Roman Polanski says women today are too masculine (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:23:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Roman Polanski says women today are too masculine (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roman Polanski says women today are too masculine  (Read 5460 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: May 28, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »

I totally agree that we can choose one or two pictures of women as representative of 50% of humanity for an entire period of time.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:51:17 AM »

Are we actually going to use terms like "masculine" and "feminine" at face value, without adding the caveats that should be obvious to all by the 21st century? Masculinity and feminity are social constructs, which reflect the expectation society has toward men and women respectively. They do not actually have an inherent link to a person's sex.
I thought that the absurd idea than masculinity and feminity are social constructs was more typical of the mid 20th centuries and has long since been rejected. See this case, for example

Except no. The Reimer case is too ambigious to prove anything (after all would things have been better had he grown up male? What would have happened if he tried to find a girlfriend?). There are traits which are more common to males and to females but those are traits and don't distribute evenly across the population, essentializing them and saying "X is what all Y do/are" is a social construct. Transgenderism is actually proof of this (and the evidence is pointing towards the idea that Transgenderism is biological).

I don't think Gender studies is really taken seriously anywhere.

Lurker, was that documentary 'Brainwash' by any chance?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »

Lurker, was that documentary 'Brainwash' by any chance?

Indeed. To say that it attracted controversy would be understating it! (though I am a bit surprised that an Irishman has heard of it Tongue )

I'm a historian/Anthropologist interested in these sort of controversies so I picked it up somewhere. Any links on the controversies by the way?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Obviously and trivally true, but the problem here is defining what biology does (Often these arguments descend into unfortunate metaphor about "animals" and stuff). That is not clear cut and it would be wrong to deduce some facts just because they are the conventional wisdom of contemporary scientists. After all, Behaviourism was pretty much the only form of scientific psychology in American Universities from Watson to the late 1950s. There is still a lot to figure out and I find a lot of this biological psychology is rather ahistorical and can't explain very well changes about by living in different societies (This should not be a defense of Gender Studies, at least not necessarily).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies