Should women be eligible for the draft?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:09:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should women be eligible for the draft?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

The draft should be abolished

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Should women be eligible for the draft?  (Read 1402 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 06:25:49 AM »

3 is my vote, but yes, of course.  To not do so would be sexist.

I don't get this line of reasoning. Why does violating a group's civil liberties mean we have to violate another group's civil liberties for fairness' sake? It's like finding out that black people couldn't vote in South Africa, and deciding that white people shouldn't be allowed to vote either because to do otherwise would be racist.
If you'll note, I voted that there shouldn't be a draft....but if we must have one, it should involve men, women, whites, blacks, Muslims, Jews....everybody (except possibly for pacifists and pussies, they should have an optional place to serve).

But again, drafts are wrong.  If you can't get enough dudes to protect your country in an emergency, then you don't deserve to be a country anymore.....but that's very rarely the reason for a draft.  They tend to be more about getting enough bodies to fight in an unpopular foreign conflict or because the local politicians fear a professional army getting too powerful or bored.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »

no but I'd go with option 3
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 04:24:25 AM »

For all these people saying that the "draft should be abolished" all I have to say is...in the United States, the draft IS abolished.

The Selective Service system is in no ways a "draft", but rather only a way to collect information on young men who are of "fighting" age.

So, the real question should be:  In the United States, should women have to register for the Selective Service?

Information for what purpose, exactly?

they send you something in the mail asking you what your address is, basically. 

it's already pointless enough.  no need to expand it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »

It would be difficult for us to abolish the draft, seeing as how it does not exist. I'd be glad to abolish the Selective Service, though.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »

Women should not have to register for the draft. If they want to serve they should be able to but it shouldn't be encouraged. Those who do serve should be held to the same standards as men.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »

Those who do serve should be held to the same standards as men.

I'm glad you think so, considering that in most of the occupations traditionally considered as "manly", women tend to be held to a higher standard than men, since they are presumed incompetent by default.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 09:36:43 PM »

Those who do serve should be held to the same standards as men.

I'm glad you think so, considering that in most of the occupations traditionally considered as "manly", women tend to be held to a higher standard than men, since they are presumed incompetent by default.

I'm pretty traditional but if a female serves our country in the military, then she gets the same amount of respect from me. I think it goes both ways though. When I was in food services, we didn't have women take the trash out to the dumpster after midnight which could be debated as to whether or not women were being held to a lesser standard. Females working in auto garages I'm sure are held to much higher standards and constantly told they're doing things wrong.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »

I change my vote to no, because no woman should be drafted into an institution where she can be raped by a commanding officer and her only recourse is to report the rape up the chain of command.
cheesepizza
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 4.33, S: 0.00

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »

Absolutely..they are just as human, just as valuable in a war
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 12:04:35 AM »

just as human, just as valuable in a war

I find this a very odd phrase - esp. considering what value war so often shows to being human.
cheesepizza
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 4.33, S: 0.00

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 07:52:55 AM »

just as human, just as valuable in a war

I find this a very odd phrase - esp. considering what value war so often shows to being human.
  I am just saying that responsibility should be shared and they have important capabilities.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »

I change my vote to no, because no woman should be drafted into an institution where she can be raped by a commanding officer and her only recourse is to report the rape up the chain of command.

The solution is to change the law and crack down on the rapists and (even more importantly) on the officers who protect them. But if the army remains an overwhelmingly male institution, there's no wonder a particularly vicious rape culture develops.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies