Should women be eligible for the draft?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:16:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should women be eligible for the draft?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

The draft should be abolished

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Should women be eligible for the draft?  (Read 1403 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2013, 10:50:03 PM »

Option 3 (normal)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »

Yes, although the draft should only be used if the country is actually being invaded.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:57:53 PM »

If we have draft in a case of total war then yes.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:29:31 PM »

Option 3 of course.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »

If there is a draft, yes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »

3 is my vote, but yes, of course.  To not do so would be sexist.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 04:13:06 AM »

Yes, but only the WNBA draft.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 04:17:11 AM »

Yes.

But "option 3" should not be an option here, because it distorts the poll results.

The question should be "should women be eligible for the draft in a system where the draft is the law ?"
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 04:48:22 AM »

^^^^

But if there is to be a draft, then option 1 (normal).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:56:56 AM »

I don't get this line of reasoning. Why does violating a group's civil liberties mean we have to violate another group's civil liberties for fairness' sake? It's like finding out that black people couldn't vote in South Africa, and deciding that white people shouldn't be allowed to vote either because to do otherwise would be racist.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 08:11:04 AM »

I don't get this line of reasoning. Why does violating a group's civil liberties mean we have to violate another group's civil liberties for fairness' sake? It's like finding out that black people couldn't vote in South Africa, and deciding that white people shouldn't be allowed to vote either because to do otherwise would be racist.

It makes perfect sense for someone who values equality as a positive good in and of itself, and not only as a mere corollary of liberty.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:39 AM »

Your initial premise is that a military draft is not justified.  The implicit premise of that argument is that a military draft is justified.

But, in any case, the question would be whether you valued fairness/being non-sexist or maximizing individual freedom.  Sometimes people are willing to trade-off the policy outcome they would like for one group, in favor of being fair to everyone.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 08:31:56 AM »

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »

...but ideally there shouldn't be a draft, because we should in all actually be trying to spare more people from having to do anything in the military that involves direct combat. With all that funding the DoD gets, it should seriously be looking to automate as many functions of warfighting as it can and turning the military into a professional MMORPG corps.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »

...but ideally there shouldn't be a draft, because we should in all actually be trying to spare more people from having to do anything in the military that involves direct combat. With all that funding the DoD gets, it should seriously be looking to automate as many functions of warfighting as it can and turning the military into a professional MMORPG corps.

But then people start crying about how horrible and evil and 1984 unmanned drones are.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »

But then people start crying about how horrible and evil and 1984 unmanned drones are.

Just liberals and libertarians, who will be completely ignored by the people who make defense policy anyway.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »

No, because there should be no draft or conscription or whatever other term you want to use to mask what it really is, slavery.
perdedor

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 07:41:47 PM »

The draft should be abolished and never reestablished for any reason. 
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 04:10:29 AM »

Option 3
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 06:54:11 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2013, 10:40:25 AM by politicus »

3 is my vote, but yes, of course.  To not do so would be sexist.

Since you are a self proclaimed reactionarian and national conservative I am surprised that you are anti-draft and even using the liberal/libertarian civil rights argument in this context. What about classical conservative virtues like duty to the nation, patriotism etc.?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 08:50:04 PM »

For all these people saying that the "draft should be abolished" all I have to say is...in the United States, the draft IS abolished.

The Selective Service system is in no ways a "draft", but rather only a way to collect information on young men who are of "fighting" age.

So, the real question should be:  In the United States, should women have to register for the Selective Service?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 03:21:06 AM »

For all these people saying that the "draft should be abolished" all I have to say is...in the United States, the draft IS abolished.

The Selective Service system is in no ways a "draft", but rather only a way to collect information on young men who are of "fighting" age.

So, the real question should be:  In the United States, should women have to register for the Selective Service?

Its a poll about the principle, not the present US situation. If you want it to be related to the US it could be: If the draft was to be reinstated should it include women?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 09:50:29 AM »

Its a poll about the principle, not the present US situation. If you want it to be related to the US it could be: If the draft was to be reinstated should it include women?

Hmm...I like to think in more pragmatic rather than philosophical terms.
perdedor

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:44 PM »

Information for what purpose, exactly?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 02:56:49 AM »

As for me, I think the SSS should be abolished. However, if it is to be maintained, women should absolutely have to register. I'm fairly sure men who do not register with the SSS are ineligible for federal student aid. So, there are actual consequences to that sexist policy.

To the answer the topic more clearly, I think women should be eligible for the draft were it to be reinstated. I do not believe that the draft should be reinstated though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies