Connecticut was more Republican than New Jersey for the first time since 1976 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:15:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Connecticut was more Republican than New Jersey for the first time since 1976 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Connecticut was more Republican than New Jersey for the first time since 1976  (Read 4358 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: June 01, 2013, 08:49:44 AM »

I don't live in either state, but...

-Hurricane Sandy hit the more Republican areas of NJ.
-Linda McMahon spent a ton of money and perhaps her GOTV helped Romney.
-Obama was weak among Wall Street types in the Gold Coast area.
-Obama was weak among the white, lower middle-class New England types because of racism.
-Romney is from New England and was a finance guy so he was stronger with both groups.
-NJ has slightly more black folks and their turnout dropped less from 2008 than other groups.
-NJ has more Asians who swung towards Obama in 2012.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »

I don't live in either state, but...

-Hurricane Sandy hit the more Republican areas of NJ.
-Linda McMahon spent a ton of money and perhaps her GOTV helped Romney.
-Obama was weak among Wall Street types in the Gold Coast area.
-Obama was weak among the white, lower middle-class New England types because of racism.
-Romney is from New England and was a finance guy so he was stronger with both groups.
-NJ has slightly more black folks and their turnout dropped less from 2008 than other groups.
-NJ has more Asians who swung towards Obama in 2012.

The two in bold I'd dispute. McMahon actually made some effort to distance herself from the national GOP (there were ads of people saying they were voting for Obama and McMahon), and there are way more blue-collar whites in New Jersey than in Connecticut. In fact, it seems that working-class white ethnic (Italian, Polish, etc) communities in New Jersey had some swing to Obama thanks to Sandy.

But the primary reasons, as stated, are that New Jersey is a more ethnically diverse state and it was hit hard by Sandy.

McMahon may have made ads that said that but, she did spend $12 million dollars.  No other Republican campaign in NJ or CT spent serious money on statewide organizing and GOTV.  That could have had some effect in boosting Romney.

Also, I think lower class whites in New England are especially racist.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies