WHAT'S UP WITH PROSTITUTION????
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:56:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  WHAT'S UP WITH PROSTITUTION????
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: WHAT'S UP WITH PROSTITUTION????  (Read 5829 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »

Here is a short description from a British organisation working with prostitutes, but there is a ton of research out there if you care to enlighten yourself.

Psychological Impact:

Most psychologists believe the long-term psychological harm resulting from prostitution is comparable to that from rape or domestic violence, 76% of those involved in prostitution experience some form of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

The core experiences of violence and psychological trauma associated with prostitution are disempowerment and disconnection with others. Internally these experiences often cause a ‘split’ between the mind, body and spirit.

Individuals involved in prostitution often develop complex coping mechanisms and rituals to minimise their pain and brokenness:
 Dissociative disorders (e.g. disconnection, distancing)
 Anxiety disorders (e.g. fixation, memory loss, panic attacks, flashbacks)
 Substance abuse (leading to long term addiction and mental illness)
 Sleeping disorders – oversleeping, insomnia
 Depression
 Self harm
 Eating Disorders
 Obsessive-compulsive behaviour

So?  All that is true of any toil.  Toils are miserable.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »

Adults should be able to engage in whatever consensual sexual acts with other adults that they want to engage in.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »

Prostitution should be legal with little to no restrictions.  Disease prevention is up to the whore and the client, nor do I care about "confusing" children. 

How about we stop calling people "whores," f****t.

Exercising my n-word privileges.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »

We should do what Nevada does and have licensed brothels.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 12:31:32 AM »

Back it up. I want data showing a 76% post traumatic stress rate for other toils. 
Here is a short description from a British organisation working with prostitutes, but there is a ton of research out there if you care to enlighten yourself.

Psychological Impact:

Most psychologists believe the long-term psychological harm resulting from prostitution is comparable to that from rape or domestic violence, 76% of those involved in prostitution experience some form of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

The core experiences of violence and psychological trauma associated with prostitution are disempowerment and disconnection with others. Internally these experiences often cause a ‘split’ between the mind, body and spirit.

Individuals involved in prostitution often develop complex coping mechanisms and rituals to minimise their pain and brokenness:
 Dissociative disorders (e.g. disconnection, distancing)
 Anxiety disorders (e.g. fixation, memory loss, panic attacks, flashbacks)
 Substance abuse (leading to long term addiction and mental illness)
 Sleeping disorders – oversleeping, insomnia
 Depression
 Self harm
 Eating Disorders
 Obsessive-compulsive behaviour

So?  All that is true of any toil.  Toils are miserable.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 05:48:46 AM »

Back it up. I want data showing a 76% post traumatic stress rate for other toils.

Yeah, that's complete bullsh*t. The intellectual dishonesty from Opebo shouldn't surprise anyone, but it's sad to see someone else take it seriously.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 06:44:58 AM »

I'd be curious to see what relation exists between the negative psychological effects of prostitution and pimping practices. I've spoken to a number of people about opposition to prostitution and their objections usually have more to do with the actions of pimps in regards to the prostitutes than anything inherent to the act in question.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »

Of course sex work should be brought out of the shadows and made legal. Sex work should be as any other profession - taxed and regulated, with those who work in the industry licensed and subject to regulation in the interest of public health.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »

Prostitution should be legal with little to no restrictions.  Disease prevention is up to the whore and the client, nor do I care about "confusing" children. 

How about we stop calling people "whores," f****t.

Exercising my n-word privileges.

Good god this place is sensitive.  Hilarious. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 10:08:38 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2013, 10:23:42 AM by Lіef »

From what I've read, most of the negative mental health effects of prostitution that the people who want the state to control women's (and men's!) bodies point to really only manifest themselves in places where prostitutes have little to no rights, are mostly forced on to the streets, and are essentially owned by pimps. In countries where prostitutes are afforded the same labor rights as other workers, where prostitution takes place in regulated brothels, and pimping is prohibited, you don't see these effects (and there's even plenty evidence of the sex workers enjoying their jobs and feeling a great deal of empowerment).

Of course, even in these more civilized countries, you still have problems of sex trafficking, which is sort of a separate issue from whether or not prostitution should be legal.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 10:11:45 AM »

Might I point out that perhaps there's a certain chicken and egg type thing here too, that women (and men) with mental health issues are more likely to become prostitutes in the first place?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 12:18:43 PM »

In an "ideal society", prostitution would be legal because of the freedom of people to do what they want with their own bodies.

In the real world, of course, prostitution is (usually) much more of a last resort than a genuinely free choice. And it would remain so even regardless of the workers' rights protections or STI tests y'all are suggesting.

The proponents would do well to read this article.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »

Yeah, that's complete bullsh*t. The intellectual dishonesty from Opebo shouldn't surprise anyone, but it's sad to see someone else take it seriously.

The PTSD is caused by prudery, not by prostitution, big boys.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »

From what I've read, most of the negative mental health effects of prostitution that the people who want the state to control women's (and men's!) bodies point to really only manifest themselves in places where prostitutes have little to no rights, are mostly forced on to the streets, and are essentially owned by pimps. In countries where prostitutes are afforded the same labor rights as other workers, where prostitution takes place in regulated brothels, and pimping is prohibited, you don't see these effects (and there's even plenty evidence of the sex workers enjoying their jobs and feeling a great deal of empowerment).

Those who oppose prostitution from the left obviously don't support criminalizing prostitutes. In Sweden and the other most civilized country, legislation cracks down on those who benefit from prostitution (clients and pimps), not on its victims. That's obviously the way it should be.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »

The others are always the problem, of course. It's never you.
perdedor

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2013, 03:17:43 PM »

What would legalizing prostitution do to better communities? Nothing, because prostitution is a useless profession that contributes nothing of commercial or cultural value to society at large.

I will loathe the day that "freedom" comes to be defined as legalizing every disgusting action that was criminalized to promote a level of cultural decency. It's like the "sex in parked cars threads", many people do not care about social consequences so log as they are maximizing autonomy. This is an unhealthy position to govern a people from.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »

Well you can hardly deny that the sex act is not inherently/intrinsically unpleasant, or that the bulk of society levies a terrible disapproval on any women who have a lot of sex.
Link
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »

Prostitution should be legal with little to no restrictions.  Disease prevention is up to the whore and the client, nor do I care about "confusing" children.  

I was wondering how long it would take the thread to go off the rails.

Ever heard of PUBLIC health?

What's wrong with the word "whore"?  Are you assuming I meant it was a woman, Mr. Fascist?

And what does a private prostitution exchange have to do with public health?

If have to ask...

How does objecting to the use of the word "whore" make me a fascist?!
Link
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »

What would legalizing prostitution do to better communities? Nothing, because prostitution is a useless profession that contributes nothing of commercial or cultural value to society at large.

Well for one thing legalizing it would free up precious police resources and help empty out our overburdened legal system.

What do snow cones do for society?  If we started locking people up for eating snow cones would you have a similar attitude?

Seriously we need to wind down the police state.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »

Seriously we need to wind down the police state.

Amen.  Legalizing drugs and prostitution might cut it by more than a third.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »

Prostitution should be legal with little to no restrictions.  Disease prevention is up to the whore and the client, nor do I care about "confusing" children.  

I was wondering how long it would take the thread to go off the rails.

Ever heard of PUBLIC health?

What's wrong with the word "whore"?  Are you assuming I meant it was a woman, Mr. Fascist?

And what does a private prostitution exchange have to do with public health?

If have to ask...

How does objecting to the use of the word "whore" make me a fascist?!

[beingserious]

It doesn't.  I have an inflammatory writing style.  Take almost anything I say a tone it down several degrees.

[/beingserious]

Did you think I meant the whore was automatically a woman?  I use the term in much the same manner your average raunchy comedy would. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »

Well you can hardly deny that the sex act is not inherently/intrinsically unpleasant, or that the bulk of society levies a terrible disapproval on any women who have a lot of sex.

...and of course it never crossed your mind that humans might have a conscience and emotional reactions that go beyond mere senses of physical pleasure.

Wait, what am I doing now? Arguing with Opebo? Seriously? OK, I'll stop there.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

...and of course it never crossed your mind that humans might have a conscience and emotional reactions that go beyond mere senses of physical pleasure.

Cheesy
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »

...and of course it never crossed your mind that not all humans have the same extremely conservative views of sex and sexuality that you do.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2013, 04:27:25 PM »

...and of course it never crossed your mind that not all humans have the same extremely conservative views of sex and sexuality that you do.

Thinking that there is more to human experience than mindless f**king = conservatism? OK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies