Roman Polanski says women today are too masculine (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:51:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Roman Polanski says women today are too masculine (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roman Polanski says women today are too masculine  (Read 5515 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 06, 2013, 06:13:57 PM »

Lurker, was that documentary 'Brainwash' by any chance?

Indeed. To say that it attracted controversy would be understating it! (though I am a bit surprised that an Irishman has heard of it Tongue )

I'm a historian/Anthropologist interested in these sort of controversies so I picked it up somewhere. Any links on the controversies by the way?

I could easily provide you with many links, but they probably wouldn't be much use unless you understand Norwegian. The entire series (7 episodes of 40 minutes) has been uploaded on Youtube btw, with English subtitles, so here's a link if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ2xrnyH2wQ

I just watched the first part of that and saw Norwegian researchers claim that there are no biologically-based differences in how men and women think. That's a rather strange claim to make, given the existence of hormones like testosterone and estrogen.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »

I just watched the first part of that and saw Norwegian researchers claim that there are no biologically-based differences in how men and women think. That's a rather strange claim to make, given the existence of hormones like testosterone and estrogen.

Maybe, but there's not a way how men and women think, there are as many ways as men and women are alive. You cannot define what's intrinsacally masculine or feminine in the way how humans think, only to handle averages and behaviors more or less common to one or another sex, without knowing which percentage in a certain conduct is social conditioning and which role play the hormones. In addition the hormonal levels, that unlike the behaviors or ways of thinking are measurable, vary a lot among individuals. In other words, some girls are bigger than others.

Certainly not all people of a given sex are the same, but there are clear predilections that exist, and I do not see how they are attributable to culture alone. Some women have more testosterone than others, but they all tend to have far less than the levels that are found in men. I agree that nature vs. nurture is not something that can be measured for the most part in this context, but to claim that human behavior is 100% nurture as these people did seems a little strange to me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies