Quebec succession
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:27:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Quebec succession
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quebec succession  (Read 4918 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2005, 09:58:04 PM »

On October 30th, 1995, Quebec votes for independence from Canada.

It is made effect January 1st, 1997, immediately breaking Canada into 3 parts.

Western Canada and Ontario, which keeps the name Canada
Quebec
The Maritime Proviences.

The Maritime Provinces petition to join the United States. The United States agrees. Bill Clinton in his re-inauguration speech calls for making them be independent States.

New Brunkswick and Nova Scotia are admitted as the 51st and 52nd states. It's decided that Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edwards Island should all be admitted as the 53rd state, called Maritime.

They each get 1 Congressional district, and the number of House members temporary increases until 2002.

All 3 House members, and 6 Senators elected are Democrats.
In 2000, they all vote for Al Gore.
Al Gore narrowly loses Florida. He notes that there were all sorts of problems there, but since he just won the electoral college 276-271 without Florida, and won the popular vote by around 750,000 votes, he declines to ask for a recount.  Governor Rowland of CT gets to replace Lieberman with a Republican. The Democrats now control the Senate 55-51.

The Republicans control the House by a narrow 224-214 margin.

Gore has center-left policies. He uses much of the 2001 surplus to pay down the debt, but he spends some money on tax cuts of reduced income and payroll taxes for the poor. he pursues an anti-terrorist agenda, especially after the August 17th arrest of Zacarias Moussaoui, whom an FBI investigater determines was planning to fly a plane into the World Trade Center. Airports are put on high alert, and several other potential hijackers are arrested.  Al Gore gives a speech September 1st, warning of potential terrorist threasts, including hijacked planes. On September 11th, 4 hijackers hijack a plane flying from Boston to California, but they are quickly overwhelemed by angry passengers.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 10:02:44 PM »

LOL, in comes Super Gore defender of all that is good.  Come one.  This is no better than toilet paper.  For a real Al Gore Presidency, check out this thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=14017.0
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 12:24:09 AM »

You mean they succeed at seceding?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 02:50:33 AM »

I wish Canada would secede from Quebec.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 04:19:33 AM »

Me thinks one of the conditions of joining the US would be that PEI would be a separate state. I know it is too small, but I can't see it arbitrarily joining Newfoundland as it has no connection to the rock at all.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 04:31:33 AM »

Me thinks one of the conditions of joining the US would be that PEI would be a separate state. I know it is too small, but I can't see it arbitrarily joining Newfoundland as it has no connection to the rock at all.

You could always stick it with Newfoundland and call the state "Prince Edward Island"; that'd make as much sense as the state called Rhode Island. Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 04:35:05 AM »

Or Idaho
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 05:38:30 AM »

You could always stick it with Newfoundland and call the state "Prince Edward Island"; that'd make as much sense as the state called Rhode Island. Wink

I don't really see why there needs to be a lower liimit for population in a state. If it can be a province in Canada, why can't it be a US state?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 06:01:31 AM »

I don't really see why there needs to be a lower liimit for population in a state. If it can be a province in Canada, why can't it be a US state?

Because Canada doesn't have apportion a legislative body with real power on the basis of  equal representation per province, the US does. Also if PEI were admitted with its current population there would be no basis for denying either the Virgin Islands or Guam statehood as well which they both clearly want.  PEI might be offered territory status tho without having to join any of its neighbors.

That said, if Quebec did secede, I can't see the US rushing to admit the Maritimes.  More likely the US would offer a NAFTA type arrangement to them if they did break from Canada which is also unlikely.  The Maritimes would never leave Canada of their own accord except if Quebec seceeds and the US offers to admit them.  Ontario would have even more power in what remains of Canada without Quebec, but  if they kicked out the Maritimes the western provinces would depart as well.  In short, a three piece Canadian division would not occur.  It would either be a two piece split or Canada would shatter.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 09:31:30 AM »

A split Canada would have serious troubles.  The Maritimes already feel isolated and forgotten to a degree.  This would get worse without a land connection between the two sections of the nation.  Either they would get a disproportionately large amount of money from the Canadian government to keep them happy and in the country or they would get less and have to look to leave.

Quebec would also face problems of its own.  It would be faced with its own secessionist movements of bits of the country wanting to stay with Canada, shaky relations with all of its neighbors and the need to establish a global diplomatic presence.

Canada would use a defining national event that everyone in the nation can rally around.  Something other than their love of beer, hockey and not being American.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 05:04:23 PM »

A split Canada would have serious troubles.  The Maritimes already feel isolated and forgotten to a degree.  This would get worse without a land connection between the two sections of the nation.  Either they would get a disproportionately large amount of money from the Canadian government to keep them happy and in the country or they would get less and have to look to leave.

Quebec would also face problems of its own.  It would be faced with its own secessionist movements of bits of the country wanting to stay with Canada, shaky relations with all of its neighbors and the need to establish a global diplomatic presence.

Canada would use a defining national event that everyone in the nation can rally around.  Something other than their love of beer, hockey and not being American.

Bush has united Canada.... against Bush.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 05:08:51 PM »

Bush has united Canada.... against Bush.

ok
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 07:55:40 PM »

Because Canada doesn't have apportion a legislative body with real power on the basis of  equal representation per province, the US does. Also if PEI were admitted with its current population there would be no basis for denying either the Virgin Islands or Guam statehood as well which they both clearly want.  PEI might be offered territory status tho without having to join any of its neighbors.

That said, if Quebec did secede, I can't see the US rushing to admit the Maritimes.  More likely the US would offer a NAFTA type arrangement to them if they did break from Canada which is also unlikely.  The Maritimes would never leave Canada of their own accord except if Quebec seceeds and the US offers to admit them.  Ontario would have even more power in what remains of Canada without Quebec, but  if they kicked out the Maritimes the western provinces would depart as well.  In short, a three piece Canadian division would not occur.  It would either be a two piece split or Canada would shatter.

True... Atlantic Canada would likely not separate if Quebec did, I can't see it happening. I'm not sure if PEI would accept territory status, however it does have less people than Guam (however more than the Vigin Islands)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 10:30:41 AM »

It's SECESSION not succession. Silly troll.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies