All-Male Panel Considers House Bill To Restrict Women's Reproductive Rights
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:17:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  All-Male Panel Considers House Bill To Restrict Women's Reproductive Rights
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: All-Male Panel Considers House Bill To Restrict Women's Reproductive Rights  (Read 4465 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Huffington Post

The GOP reach-out to women continues.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »

Umm... again? Then they wonder on election day why women don't vote for them.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »

In the 1970's an all adult supreme court restricted babies' right to life...

See I can make disingenuous headlines too Roll Eyes
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »

^Cool story bro

I love how Republicans restrict the time period to get an abortion and make it more expensive to get one (leaving less time for someone without a decent savings account to save up the money)...and then talk about personal responsibility.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »

Nope.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »

You think that calling fetuses babies helps your side, but it really hurts your side.  Rational, reasonable people who might be swayed by your other arguments are immediately turned off my that emotion-whoring terminology.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »

Huffington Post

so your point is , what, the Subcommittee on the Constitution shouldn't consider bills dealing with abortion?   there should be a gender quota on every House Committee?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »

Huffington Post

so your point is , what, the Subcommittee on the Constitution shouldn't consider bills dealing with abortion?   there should be a gender quota on every House Committee?

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »

Huffington Post

huh?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »

Huffington Post

Yes.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »

Huffington Post

Abortion policy is an issue which affects women disproportionately more than it affects men, so a reasonable person would want women adequately represented in a committee that is discussing a bill on it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »

Committee quotas, actually, doesn't sound like a crazy idea when we consider that some issues disproportionately affect one group more than others.  This is the House of Representatives, after all, and I think women are entitled to having say on issues that affect women just as minorities are entitled to having say on issues that affect minorities.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »

Huffington Post

Abortion policy is an issue which affects women disproportionately more than it affects men, so a reasonable person would want women adequately represented in a committee that is discussing a bill on it.

okay - but 99% of the hearings before this subcommittee do not deal with abortion.  The reason it was brought before it is the Supreme Court decisions on the matter.  Unless you have a gender quota for every subcommittee, every now and then something is going to discussed by an all-male committee on an issue that disproportionately affects women.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 12:19:15 AM »

It's OK, women don't get pregnant from legitimate rape and Savita Halappanavar didn't die from being denied an abortion.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 01:53:26 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2013, 04:43:23 AM by Landslide Lyndon »

Next item, Republican outreach to African-Americans.

Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »

These people are so bad, that at times I wonder if they are Democrat plants.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 06:47:11 AM »

Huffington Post

okay - but 99% of the hearings before this subcommittee do not deal with abortion.  The reason it was brought before it is the Supreme Court decisions on the matter.  Unless you have a gender quota for every subcommittee, every now and then something is going to discussed by an all-male committee on an issue that disproportionately affects women.

That shouldn't stop such panels from bringing in some women to testify on the issue and give perspective.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »

I realize I'm going to get tagged with moderate heroism tendencies for saying this.  But there are Dems on this subcommittee too--and their caucus didn't put any women on it either.  I mean, even apart from abortion, aren't there a plethora of constitutional issues pertaining to legislation that effect female as well as male citizens?  And if so, why didn't either party put a single female rep on the committee?? 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »

Huffington Post

That shouldn't stop such panels from bringing in some women to testify on the issue and give perspective.

Sure. Maybe they did, or plan to. The article doesn't address that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »

Huffington Post

I can't cut and paste on this phone very well, so you'll just have to look up the wikipedia entry on 'Irony" yourself.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »

Huffington Post

I can't cut and paste on this phone very well, so you'll just have to look up the wikipedia entry on 'Irony" yourself.

very perceptive.  I was attempting something like Socratic irony.  I've never realized Columbo could be thought of as an example of it.   

do you subscribe to the Kierkegaardian view of irony as an infinite absolute negativity?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »

Huffington Post

very perceptive.  I was attempting something like Socratic irony.  I've never realized Columbo could be thought of as an example of it.   

do you subscribe to the Kierkegaardian view of irony as an infinite absolute negativity?

Herp-derp.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »

Huffington Post

Herp-derp.

I'll take that as a yes.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »

Yes.

And while we are at it every Subcommittee should have representation from the Bulgarian-American community so the Bulgarian-American community's rights can be protected.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »

Yes.

And while we are at it every Subcommittee should have representation from the Bulgarian-American community so the Bulgarian-American community's rights can be protected.

This seems fair and reasonable.  Bulgarian-American issues do tend to come up as much.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies