Texas 2014 - GOV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:51:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas 2014 - GOV
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas 2014 - GOV  (Read 1168 times)
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »

Has anyone heard whether Perry is gonna run for another term? Also who would challenge him in the primaries if he did? I can only think of Cruz trying to primary him, but I'm sure there are others that would. How will the race go if Perry doesn't run again? Who would run?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:42:54 PM »

Latest reports are that Perry will retire and AG Greg Abbott will be the Pub candidate.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »

Yeah, Greg Abbott primary or R nominee. Larry Kilgore is also running, which will be fun. For the Dems, there's a couple of Houston Mayors, the 2010 nominee, couple State Sens, couple State Reps, and a Jewish cowboy.
seanNJ9
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »

Wendy Davis?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:55:25 PM »

Perry will officially announce later this year after the legislature adjourns, but his fundraising numbers and his hands-off approach this session suggest he's going to take his leave. (Though it wouldn't surprise me if he became a full-time presidential candidate after his term is up, or, when that doesn't work, a fame-monger in the Sarah Palin style).

Greg Abbott will run. So is Tom Pauken, the former chair of the state Republican Party.

Ted Cruz has a good thing going for him already and isn't going to go shopping for a new job already. And unlike many states, Texas tends to have an invisible wall between state and federal offices. Governors and statewide officers don't run for Congress and vice versa. (And on the rare occasion they do, it doesn't end well - see Kay Bailey Hutchison).

There seems to be more action in the down-ticket races for Lieutenant Governor, Comptroller and the various commissioners. Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst has a target on his back after his disastrous Senate campaign. Comptroller Susan Combs was going to run for Lt Gov but her incompetent handling of her agency over the past couple of years means she's already got people lining up to run against her for her present job.

As for the Democrats, no one wants to give up a seat in Congress or the Legislature to run a race they can't win. They'll get some wealthy businessman or trial lawyer to run who they can convince to pour a decent amount of money into the race. They'd be better served to focus on getting their numbers in the State House up.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »

Yeah, Greg Abbott primary or R nominee. Larry Kilgore is also running, which will be fun. For the Dems, there's a couple of Houston Mayors, the 2010 nominee, couple State Sens, couple State Reps, and a Jewish cowboy.

This pretty much. Though I haven't heard anything about Kinky freedman in a long while.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »

This pretty much. Though I haven't heard anything about Kinky freedman in a long while.

Read the Jewish magazines then.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »

lol I hope he gives an Indie run another shot.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »

Read the Jewish magazines then.

A real mensch, that one.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 01:19:54 AM »

I think Greg Abbott will definitely run and win. He's made some crazy comments, but then again this is the state that elected Ted Cruz in a landslide, so Democrats have no chance.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 03:03:05 AM »

I think she would have considered a run, but she unfortunately drew the short straw last Jan. and has to run for reelection again in '14. If she doesn't go for Governor she could try for Secretary of State or something in '18, and be well positioned to challenge Cornyn/win an open seat in 2020.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 01:40:07 PM »

I think Greg Abbott will definitely run and win. He's made some crazy comments, but then again this is the state that elected Ted Cruz in a landslide, so Democrats have no chance.
It wasn't really a landslide, but it was comfortable.  Personally, I'd like to see David Dewhurst run.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 08:55:41 PM »

Perry apparently wants to run for President in 2016; and after his disaster of a 2012 performance, if he wants to run again and be taken seriously he has to be redeemed in a non-presidential race first. So, it makes sense to me that Perry will run once again for one last term as Governor of Texas. He's beaten far more talented opponents than Greg Abbott and this will be familiar territory for Perry.

Now, I haven't read on any "hands-off" approach to fundraising or somesuch, which would seem to indicate that Perry isn't seeking reelection. He could be leaving politics, of course, but if he's not and intends to run for another office (President 2016 being the most likely) a victory in this race is absolutely necessary for him to be taken seriously.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 11:54:35 PM »

Perry apparently wants to run for President in 2016; and after his disaster of a 2012 performance, if he wants to run again and be taken seriously he has to be redeemed in a non-presidential race first. So, it makes sense to me that Perry will run once again for one last term as Governor of Texas. He's beaten far more talented opponents than Greg Abbott and this will be familiar territory for Perry.

Now, I haven't read on any "hands-off" approach to fundraising or somesuch, which would seem to indicate that Perry isn't seeking reelection. He could be leaving politics, of course, but if he's not and intends to run for another office (President 2016 being the most likely) a victory in this race is absolutely necessary for him to be taken seriously.

Perry has been the Governor of Texas for almost 13 years now. Another victory is meaningless on his resume, and he's not going to get national attention for running and winning. He's a Republican in Texas; it's expected. He's ancient news right now.

If Perry wants to take another shot at the White House, he needs to get the heck out of the governor's seat and spend the next two-and-a-half years undergoing an image makeover while convincing donors to sink their money in him. Every day he spends in Austin is another day spent being viewed as the pea-brained good ol' boy who can't debate in front of a national audience.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 07:39:54 AM »

I think Abbott will win, but I also think it will be a much more competitive primary battle than people seem to be expecting.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »

I think Abbott will win, but I also think it will be a much more competitive primary battle than people seem to be expecting.

If Perry and Abbot do both go at it, then I expect it will be competitive, but Abbot to win by a few points.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »

UT Austin and the Texas Tribune is showing Perry romping Abbott 45-19.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »

Good, too bad they didn't poll GE match ups though, which is kinda weird.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 02:02:55 AM »

So you're telling me there's a chance for 2018?
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 01:14:41 PM »

Why doesn't Perry drop the pretense and just declare himself Emperor of Texas at this point?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 11:33:16 PM »

Why doesn't Perry drop the pretense and just declare himself Emperor of Texas at this point?

At this point, I would support giving Perry some worthless, important-sounding title ("Governor Emeritus" or something) and a housing and travel allowance for him to maintain his taxpayer-funded "lifestyle" if he would just go away and bumble as a private citizen who can do no substantive harm. The money and the sense of importance are the only thing motivating him at this point. He was AWOL during session only to come in and veto various bills that had bipartisan support and either didn't hold the Tea Party line (a state-level version of the Ledbetter Act) or that interfered with his political cronies (a law requiring railroad commissioners resign before seeking another elected office; Barry Smitherman, who Perry appointed to the commission, is considering a run for attorney general).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies