The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 07:48:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 211461 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: August 25, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »

Continuing in this vein:

Apparently Nathan objects to the term 'invisible sky wizard'. Generic it may be, but accurate nonetheless.

In addition to seeming to have misread my previous post in this thread, Joe doubles down and insists on continuing to confuse his demeaning stereotype of Christianity with a demeaning oversimplification of what I think might be some form of Tengriism.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #526 on: August 25, 2013, 05:45:05 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2013, 06:33:40 AM by afleitch »

I responded fairly politely in the other thread before reading this one. Nathan, be a little introspective.  It took me a while to work out why because other people like you but I think I can talk about it now. You're obviously very bright and you try and show it on here. Its a fantastic coping mechanism that no doubt offers you protections in life against people who might make your life hell. On here however you use it to disarm posters in discussions and people love it. It's entertaining. The problem is you use it against people who are otherwise struggling to elaborate their own position or simply against people who just like to use plain English and that is belittling.  That wouldn't bother me except that you use it to get at other posters. There are some on here who you actually hound. A lot of people look up to you and try and copy your style (read through some of the threads in which you make or respond to an argument). It doesn't work because it's not as subtle. It's important to play fair and sometimes I don't think you can. When I read your posts I don't even take in the substance of what you say. All I see are very painful catty remarks from someone that I think wrestles with a number of personal issues.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #527 on: August 25, 2013, 09:37:27 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2013, 09:39:40 AM by Scott »

Why the outrage?  If you're someone who thinks that the God of Abrahamic religions can be accurately reduced to an "invisible sky wizard" (as Joe so childishly put it), you should not be criticizing Abrahamic religions.  If "disarming" a person's uneducated position on something is now considered catty, then I guess the discussion itself is fruitless.  I'm not saying the forum theists haven't said a dumb thing every now and then, but people like Joe and memphis have repeatedly demonstrated their ignorance toward these issues, and their contempt should not be a reason for Nathan to dumb down his rhetoric.  If rhetoric, and not logic, is the major problem with Nathan's arguments, then he has nothing to apologize for.  Exposing your opponent's intellectual weaknesses isn't meant to be personal.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #528 on: August 25, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »

Why the outrage?  If you're someone who thinks that the God of Abrahamic religions can be accurately reduced to an "invisible sky wizard" (as Joe so childishly put it), you should not be criticizing Abrahamic religions.  If "disarming" a person's uneducated position on something is now considered catty, then I guess the discussion itself is fruitless.  I'm not saying the forum theists haven't said a dumb thing every now and then, but people like Joe and memphis have repeatedly demonstrated their ignorance toward these issues, and their contempt should not be a reason for Nathan to dumb down his rhetoric.  If rhetoric, and not logic, is the major problem with Nathan's arguments, then he has nothing to apologize for.  Exposing your opponent's intellectual weaknesses isn't meant to be personal.

No. My post had nothing to do with that thread in particular. It's a lot deeper than that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #529 on: August 26, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »

He has the right to not offer contraceptives in the insurance plans his company offers its employees.  I think threatening to close down the stores is going way too far, but the government has no right to fight him over his religious belief.  Any other employer could probably choose not to offer contraceptives for non-religious reasons and the government would have no problem with it.  Seems like the government is trying to outlaw any kind of religious expression in the public arena.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #530 on: August 26, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »

With regards to evolution you would rather believe a crackpot like Darwin blindly instead of men like George Washington Carver, Copernicus, Galileo, Issac Newton, Ron and Rand Paul, Kelvin, Faraday, Pascal and Pasteur amongst many others like DiVinci
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #531 on: August 26, 2013, 08:34:20 PM »

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to ask about Paul Ryan, but I'll give it a try. I don't mean to offend people or be off color, but do you think he's straight?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #532 on: August 26, 2013, 08:49:01 PM »

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to ask about Paul Ryan, but I'll give it a try. I don't mean to offend people or be off color, but do you think he's straight?

I am so confused.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #533 on: August 27, 2013, 10:07:05 PM »

Disgusting. Obomber is a pretty dead on nickname for this man.

Your support of Assad is what's disgusting.
I rather see Assad hold power for another three decades than see another generation of Arabs growing up with a hatred of the United States. The Libyans showed their gratitude by storming our consulate. If you want Assad out, why don’t you go to Syria and enlist as a foreign volunteer in the Free Syrian Army.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #534 on: August 27, 2013, 10:10:43 PM »

"Obomber"

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #535 on: August 28, 2013, 06:36:13 AM »

I rather see Assad hold power for another three decades than see another generation of Arabs growing up with a hatred of the United States. The Libyans showed their gratitude by storming our consulate. If you want Assad out, why don’t you go to Syria and enlist as a foreign volunteer in the Free Syrian Army.

So Sanchez thinks dead Arabs > America-hating Arabs. Wow.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #536 on: August 28, 2013, 08:00:36 AM »

So Sanchez thinks dead Arabs > America-hating Arabs. Wow.

The way things are going I tend to think it will be dead Arabs regardless of what America does.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #537 on: August 28, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »

The Civil War and World War II, for lack of any (or at least any obvious) better, non-war options in those contexts. That's it.

Anybody who thinks that being 'right on taxes and federalism' by whatever definition outweighs, counterbalances, or even approaches attempting to found a country expressly to preserve one's right to keep slaves, or slavery as an issue in general if one takes the entirely counterhistorical view that that was somehow not what the Confederacy was about, has priorities that I don't understand and frankly am too terrified of to want to. The questions are of such vastly different orders of human and moral significance that saying that 'both sides were right and wrong' is at best an incredibly sick joke.

Civil Liberties are not a sick joke.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #538 on: August 28, 2013, 03:11:05 PM »

To be fair, these are all good things.  Except the last five, which are just racist.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #539 on: August 28, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »

To be fair, these are all good things.  Except the last five, which are just racist.

So which one of those things is bad? Is it the intact homes or the graduating from high school?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #540 on: August 28, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »

screw that prick and his faux concern. I hate it when white people act like this. As if they feel anything but joy whenever they get to talk down to black people.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #541 on: August 28, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »

So which one of those things is bad? Is it the intact homes or the graduating from high school?

The idea of singling out black people for these problems (especially the drugs one, given that white people use drugs more than black people).
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #542 on: August 30, 2013, 12:19:08 AM »

As for spying, spying on foreigners is part of being an American.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #543 on: August 30, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »

Most of his posts in that thread belong here.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #544 on: September 01, 2013, 10:14:18 AM »

I'm floored that people listen to country music unironically. I'd rather listen to yodeling.

Context may be necessary.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #545 on: September 01, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »

Are your parents gonna go to any of the conferences?

Of course not.  Only parents of high school students are invited.  If anybody should attend my parent teacher conference, it is me because since I am well over the age of 18, I am responsible for myself.  Mom and Dad have no responsibility over me.  Plus, since I am paying for this all myself, they really have no say except encouragement to go.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #546 on: September 01, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »

This is typical liberal thinking, and exemplifies the problems with the party: entitlement.

1. Employers do NOT owe their workers a living.

2. If you are unhappy with your pay, either get a second job or find a better job by either applying yourself more, or completing high school (believe it or not, anyone who has a high school diploma can get a job for more than minimum wage), and if you have the financial means, then go off to higher education.

3. Inflation: If the minimum wage was raised to $15, as many of this less-ambitious crowd want, then all it would do is push the wages of other jobs up, thus the net result being the status quo but with inflation.

4. Because a lowly educated sector of the population deserves to be making what college students and recent college grads make - yeah, that's fair. (Sarcasm).

5. We truly are reaching the tipping point, it's scary. If you can make a decent/comfortable-enough living by working at McDonald's then why would people even try striving for better jobs (other than those select few who would do so for pride alone). Entitlement is going to destroy this society by such a spoiled sector who thinks life should be handed to them on a silver platter.

If I was an employer at a fastfood or retail store, and my employee skipped work to protest - I'd fire him/her. Don't like the job? Ok, complain on your own time, but if you skipped work to do it, then I'd fire you - go find somewhere else, then.

Unbelievable. The sense of entitlement of this sector is mind boggling.

In 2007 Mitt Romney constantly said: "Dependency is death to initiative." Say what you like about him, but that sentiment is all too true.

Stop complaining, stop thinking that people owe you a good living. Go out there and make something of yourself.

No one should be rewarded for being lazy and unambitious. It makes me sick.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #547 on: September 01, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2013, 06:40:15 PM by Communists For McCain »

Yet another gem from our resident advocate of WASP Supremacy

I often think we would be a better country if, during the post-war era 70-ish years ago when the WASP elites lost and/or abdicated their remaining monopolies on America's institutions of wealth and power, the non-Yankee whites, Jews, Italians and other strivers who took their places had acquired their values along with their corner offices, stock exchange seats and places at Harvard.

The notion of wealth as something requiring stewardship, taste and discretion, as something to be managed and grown not just for one's own benefit but for the benefit of those who haven't even been born yet is gone. The idea that the privileges of power and wealth entail with them responsibility and reciprocity to society is dead. Instead, wealth is now simply money - spent and leveraged indiscriminately to satisfy ego and conspicuous consumption, like small fish thrown into a shark tank only to be torn to shreds and gobbled up.

The people who buy the old houses on Long Island don't want to maintain them and the things they stand for and the history they hold. They only want to tear them down and build a garish edifice to themselves. And an ersatz interpretation of WASP aesthetic can be found in your local department store - Ralph Lauren shirts with cartoonishly large pony logos, Tommy Hilfiger shorts in day-glow colors - that misses the point entirely. It's status without discretion. It's luxury without taste. It's money without responsibility.

I guess some people think that the 18 hour work day, dangerous working conditions, and wages of five cents an hour were great values.
Surprise.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #548 on: September 01, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »

Bush was a genius on foreign policy and a mastermind on taxes. Any dumb ass from the street could've been stuffed into a suit to give Obama's speeches as long as they have a good voice. President Bush is a very admirable man who would do whatever he thought was best for our nation regardless of what Democrats said.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #549 on: September 02, 2013, 03:43:06 AM »

STOP POSTING BARFBAG'S POSTS HERE.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length