated differently, but they're two very different legal principles.  Maybe I misinterpreted what you said before, but when you asked about Brown, it seemed like you were implying that my views here were inconsistent with also believing that Brown was properly decided, and I was trying to point out that one can side with the dissenters here (not that I do) and still agree with the majority in Brown.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »

How did I know this would happen?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »