Largest Cities to Go Republican in Each State (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:06:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Largest Cities to Go Republican in Each State (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Largest Cities to Go Republican in Each State  (Read 7226 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: June 26, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
« edited: June 26, 2013, 02:26:11 PM by traininthedistance »

As for the remaining states:

OR: Medford voted for McCain, and Jackson County swung toward Romney, so it almost definitely voted for Romney. As for larger cities, there are only 7: Portland, Salem, Eugene, Gresham, Hillsboro, Beaverton, and Bend. Portland, Eugene, Hillsboro, and Beaverton are all solidly Democratic. Gresham almost definitely voted for Obama in 2012 since it voted 58% for Obama in 2008 and Multnomah County had only a very small swing toward Romney. Salem voted 56% for Obama in 2008, and is getting more Hispanic - hardly a recipe for larger Republican vote shares. Bend also voted 56% for Obama, and Deschutes County swung only about 2% toward Romney, so it probably voted for Obama in 2012 as well. That leaves Medford as the very likely answer.

I have confirmed that Obama won Bend by looking at the Deschutes County precinct results.

I have also confirmed that Romney won Medford by looking at Jackson County results.

BTW I find it astounding that Obama won Jackson County in 2008 yet still lost Medford. Instances where a democrat wins a county but loses the largest city are extremely rare.

This happened in Sandoval, NM in 2012.  All the Republicans there are in the large suburb of Rio Rancho, whereas the rest of the county (which Obama narrowly won) is heavily Hispanic and Native.  Pretty sure Obama won Rio Rancho in 2008, but it usually tilts R and it looks like it narrowly flipped in 2012.

Similarly, there are probably a couple rural Black Belt counties where the white population is concentrated in larger towns, or other tilt-D suburban counties where the conservative areas just happen to be less subdivided than the liberal ones.  I was wondering if Burlington County, NJ would be one- since its largest town, Evesham, is several points to the right of the county as a whole, but it appears Obama narrowly won Evesham in 2012, so no.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies