Arrested Development: Season 4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:42:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Arrested Development: Season 4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Arrested Development: Season 4  (Read 1026 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:18:12 AM »

Get yourself a stew going, have some hot ham water, grab a Burger King (It's a wonderful restaurant)as Season 4 is on Netflix this weekend. It's as Anne as the nose on plains face that this is probably one of the best comedies of the last ten years.

I cannot wait Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:37:51 AM »

Me neither! Cheesy
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:41:25 AM »

I meant to re-watch the whole serious but never got around to it. I suppose I'll just re-watch the finale, although I may miss out on a lot of the subtle running jokes I don't remember.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »

I wish they had this on IFC or something.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »

I wish they had this on IFC or something.

Do you not have Netflix? I'm pretty sure when you sign up the first month is free, so you can just cancel after that if you want (though it's only like $8 a month if I remember correctly).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:58:16 PM »

Very excited.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »

I'm firing up the cornballer as I type.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

Extremely excited for this.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 02:03:47 AM »

IT'S LIVE
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »

It takes a while to get used to but it all starts coming together a few episodes in.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 12:11:40 AM »

It takes a while to get used to but it all starts coming together a few episodes in.

My thoughts exactly.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:40:46 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2013, 09:45:43 AM by Paul Kemp »

Only 6 episodes in but what happened to Portia De Rossi's face? Dammit Ellen.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »

Finished it.

It's very good. There isn't much else to say. Each episode opens up more and more so that you end up remembering things that didn't make sense earlier on. Now I need to watch it again Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »

This is so great. Each episode builds on the one before it and gets funnier and funnier. They really took advantage of the "season" being released all at once on Netflix and made something really unique and entertaining.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 11:49:17 AM »

I watched the first episode last night and I wasn't all that impressed.  I remembered liking Michael, George Michael and his sexy cousin...but they all just pissed me off this episode.  I'll keep watching though.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 01:37:47 PM »

I watched the first episode last night and I wasn't all that impressed.  I remembered liking Michael, George Michael and his sexy cousin...but they all just pissed me off this episode.  I'll keep watching though.

The whole point of the season is that you're supposed to keep watching. Shame some of the reviewers aren't getting it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »

Not everybody has 7 hours in a row to sit around and watch TV.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »

Not everybody has 7 hours in a row to sit around and watch TV.

Indeed. TV reviewers have 24 hours to sit around and watch TV Cheesy
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 04:27:08 PM »

I'm on episode 10 and I have to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed. I'm not sure the new individualized structure works and I feel like they may be giving us too much information. I also don't think the new jokes and bits are that great (the best ones being Tobias' To Catch a Predator incident and Gob's "entourage"). Some of it does seem a bit forced and the storylines aren't really drawing me in. I also feel like they've made Michael a cartoon character a bit like the rest of his family, whereas the big draw of his character in the original seasons was that he was the only sane member of the family.

I also read that there's no Franklin or chicken dance thus making me doubt my commitment.

This all being said, I'm still enjoying it but it just doesn't feel right. I suppose it's a bit my own fault for expecting every thing to be the same seven years later.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2013, 05:04:34 PM by Lief »

Meh, Michael was never really that sane or responsible. He's always been just as selfish, cruel and incompetent as the rest of the family. He's a really bad father, he lies as often as the rest of the family, he stole his brother's girlfriend, and let's remember his first acts upon becoming president of the Bluth were buying a box full of whistles and a worthless lemon grove. Season 4 Michael is just the natural progression of his character when he no longer has the sense of superiority that comes from thinking he's taking care of his family.

There's a really good chicken dance joke in one of the last episodes, but the lack of Franklin was very disappointing, yes. And while I do think the individualized episodes ultimately worked pretty well, one of the series' original strengths was the chemistry and interplay between all the characters, which there's a lot less of this season. Hopefully if they do a season 5 they'll be able to schedule it better so that all the actors can take part together.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »

Meh, Michael was never really that sane or responsible. He's always been just as selfish, cruel and incompetent as the rest of the family. He's a really bad father, he lies as often as the rest of the family, he stole his brother's girlfriend, and let's remember his first acts upon becoming president of the Bluth were buying a box full of whistles and a worthless lemon grove. Season 4 Michael is just the natural progression of his character when he no longer has the sense of superiority that comes from thinking he's taking care of his family.

Yea, you're right. I suppose I didn't put it correctly. I'm not sure what it is but his characterization doesn't feel right to me. I still had some sense that in the first three seasons he was the "straight man" character to the rest of the family, as much of an ass as he might have been.

And while I do think the individualized episodes ultimately worked pretty well, one of the series' original strengths was the chemistry and interplay between all the characters, which there's a lot less of this season. Hopefully if they do a season 5 they'll be able to schedule it better so that all the actors can take part together.

I agree, although from what I gather this is the last "season" and they plan on making a movie to cap it off. The chemistry and ability of the actors to work off each other really was what made it work.

I'd be interested to see how these storylines would work re-edited into conventional episodes out of curiosity. Obviously a lot would be lost but it would be interesting.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 07:05:55 PM »

Yea, you're right. I suppose I didn't put it correctly. I'm not sure what it is but his characterization doesn't feel right to me. I still had some sense that in the first three seasons he was the "straight man" character to the rest of the family, as much of an ass as he might have been.
Yeah, I was feeling your way (Michael as "straight man") as well, but suppose Lief is also correct that he always was a pretty sh**tty guy too.

I hope the jokes are better in the next few episodes or I don't know if I'm going to make it.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 02:36:57 AM »

...Ellen is responsible?

Puh-lease. Roll Eyes
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 04:02:37 AM »

I guess this is one of those shows that someone like me is supposed to enjoy but I never really found it all that interesting or funny. It's definitely not horrible but I always felt like they were trying a bit too hard and I find Ron Howard's voiceover kind of grating. Based on what you guys are saying, it definitely sounds like the new season won't be any more appealing to me.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 08:28:30 AM »

...Ellen is responsible?

Puh-lease. Roll Eyes

Yea, that was totally serious.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies