Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:18:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"  (Read 166471 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: June 13, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »

Migraines can be caused by a variety of factors. I think there is still a debate as to whether it is generic or not. I am sure lifestyle, health risks, diet also have a lot to do with it. Those I know that get them usually have some trigger, some type of food, etc, that causes flareups worse than others.

But yeah, if you get headaches that are only solved by caffeine, that's withdrawal, my friend, not this idea that caffeine is sedative for you. It's a stimulant - chemically, it doesn't just become a sedative for certain people, like saying cocaine becomes a sedative for certain people.

It definitely doesn't cause my headaches.  My big triggers are chocolate, really sweet taste in my mouth (I usually get small french fries with my ice cream so I can counter the sweet taste), pressure on the head, and high barometric pressure.  There are more, but those are the biggest triggers.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #451 on: June 13, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »

Migraines can be caused by a variety of factors. I think there is still a debate as to whether it is generic or not. I am sure lifestyle, health risks, diet also have a lot to do with it. Those I know that get them usually have some trigger, some type of food, etc, that causes flareups worse than others.

But yeah, if you get headaches that are only solved by caffeine, that's withdrawal, my friend, not this idea that caffeine is sedative for you. It's a stimulant - chemically, it doesn't just become a sedative for certain people, like saying cocaine becomes a sedative for certain people.

It definitely doesn't cause my headaches.  My big triggers are chocolate, really sweet taste in my mouth (I usually get small french fries with my ice cream so I can counter the sweet taste), pressure on the head, and high barometric pressure.  There are more, but those are the biggest triggers.

Yeah, chocolate does it to the people I know who get migraines too. And red wine.

We already know your family has serious health problems and does little to actually fix them, so it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that is a pattern and thus why many of you get these horrible headaches.

And while fries and ice cream are really good, Jesus man, that's awful for you, and I am sure you eat that far too often.

And we don't know what causes your headaches, sure, but if caffeine alleviates them as you claim, sometimes they may be the culprite. That is classic withdrawal you are describing whether you believe me or not Wink
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #452 on: June 13, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »

Yeah, chocolate does it to the people I know who get migraines too. And red wine.

We already know your family has serious health problems and does little to actually fix them, so it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that is a pattern and thus why many of you get these horrible headaches.

And while fries and ice cream are really good, Jesus man, that's awful for you, and I am sure you eat that far too often.

And we don't know what causes your headaches, sure, but if caffeine alleviates them as you claim, sometimes they may be the culprite. That is classic withdrawal you are describing whether you believe me or not Wink

Really, the diet related health problems are only mine and to some extent Mom.  Mom's main things are migraines and poorly functioning kidneys.  Dad's main problem is a bad back (he's had two major back surgeries in the last 20 years).  My grandmother's main problem is old age.  My main problems are high cholesterol, arthritis, migraines, and high blood pressure.  However, even my high cholesterol is on the lower end of the high cholesterol.  The worst thing for me is high blood pressure, especially when I forget my medicine like this morning.  When I forget it, it causes a headache that no pill, Excedrin or my migraine pill, can fix.  That is very likely the trigger of today's severe headache as I didn't realize I forgot my medicine until 16:00.  I took my morning pill at 16:00, but it was too little too late, the damage had already been done.

I don't have the fries and ice cream combo very often at all.  I don't have chocolate very often because of my headaches.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #453 on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:39 PM »

I think I am going to turn in a little earlier in the morning than I did this morning.  This morning, I went to bed at 02:00 and fell asleep at 03:00.  Friday morning, I hope to be in bed by 00:30 and fall asleep shortly after that.  I am pretty tired tonight after not sleeping a whole lot this morning, so hopefully that will help.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #454 on: June 13, 2013, 11:28:03 PM »

I also get migraines, as my late father and my grandmother and aunt on my mother's side get them. My triggers are over-tiredness and stress... and they are actually one of the most common set of trigger factors.

Other ones that people don't recognise is salt and sulfuric bulbs like onion and garlic...

And you most certainly CAN give yourself migraines, heredity only means you're prone to get them, you help push things over the edge... and it's pretty clear, if you do 'know' your body, you clearly don't like it very much.  
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #455 on: June 14, 2013, 12:33:51 AM »

Bushie, who's idea was it to name the dog J.J.?  Was it yours?  Is the name based on our very own J.J., here on Atlas?  What does J.J. stand for anyway?  I mean, is it really a "male" name if it's just two random letters?  (Shades of The Simpsons: J.J. stands for Jay Jay.)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #456 on: June 14, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »

Bushie, who's idea was it to name the dog J.J.?  Was it yours?  Is the name based on our very own J.J., here on Atlas?  What does J.J. stand for anyway?  I mean, is it really a "male" name if it's just two random letters?  (Shades of The Simpsons: J.J. stands for Jay Jay.)

The dog spoke and predicted Bushie will lose 80 pounds in the next 12 months.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #457 on: June 14, 2013, 05:31:39 AM »

I wake up to learn Bushie is keeping some little kid's dog and will not make an effort to find the owner.  Poor kid.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #458 on: June 14, 2013, 05:41:51 AM »

I also get migraines... My triggers are over-tiredness and stress... and they are actually one of the most common set of trigger factors.

Precisely.  Migraines are caused by modern capitalist exploitation.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #459 on: June 14, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »

It was Dad's idea to name him J.J.  I still prefer Blondie, personally, because as you can see by the link I posted earlier from my facebook, he is a blonde color dog.  I don't know what J.J. is short for, if anything.  No, it's no reference to our very own J.J.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #460 on: June 14, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »

It was Dad's idea to name him J.J.  I still prefer Blondie, personally, because as you can see by the link I posted earlier from my facebook, he is a blonde color dog.

I can't see anything at that link, genius.  If you want me to see it, change the privacy settings.  Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm going to assume that it stands for Jay Jay.

Also, go ahead and call it Blondie if you want to.  Don't let your Dad push you around like that.  You're that dog's favorite human, so you should get to name it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #461 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »

Texas Rangers fan, eh? What is your opinion of THE ball clubs? The Boys from the Bay, and The Bronx Bombers.

Overrated.  Especially, the Skankees.  The Giants are good, but they're still evil.  They are the West Coast Yankees for me.

love it
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »

It was Dad's idea to name him J.J.  I still prefer Blondie, personally, because as you can see by the link I posted earlier from my facebook, he is a blonde color dog.

I can't see anything at that link, genius.  If you want me to see it, change the privacy settings.  Tongue

Whoops, sorry. Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm going to assume that it stands for Jay Jay.

Also, go ahead and call it Blondie if you want to.  Don't let your Dad push you around like that.  You're that dog's favorite human, so you should get to name it.

[/quote]

I don't want to call him a different name than what Mom and Dad do so as not to confuse the pup, so I'll stick with J.J.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #463 on: June 14, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »

I wake up to learn Bushie is keeping some little kid's dog and will not make an effort to find the owner.  Poor kid.

I understand developing a bond with a dog you find on your porch but yea, you gotta make sure you aren't stealing little Sammy's lost pup.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #464 on: June 14, 2013, 10:23:52 AM »

Changing the subject a bit, I weighed this morning and I am back down to 8 pounds lost.  If you remember, it was 11.2 lbs lost about a week ago, then jumped back to 6 pounds, then was 7.5 yesterday and now it is 8 today.  Weight this morning was 267.0.  We did have breakfast as a family at a diner this morning, but I didn't have that much to eat.  I ended the breakfast with well south of 800 calories.  That's still more than what I normally have for my first meal, and we'll likely go out for dinner again tonight, but I may just attempt a salad.  We'll probably go to Cracker Barrel, so I may get the Grilled Chicken Salad that someone pointed out toward the end of Season VII.  I'm not going to go overboard at all tonight.  I did have 2 cups of water this morning at breakfast and I will likely order a water with my drink tonight, as well, so I can try to get in 4 glasses of water today.  That's my goal for today is try to get in 4 glasses of water.  Even with a salad, I'm liable to end up with 2,000 calories today.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #465 on: June 14, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »

Bushie, why must we change the subject?  Why won't you make a legitimate and honest effort to find the real owner?

I find it repulsive that you won't make a good faith efffort.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »

Bushie, why must we change the subject?  Why won't you make a legitimate and honest effort to find the real owner?

I find it repulsive that you won't make a good faith efffort.

I asked Mom and Dad over breakfast if we were going to attempt to find the owner, and Dad reiterated what Mom, Grandma, and I all think that it was abandoned shortly after he left for work Tuesday morning, so our intention is to keep him and provide him a good, loving home.  We'll take him to the vet pretty soon to get him "enrolled" and checked out.  Then, we'll probably get him a dog house once we ask the vet how big Lab Retrievers get.  We think he'll grow pretty large, but we want to determine his expected adult size before we get him a dog house.  We want what's best for the dog and who is to say that if we were to find his owner that they wouldn't take care of him as good as we will?  If he was malnourished when I found him on the front porch that morning, then he was likely abandoned.  That's not always the case, I'll admit, but it is a logical solution.  He already looks better in the 3 1/2 days he's been with us and already seems to have grown just a tad.  The dog is getting used to us, too, and likes us (especially yours truly), so we don't want to upset the dog by forcing it to learn a whole new system for probably the third time.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #467 on: June 14, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »

So all of this is based off a hunch and what your family "thinks"? Come on man, at least put some effort into it.

If the dog was abandoned then yes, you're doing a great thing but what if you're wrong? What if you're depriving a family of their pet?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #468 on: June 14, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »

So all of this is based off a hunch and what your family "thinks"? Come on man, at least put some effort into it.

If the dog was abandoned then yes, you're doing a great thing but what if you're wrong? What if you're depriving a family of their pet?

We have looked online and on the posted flyers at the local grocery store and nothing has turned up.  We just called the local shelter in Oklahoma City less than 30 minutes ago and they have received no reports of a missing 6 week old Labrador Retriever with blonde fur.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #469 on: June 14, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »

You can't take care of yourself let alone a dog and I doubt your family can afford one. Plus if you're leaving it outside shame on you for trying to keep a dog with no room in your trailer and for leaving it outside when it's malnourished and weak already. And if you mention the damn cat it means you shouldn't have the dog.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #470 on: June 14, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »

We have looked online and on the posted flyers at the local grocery store and nothing has turned up.  We just called the local shelter in Oklahoma City less than 30 minutes ago and they have received no reports of a missing 6 week old Labrador Retriever with blonde fur.

Fair enough.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #471 on: June 14, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »

Fair enough.

Agreed.  Glad you took the step to call the shelter.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #472 on: June 14, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »

Fair enough.

Agreed.  Glad you took the step to call the shelter.

We might call one more time about a week from now, but we're about to plan a trip to the vet.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #473 on: June 14, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »

i think it is common in the hinterlands for people to let their dogs run wild.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #474 on: June 14, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »

Bushie what are you going to do when it's a 100 degrees and blazing hot?  Leave the dog outside?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies