Roman Polanski says women today are too masculine (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:18:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Roman Polanski says women today are too masculine (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roman Polanski says women today are too masculine  (Read 5495 times)
Lurker
Norway
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:44:13 AM »

The whole point of gender studies is precisely to deconstruct the idea that people are male or female and therefore should act a certain way, and let everyone free to express themselves however they feel.

Just curious: Is "gender studies" generally a respected academic field in your country? I get the impression (which may well be wrong) that those kinds of academics get more respect/attention in France than they do here. In Norway, gender studies is seen as a bit of a joke by much of the country, particularly after a very critical documentary series a few years back

As for Polanski, I think it's pretty unbelievable how that child rapist is still treated as a hero by the film industry...
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:02:51 AM »

Lurker, was that documentary 'Brainwash' by any chance?

Indeed. To say that it attracted controversy would be understating it! (though I am a bit surprised that an Irishman has heard of it Tongue )
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »

People who don't take gender studies seriously do so for pretty obvious reasons (see Plato's cavern allegory - most people will never admit that the way they have been socialized throughout their lives has warped their vision of reality).

I don't think that anybody (ok, maybe some morons) would disagree that socialization plays a part. The argument of those in the natural sciences has tended to be that "gender studies" goes too far in rejecting the role of biology.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »

Lurker, was that documentary 'Brainwash' by any chance?

Indeed. To say that it attracted controversy would be understating it! (though I am a bit surprised that an Irishman has heard of it Tongue )

I'm a historian/Anthropologist interested in these sort of controversies so I picked it up somewhere. Any links on the controversies by the way?

I could easily provide you with many links, but they probably wouldn't be much use unless you understand Norwegian. The entire series (7 episodes of 40 minutes) has been uploaded on Youtube btw, with English subtitles, so here's a link if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ2xrnyH2wQ
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies