Largest Cities to Go Republican in Each State (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:32:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Largest Cities to Go Republican in Each State (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Largest Cities to Go Republican in Each State  (Read 7222 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: June 15, 2013, 03:36:52 AM »

Ni'ihau is Native Hawai'ian, not Asian. And after always voting overwhelmingly Republican it went over to Obama in 2012. Romney won a precinct or two somewhere on O'ahu, but not places (there aren't, technically, any cities in the state.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:44:03 AM »

California: No precinct data here. Possibly Bakersfield, but I'm not confident. If not then I would believe it's Irvine.
Something better than precinct data: http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/2012-general/ssov/pres-by-political-districts.pdf. Irvine leans Democratic (they got a big campus there amid the suburban subdivisions...), but Bakersfield is still in the Republican camp. The second largest is Huntington Beach.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Beats me. Best I could find is these reports.
Billerica. Not by many votes, and there are some larger similarly marginal towns that fall on the other side of the line. I think the list I used wasn't the final results though, so maybe it flipped with absentees.
Plymouth and Saint Cloud both voted for Obama... I didn't check all through Maple Grove, but unless there's a heavily Dem part in the higher-numbered precincts (or a heavily Republican part to Eagan) it's the answer.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:12:44 AM »

Ah, the memories. Ten years ago Yahoo was actually relevant. Cheesy

Connecticut - Greenwich is correct.
For my amusement: Romney shares in the ten largest municipalites of Connecticut:
Bridgeport 13.8%
New Haven 9.9%
Hartford 6.3%
Stamford 36.8%
Waterbury 34.3%
Norwalk 36.0%
Danbury 40.5%
New Britain 22.7%
Greenwich 55.2%
Bristol 41.0%

Kentucky - precinct lines don't match up with city lines perfectly, and absentee votes are only tallied countywide, so there will be no definite exact city results, ever. Tracing the city outline of Bowling Green as closely as I could - exactly in many parts, not so in others. And I may have made mistakes - I came out with an Obama win by 477 votes (since every precinct in the county to vote for Obama is within the city lines, actually I summed the Romney victory margins of precincts outside the city and checked whether they came to more or less than his county total. This figure still includes the absentee votes for the entire county, which Romney won by 888 or a margin of about 2 to 1; subtract them as well and Obama is quite well ahead.) I then started doing the same thing for Owensboro until noticing that the precincts I determined to be in the city were identical to the precincts whose number begins in A. Here too Obama won only precincts in the city, but he did come close in some of the rural precincts (in the northeast of the county) with Romney doing correspondingly better in the city, and certainly winning it.
So, yeah. Owensboro is correct.

North Dakota - same problem of precinct lines, though absentees appear to be added in with precincts. The territory inclosed by and including 45-01, 16-01, 16-02, 16-03 and 27-03 was won by Obama by 362 votes. Exclude the three 16er precincts and it shrinks to just 64 votes, though exclude also the two large northern and southern edge precincts and it grows all the way to 991. So yeah, close as it may have been Obama won Fargo. Romney won every single precinct in Burleigh County (one of them with under 50% of the vote though) and thus Bismarck is the answer.

The others are harder to confirm. Undecided
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »

Since you seem pretty dedicated, I'll change it to Florence. Thank you for telling me.

Don't take my word for it, but I just can't see how Romney won Owensboro.
Believe me, I did the actual precinct math. It was very close - though not quite as ultra-close as Obama's win in the only minimally larger Bowling Green - but Romney won Owensboro. Obama won the older, northern half of it, of course, and easily.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »

Since you seem pretty dedicated, I'll change it to Florence. Thank you for telling me.

Don't take my word for it, but I just can't see how Romney won Owensboro.
Believe me, I did the actual precinct math. It was very close - though not quite as ultra-close as Obama's win in the only minimally larger Bowling Green - but Romney won Owensboro. Obama won the older, northern half of it, of course, and easily.

Precinct boundaries in Kentucky don't always follow city boundaries
Yes. Having done the math and looked at the map, I am well aware. -_-
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 05:06:31 AM »

Laie is split between that precinct and the next one over, though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies