Give a detailed, sincere, brutally honest description of the previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:53:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Give a detailed, sincere, brutally honest description of the previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Give a detailed, sincere, brutally honest description of the previous poster  (Read 9287 times)
Kitteh
drj101
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »

I'm tired of thousands of "previous poster" threads where people give meaningless, trite, and unexplained answers to pointless questions, or the inane positivity of threads like that "Is the previous poster an FF or HP" thread where every single person posts "FF" without even giving a single reason. So let's try something different.

In this thread, I want you to give your real opinions of the preceding poster, being as detailed and honest as possible. Talk about their strengths and their flaws, because people are much more complicated than just "FF" or "HP".
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »

Being brutally honest, I have no idea who in the nine hells this person is or why I should care.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »

Is my 'Player 2 Select' on the Religion and Philosophy Board. Neither of us like details unless pressed so it makes sense not to elaborate Cheesy
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:38:14 PM »

Being brutally honest, I am very impressed with the quality of both afleitch's mind and body. And except for Scottish nationalism (no big deal to me actually), we agree on most things more or less as well, including our mutual lack of religious faith. We have never had a cross word with each other ever. The chap could be more active in the cave, but he is more active than many as a Mod. I also adore his accent, which I have had the pleasure of hearing, when afleitch put up an audio for us commenting on the contents of a thread a few years ago. Hopefully, if he comes to the US with his partner, his accent will not be unduly Americanized. That would be near tragic. Can be a bit impatient with homophobes, or folks insensitive about gay issues, etc.  

In sum, an all around horrible person. Cheers.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »

Strikes me as a very rational libertarian, but someone who probably worships the almighty invisible hand a bit too much. 
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:55:23 PM »

A great guy, despite his militant Atheism and love of the New York Rangers Tongue
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »

A nice youngin forum teen who has unfortunately turned lefty on us. Although some complain about the younger folk on here, I do give you props for actually having an interest in this stuff compared to others your age who seem to be militantly apathetic. As for your current left leaning, I am gonna go ahead and prescribe the following:

The Law by Frederic Bastiat
The Revolution by Ron Paul
Catch-22 (For no particular reason, just a funny book Tongue )

Apply these 2-3 times a day and get back to us in a week. Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »

I don't find too much to dislike at a personal level, though we've had several political spars on the IRC, because lol libertarians. Nice FB profile pic, though.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2013, 07:58:34 PM by oakvale »

Not a bad guy, and he's clearly, despite all indications to the contrary, quite bright, but he needs to lay off the attempts at humour. A smug attitude towards the, er, "hedonist cesspool" (Snowstalker, 2013), makes you come off like a condescending snob who's apparently opposed to people having fun. Or something. Nice guy really, but needs to stop trying to be funny forever and generally take a moment to think of how his words sound before he posts/speaks. The moral high ground is an awfully  precarious place when you're 17.

EDIT: Source for "he's clearly [...] bright": "I've met very few people who are more intelligent than me" - Snowstalker, Atlas Forum IRC, 2013.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »

Oakvale is a great fellow. He makes me smile, he works hard when he wants to, and he's someone I can rely on, which isn't something I can say about everyone. I'm glad he came back because frankly, The People are not the same without him, even though he did shoot Them in the foot by opposing Griffin4GM Wink
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »

EDIT: damnit Duke, I was posting before you had to ruin the flow! Tongue

I am quite confident in stating that he is one of the coolest, most "normal" posters on here (interpret that in whatever way you wish. Tongue ) Also, he has a fantastic sense of humor and he points out this forum's mixture of hilarity, absurdity, and WTF-did-I-just-read posts (and the posters who make them) all the time,whether they be Libertards, Serious People (TM), avowed Marxists, neo-Nazi a$$holes, or BRTD (who is in a category of his own). He doesn't take himself seriously (which is something that many, many posters here can work on-myself included! Tongue) yet he also seems like a really cool and genuinely nice person in general. As one of the IRC regulars, I feel like this forum would be worse off without him, and was honestly kinda bummed when he left for a while.

tl; dr oakvale is a total bro, and I think he's awesome! Purple heart
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »

Duke: (since someone refused to describe him)
Seems like an awesome dude who's probably successful in his real life. He's my boss in Atlasia as I believe I"m still employed at The Paper these days, and I can't say I've ever had an unpleasant day at that job. Nevertheless, I'm often confused as to why he maintains his Republican avatar, and occasionally it's something that bugs the heck out of me.

Prog Realist:
While I'd like to think the "Progressive" in his name refers to the style of rock that he likes, I fear it instead refers to his ideology. Given my name, I can't criticize someone for including ideology (or even religion!) in their username. There are few things that stand out specifically to him. Seems like a nice guy on the Irc, and we've had some chats. Of the things that stand out about him, one would have to be his annoyance with the labeling of Nixon as a liberal president. While undoubtedly a corrupt bastard, Nixon nevertheless enacted liberal domestic legislation. I'm also annoyed by people that spin Nixon as liberal, and those that say he's conservative and tend to think I'm the expert on good ol' Tricky Dick, so I'd naturally be annoyed with anyone asserting their expertise on the nation's 37th President. Nevertheless, he has good points on the issue. Also, I'd have to object to his refusal to describe Duke. I'm having to make up for it with the above paragraph.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »

Cathcon is a Catholic conservative who seems like a decent guy all-around. Maybe a bit too nationalistic or socially conservative (the Cath part Tongue) but overall not an offensive sort. I believe he's more active on the History boards and such, but he is God over in IP with his absolutely excellent (excluding, of course, the results, but that's not his fault) presidential elections, as decided by the forum - the definitive guide to how the forum would have voted. Really fascinating to track each election, and that is probably the #1 thing that stands out about him. Plus, he likes jazz mass.

So yeah: guy with awesome election series who's actually a pretty decent human being too.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 11:18:36 PM »

SJoyce seems okay to me. I've never had a cross word with him. I like that he's at least his libertarianism is less "blood pure" than most of his counterparts. One thing I usually notice about his posts is that unless they're dealing with fantasy elections\campaigns, timelines, etc. They tend to usually be fairly pithy statements. Short and to the point with whatever he seems to want to say. He's not bad.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »

Our paths don't path on this forum too often, but he seems alright. We disagree a lot I am sure, because I remember Dr. Cynic being a Humphrey style New Deal Democrat, while I am a paleoconservative.

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »

Good friend of mine, and one of the first I ever made on the forum. Has a slight tendency to overstate things and be a little ignorant, but he's a good kid all around. Good music taste, too Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »

Has a slight tendency to overstate things and be a little ignorant.
Slight? Try major tendency to overstate things and be ignorant Tongue.

-SKIP-
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 11:49:36 PM »

Okay, I'll post in here just to find out if anyone actually has an opinion of me anymore.  Tongue

20RP12:  Very likeable and caring young man, who seems to be in a perpetual identity crisis: Am I conservative or am I liberal?  Am I straight or am I gay, or something in between?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 01:05:01 AM »

Well, I've known Fritz on the forums for a LONG time... Maybe it seems longer than it has been in real time because forum time often moves slowly for me. Anyway, Fritz is a good guy. I was his SOIA in Atlasia and I did try hard to do right by him although we didn't communicate as often as I'd have liked to, but still, he did give me an office I tried to work in. Overall, I think he's an institution here. I don't see his posts all that often anymore.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »

Dr. Cynic gets lost amidst the crowd of generic progressive posters. The only distinguishing feature that sets him apart is his championing of left-liberal values over social democracy, which is a rarity on this forum.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »

Well, I've known Fritz on the forums for a LONG time... Maybe it seems longer than it has been in real time because forum time often moves slowly for me. Anyway, Fritz is a good guy. I was his SOIA in Atlasia and I did try hard to do right by him although we didn't communicate as often as I'd have liked to, but still, he did give me an office I tried to work in. Overall, I think he's an institution here. I don't see his posts all that often anymore.

Actually, I removed you when you gone missing, when I acted as President Tongue

*skip*
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »

I was actually thinking of starting a "constructively criticize the previous poster" thread, but this one seems better anyway!

Being perfectly honest, I haven't really talked with TheDeadFlagBlues at all so I don't have much to go by. He seems like a fine poster, though, but his politics seem too left for me.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 11:49:21 PM »

Miles has a touch too much of moderate heroism for my liking, but I suppose it's lucky to find a southern Democrat at all. I'm sure we profoundly disagree on most issues though.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 01:41:47 AM »

Very funny and knowledgeable, I had the best fun on this forum while playing with him and Mecha and nothing was that good after. Should dissapear less frequently.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 04:11:29 AM »

Kal is one of the best. Pretty normal, good guy but not afraid to call a spade a spade and has a fairly similar ideology to me.

Plus, I have a lot of respect for people that are here that 1. aren't American and 2. don't have English as their native tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies