Gallup: Obama's Job Approval Easily Outpaces US Satisfaction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: Obama's Job Approval Easily Outpaces US Satisfaction
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup: Obama's Job Approval Easily Outpaces US Satisfaction  (Read 1625 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »

PRINCETON, NJ -- President Barack Obama's job approval rating thus far in 2013 has averaged 24 percentage points higher than Americans' satisfaction with the direction in which the country is going. This gap is typical for the Obama presidency, but represents a much greater presidential job approval premium than most other presidents since Ronald Reagan have enjoyed.

More specifically, so far this year, an average of 50% of Americans have approved of the job Obama is doing as president. At the same time, an average of 26% have been satisfied with the direction of the country. Similarly, since the start of his presidency in 2009, Obama's average job approval rating has been running 26 points higher than Americans' average level of satisfaction with the nation, and has ranged from 22 to 30 points higher each year.

By contrast, the average gap in approval vs. satisfaction for George W. Bush across the eight years of his presidency was 12 points. For Bill Clinton and for Ronald Reagan, it was 10 points. The only other president who consistently logged much higher job approval ratings than the prevailing level of U.S. satisfaction was George H.W. Bush during his one-term presidency from 1989-1993. However, even his average 21-point job approval premium falls short of Obama's.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163139/obama-job-approval-easily-outpaces-satisfaction.aspx

I always found this interesting. Even with a generally dismal outlook on the direction of the country, Obama has had higher approvals than what one would expect. My guess is that Black support for Obama has always remained high through the ups and downs, while other Democrats like Clinton didn't have the same loyalty from African Americans. Gallup also suggests Obama's likeability as a factor but I'm not so sure about that.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:41:05 PM »

Most Americans understand that Republicans destroyed the country and are preventing Obama from fixing it.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »

Most Americans understand that Republicans destroyed the country and are preventing Obama from fixing it.

And very few apparently understand that Obama's done nothing or whatsoever to fix what's actually wrong with it, on top of continuing George Bush's idea of national security.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »

And very few apparently understand that Obama's done nothing or whatsoever to fix what's actually wrong with it, on top of continuing George Bush's idea of national security.

Let me introduce you to the American Jobs Act.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »

sorry we're not all as enlightened to THE TRUTH as you are, bruv

~snowden/kucinich 2016~
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »

Continuing? Hell, Cheney's going to become concerned about civil liberties if the Obama administration keeps pulling crap.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 03:29:33 AM »

I believe his African American support is a large part of his job approval. I genuinely believe that Obama could go on stage in front of an NAACP crowd and begin repeating words verbatim that George W. Bush or Ronald Reagan said, and spew conservatism and the audience would applaud. It doesn't matter what he does, it doesn't matter what he says, I think he's "one of them".
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »

I believe his African American support is a large part of his job approval. I genuinely believe that Obama could go on stage in front of an NAACP crowd and begin repeating words verbatim that George W. Bush or Ronald Reagan said, and spew conservatism and the audience would applaud. It doesn't matter what he does, it doesn't matter what he says, I think he's "one of them".

That would certainly explain Herman Cain's tremendously large approval rating from the NAACP!
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 10:06:36 AM »

yeah      no
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »

Clarence Thomas, Tim Scott, and Alan West don't try that.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »

That's because only Republicans disapprove of Obama while both Republicans and Democrats can agree the US is not moving in the right direction.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »

Goodness, you certainly have a low opinion of the critical thinking abilities of black Americans, don't you.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »

Goodness, you certainly have a low opinion of the critical thinking abilities of black Americans, don't you.

Naso is a racist, so yes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »

this is ironically more true of white liberals than it is of blacks.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 11:21:48 PM »

The Occupy crowd did NOT like Obama... or any government figurehead for that matter.  Are you talking about RICH white liberals? 

And why wouldn't this be true, look at the guy!

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 06:44:58 AM »

I don't think there's any reason to assume that Clinton ever got poor approvals from African Americans, either.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 10:34:34 AM »

The Occupy crowd did NOT like Obama... or any government figurehead for that matter.  Are you talking about RICH white liberals? 

I don't consider the average Occupier to be a liberal.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »

I don't think there's any reason to assume that Clinton ever got poor approvals from African Americans, either.

welfare 'reform'?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 11:50:31 PM »

That part made me chuckle.  Thanks.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 03:34:55 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2013, 03:39:34 AM by Reaganfan »

It's a truism. African Americans will not turn out in the same numbers to support Governor Cuomo or Vice President Biden as they did for Obama. The same is true for young people.

Basically, if Tom Vilsack runs against Mike Pence, do you think African Americans will wait 5 hours in line and cry on election night if Vilsack won? Of course not.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 05:52:31 AM »

welfare 'reform'?

This would have reduced enthusiasm, for sure, but until I see any evidence that Clinton ever suffered from poor or even average approval ratings among African Americans, I am happy to assume that Naso's arguments are just rooted in ignorance.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 06:53:52 AM »

It's a truism. African Americans will not turn out in the same numbers to support Governor Cuomo or Vice President Biden as they did for Obama. The same is true for young people.

Basically, if Tom Vilsack runs against Mike Pence, do you think African Americans will wait 5 hours in line and cry on election night if Vilsack won? Of course not.

Look up the waiting lines in inner city Columbus in 2004 to vote for John Kerry.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies