MA: Mideast Electoral Reform Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:28:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Mideast Electoral Reform Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: MA: Mideast Electoral Reform Act (Statute)  (Read 2942 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2013, 04:29:21 PM »
« edited: June 15, 2013, 10:30:10 PM by Inks.LWC Supports Chuck Hagel »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: a Person
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »

I'm fine with this, although I don't like I.8.e., and II.2. doesn't make sense, as a citizen cannot prosecute someone; that'd be something the Governor has to do.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 01:08:28 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2013, 01:16:12 AM by a Mideast Assemblyperson »

I'm fine with this, although I don't like I.8.e.,
It was intended as a compromise towards party strategists. Grin
I agree it's not absolutely necessary to put exit-poll links in the booth though, I'm fine with removing it if that's what the rest of you want.
and II.2. doesn't make sense, as a citizen cannot prosecute someone; that'd be something the Governor has to do.
Well, it was meant to be a replacement of this:
I'm not sure exactly what your suggestion would be, but I'm open to ideas.
·
a Person, I support both your bills, but on the first one, what do you mean by saving a copy of your ballot in your outbox?  And also, would extraneous posts include campaigning in the voting booth?  I think that that should be listed separately.
When you send a PM, there's a checkbox at the bottom labeled "Save a copy in my outbox" which saves a copy in your outbox. Smiley
Campaigning in the voting booth does count as an extraneous post; the MSC would have the discretion to punish it more thoroughly than more 'harmless' posts.
·
Incidentally, this bill would resolve the issue of questionable write-ins eg "pretty boring but both good people", as nobody would see these until the vote is over, so they would be harmless.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:18:31 AM »

My initial statement was unclear.  My only problem with II.2. was "These concerns may be upgraded to charges of electoral crimes at the originator's discretion."

That makes it sound like the person suing can upgrade a lawsuit to prosecution, but prosecution is solely up to the Governor.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 01:58:10 AM »

Oh, okay. Again, though, I'm not sure how to fix that. Would "at the originator's request" be better?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 02:03:06 AM »

I don't think someone should be able to request a prosecution.  That should be left up to the Governor.  If the Governor chooses to ignore prosecution of violators, that would be reason for recall.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 02:30:58 AM »

Well, that's what the 'may' is there for. Tongue

Anyways, we'll see what Gass, shua, and Oldiesfreak have to say, and then we can put up any necessary amendments.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »

Well, that's what the 'may' is there for. Tongue

Anyways, we'll see what Gass, shua, and Oldiesfreak have to say, and then we can put up any necessary amendments.

The "may" makes it sound like the decision is left to the original suit filer, not the Governor.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »

Why is a secret ballot necessary or desirable?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »

Apparently a Person wants a permanent Federalist majority. Grin
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 02:00:50 AM »

To end manipulation of the vote, basically. Mostly I am talking about parties posting/sending stuff like "wxyz already has enough votes to be elected regardless, so any remaining [party members] should vote for hijk and pqrs instead." But it's not just about the big blocs. Last March, I probably would've voted for Gass based on pure preference. However, since I was keeping a count and noticed that one vote would put LvR in over shua, I went for LvR, because I preferred him. (no offence, shua Tongue)

Point is, our votes should be based on which candidates we actually prefer.

Apparently a Person wants a permanent Federalist majority. Grin

No, y'all'd've had a majority this time around (without a secret ballot) if you had been paying attention. Grin
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 02:58:14 AM »

Leadership was paying attention.  Voters chose to vote a different way then was suggested - that's a personal thing, not the party's fault.  I welcome this bill.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 02:59:02 AM »

On another note, are you willing to accept my changes as friendly amendments?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 03:00:23 AM »

What are thoughts on the administrator periodically posting who has voted so far?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 04:51:35 AM »

Leadership was paying attention.  Voters chose to vote a different way then was suggested - that's a personal thing, not the party's fault.  I welcome this bill.
Did you suggest to ZuWo that he should vote for Miles? Because that would've put all three Federalists over.

On another note, are you willing to accept my changes as friendly amendments?

The first one, yeah (pending input from Gass/shua/Oldiesfreak)
The second one I still don't agree with. Why should prosecution be solely up to the Governor if the Governor is the most "dangerous" in this regard? I'd be willing to accept
as friendly though.

What are thoughts on the administrator periodically posting who has voted so far?

Against, and that shouldn't be posted at the end of the vote either.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 03:35:38 PM »

Does this bill prevent the administrator and deputy administrator from campaigning (i.e. sending PMs calling for votes) during the election period? I don't think it's fair if the administrator and deputy administrator are the only ones seeing the votes cast, yet still allowed to influence outstanding voters during that period.

Some other nitpicks-
-You should clarify that the deputy administrator must still remain a registered voter of the Mideast region.
-The maximum penalty should not be life; that's ridiculous for an internet game.

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 06:19:59 PM »

Here are my observations on this bille:

1. Include an express prohibition on campaigning in the voting booth.
2. As for exit polls, shouldn't the election trackers (e.g. Inside Nyman) be the ones who report on those?
3. I honestly can take or leave the secret ballot, but how would that work?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »

Does this bill prevent the administrator and deputy administrator from campaigning (i.e. sending PMs calling for votes) during the election period? I don't think it's fair if the administrator and deputy administrator are the only ones seeing the votes cast, yet still allowed to influence outstanding voters during that period.

Some other nitpicks-
-You should clarify that the deputy administrator must still remain a registered voter of the Mideast region.
-The maximum penalty should not be life; that's ridiculous for an internet game.

I agree with these concerns. There would need to be some way that would know that the people in charge of tallying votes aren't passing that information on.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 11:26:24 PM »

Is the primary voting booth operator already prohibited from being someone who is a candidate in the election?  If not, it would make sense to change that as well if we are moving to a secret ballot - since a candidate is generally the most likely person one would want to keep a ballot secret from.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »

I am generally supportive of this proposal since I think that the secrecy of the ballot should be a key component in a modern democracy.

That being said, are we sure that this bill does not clash with any federal statutes or constitutional clauses?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 01:26:37 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2013, 12:11:08 AM by a Mideast Assemblyperson »

Some other nitpicks-
This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Smiley -- these will be changed, then.

Here are my observations on this bille:

1. Include an express prohibition on campaigning in the voting booth.
2. As for exit polls, shouldn't the election trackers (e.g. Inside Nyman) be the ones who report on those?
3. I honestly can take or leave the secret ballot, but how would that work?
1. 'k
2. I'm not sure what you're saying here. By "links to exit polls", I meant links to the polls themselves (to notify voters, basically), not to the results. Regardless, it's not an essential part of the bill; it's removed now.
3. Secret ballot is kinda the whole point of the bill, dude Tongue
As to how it works, I/3a should give you the idea -- instead of being posted publicly, ballots are sent to the voting booth administrator and the deputy voting booth administrator.

Is the primary voting booth operator already prohibited from being someone who is a candidate in the election?  If not, it would make sense to change that as well if we are moving to a secret ballot - since a candidate is generally the most likely person one would want to keep a ballot secret from.
Definitely. At first I didn't do that because I thought it would require a Constitutional amendment -- I have a better idea now, though. (see below)
The Constitution never defines "unavailable", after all. Grin Thoughts?

I am generally supportive of this proposal since I think that the secrecy of the ballot should be a key component in a modern democracy.
Well said.

That being said, are we sure that this bill does not clash with any federal statutes or constitutional clauses?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't contradict the Atlasian Constitution or the CESRA. Are there other relevant laws?

·

I'll offer a new version, then:
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »

We still need some way for a voting administrator to be chosen if the governor is "unavailable."

and I think you meant either/or instead of neither/nor in I.2.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 12:12:22 AM »

We still need some way for a voting administrator to be chosen if the governor is "unavailable."

Nah, the Constitution has that covered. Smiley

Fixed.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 12:27:40 AM »

only so long as the Gov, Lt Gov, Speaker and Judge aren't all up for election  Undecided

Should this act be a constitutional amendment?  It's a pretty fundamental change.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »

only so long as the Gov, Lt Gov, Speaker and Judge aren't all up for election  Undecided

True. Amended again.

Nah, it fits the precedent of the Transition to PR-STV Act. The way I think we should do this is: pass this bill now, and in four months (ie an entire election cycle), consider adding the right to a secret ballot to the Bill of Rights.

I'm glad y'all are pointing out the flaws, btw. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies