Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:14:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"  (Read 168126 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: July 12, 2013, 12:39:06 AM »

Duke, thank you for being honest and candid.  I know it does come across sometimes that I am proud and arrogant, and, yes, I do struggle with that, I've struggled with that for years long before I joined the forum.  I am getting better, or at least, I think I am.  What I do know is God is working on me with regards to my pride.

Bushie. I think one thing that could help you a lot with your pride is to lock this thread and never open another update. Posting the mundane details of your life on the internet for others to read is a bit like high-fiving yourself in the mirror repeatedly. Such a practice will only lead you to a sense of self-importance and narcissism. It will only make you think about yourself, which can be a good thing if it's done in a sincere examination-of-conscience sort of way, but that's not what this thread is. Also, I'd suggest The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis (you can find it free on the internet) as a good book to read to direct one's actions away from self-gratification and toward gratification of God.

I'm going to be real candid and real honest here for a bit:

You bring up a good point and I realize the entire premise of the Update thread itself is a source of arrogance.  I admit that.  I would lock it, because I think it would be healthier for everyone involved and I am trying to wean myself from it (if you believe that, I can sell you the Brooklyn Bridge), but I haven't locked because I don't have the discipline to never raise the Update again.  If I locked it, what, short of a moderator order, is to stop me from opening Season 9.

Jeff, if you post in here that you want the Update locked, because I still care about you and want to see you better your life, I'll help you out and be the discipline that you don't have.  But don't ask for the favor lightly; if you ask for it, I'll honor your request, but there's no revoking that (otherwise there'd be little point to me making this offer).

I don't want it locked.  I want the freedom to be able to Update it when I want.  I want it to become dormant after a while, but still open in case anybody wants to make a comment.

Then the chances of it becoming dormant are about the same as they are for you adopting those two orphans.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1601 on: July 12, 2013, 08:44:50 AM »

Duke, thank you for being honest and candid.  I know it does come across sometimes that I am proud and arrogant, and, yes, I do struggle with that, I've struggled with that for years long before I joined the forum.  I am getting better, or at least, I think I am.  What I do know is God is working on me with regards to my pride.

Bushie. I think one thing that could help you a lot with your pride is to lock this thread and never open another update. Posting the mundane details of your life on the internet for others to read is a bit like high-fiving yourself in the mirror repeatedly. Such a practice will only lead you to a sense of self-importance and narcissism. It will only make you think about yourself, which can be a good thing if it's done in a sincere examination-of-conscience sort of way, but that's not what this thread is. Also, I'd suggest The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis (you can find it free on the internet) as a good book to read to direct one's actions away from self-gratification and toward gratification of God.

You bring up a good point and I realize the entire premise of the Update thread itself is a source of arrogance.  I admit that.  I would lock it, because I think it would be healthier for everyone involved and I am trying to wean myself from it (if you believe that, I can sell you the Brooklyn Bridge), but I haven't locked because I don't have the discipline to never raise the Update again.  If I locked it, what, short of a moderator order, is to stop me from opening Season 9.

Jeff, if you post in here that you want the Update locked, because I still care about you and want to see you better your life, I'll help you out and be the discipline that you don't have.  But don't ask for the favor lightly; if you ask for it, I'll honor your request, but there's no revoking that (otherwise there'd be little point to me making this offer).

I don't want it locked.  I want the freedom to be able to Update it when I want.  I want it to become dormant after a while, but still open in case anybody wants to make a comment.

Then the chances of it becoming dormant are about the same as they are for you adopting those two orphans.

I realize that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1602 on: July 12, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »

Hey, folks, I have an urgent prayer request.  I just got an email that says a lot of the Maisha kids have come down with malaria and typhoid and one of the workers has also come down with malaria and is headed to the hospital.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1603 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »

getting an interview with a retail pretty much means you have the job...unless you really screw up the interview.  the best way to screw up the interview is say your availability is limited.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1604 on: July 12, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »

i wonder if bushie will actually say these exact words to the interviewer:

'i cant come to work sunday until after 1400 hours.'
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1605 on: July 12, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »

i wonder if bushie will actually say these exact words to the interviewer:

'i cant come to work sunday until after 1400 hours.'

Of course not, silly.

Besides, I only write with military time.  When I am speaking, I use civilian time.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1606 on: July 12, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »

I realize that.

So you know that it's unhealthy, yet you do it anyway.  Is that a life motto or something?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1607 on: July 12, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »

I realize that.

So you know that it's unhealthy, yet you do it anyway.  Is that a life motto or something?

It's an addiction that I'm not willing or ready to put to pasture, yet.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1608 on: July 12, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »

I realize that.

It's an addiction that I'm not willing or ready to put to pasture, yet.

Why?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1609 on: July 12, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »

Inks stop trying to ruin Update for all of us. He wants to keep it going; let him keep it going. Thanks.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1610 on: July 12, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »

Inks stop trying to ruin Update for all of us. He wants to keep it going; let him keep it going. Thanks.

If he wants to keep it going, I'll ing let him keep it going.  I'm genuinely curious why he's engaging in an activity he admits is unhealthy.  Why the hell do you care anyway?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1611 on: July 12, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »

Because I'm an Update Superfan, duh.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1612 on: July 12, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »

So you'd rather continue the Truman Show-esque thread instead of see Bushie at least approach normality?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1613 on: July 12, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »

Nobody's saying Bushie can't improve himself. We Update fans would just like to see him tell us about it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1614 on: July 12, 2013, 06:50:27 PM »

So you'd rather continue the Truman Show-esque thread instead of see Bushie at least approach normality?

False dilemma. Both are possible.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1615 on: July 12, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »

False dilemma. Both are possible.

How?  Bushie himself said that continuing Update is unhealthy.  You know Jeff.  Weaning down on Update won't happen.  So how does Jeff continue a healthy update, factoring in his mental conditions?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1616 on: July 12, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »

Again, I disagree with your premise. The Update is not standing in the way of Bushie becoming healthier or better off. In fact, I'd argue that he'd be in no better a situation, and potentially a much worse one, if the Update had never existed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1617 on: July 12, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »

Again, I disagree with your premise. The Update is not standing in the way of Bushie becoming healthier or better off. In fact, I'd argue that he'd be in no better a situation, and potentially a much worse one, if the Update had never existed.

So then you disagree with Bushie's premise, not mine.  I'm merely quoting Bushie.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1618 on: July 12, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »

Hey bushie

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-Self-Control
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1619 on: July 12, 2013, 08:00:31 PM »

I don't see how a thread with advice that Bushie ignores never existing would have any impact on Bushie's life.  The butterfly effect does not apply here.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1620 on: July 12, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »

I am through giving advice to Bushie, but I agree with Lief that he would be no better off with or without it. He has mostly ignored our advice, but on some occasions, I think he follows it unless he is lying (see JJ coming inside).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1621 on: July 12, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »

Good Friday Evening.  It's been a pretty good day not doing much.  I am tired tonight, though, and may turn in early tonight.  Tomorrow, I have to get the oil changed in my car and then go out to eat with Mom and Dad in the late afternoon.  Other than that, I don't have much going on.  I'll probably turn in early tomorrow night, as well, possibly 2230 since I need to be up by 0645 Sunday for Sunday School and Morning Worship and I want to be fully rested for Sunday morning.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1622 on: July 12, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »

Don't forgot to scrape the sebum from between your thighs.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1623 on: July 12, 2013, 09:48:28 PM »

I don't see how a thread with advice that Bushie ignores never existing would have any impact on Bushie's life.  The butterfly effect does not apply here.

He would have actually gone through with the NZ company scam, at least. He might be in jail right now.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1624 on: July 12, 2013, 10:36:27 PM »

I am through giving advice to Bushie, but I agree with Lief that he would be no better off with or without it. He has mostly ignored our advice, but on some occasions, I think he follows it unless he is lying (see JJ coming inside).

But I think the Update furthers his compulsive lying.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies