Different Primary Schedule
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:16:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Different Primary Schedule
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Different Primary Schedule  (Read 1384 times)
PolitiJunkie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »

What if sweeping changes were made to the primary schedule between now and 2016, and the end result is that the primary schedule for both parties in 2016 is as follows?

How would this change the dynamics of the race? What sort of candidates would benefit from this change, and what sort would be harmed?

Note that the primaries occur every third Tuesday
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »

It radically diminishes the importance of New England and the northeast (hurting a more regional candidate). I think on the Republican side, it pushes for more libertarian candidates, due to the west being the second week. OTOH, with such a draw for California in the 2nd week, it might not matter too much (although, are there any Republicans there left? Tongue )

Regardless of party, CA could be the focus for early delegates, like how Florida is an important, big, early one. In fact, it might coalesce around establishment candidates getting wins in Illinois and California, which would hurt the overall process. I dunno though, there are many possibilities.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:59:39 PM »

On the republican side it'd help Walker and Paul.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »

Ooooh, I may steal this concept and do a TL of 2016 or 2020 with a radically different primary schedule. In my last TL I avoided the primaries, because so many TLs die during them, but I want to include them more next time
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »

Ooooh, I may steal this concept and do a TL of 2016 or 2020 with a radically different primary schedule. In my last TL I avoided the primaries, because so many TLs die during them, but I want to include them more next time

Which one of yours did you avoid the primaries in?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »

It would severely hurt the campaigns of candidates that start with little money or name recognition.  In the present system, they can focus on one or two early states, hope to build up name recognition there, and use a win in a small, early state to give them a burst of momentum.  In this system, you're competing in about 7 states at a time, so that becomes impossible.  Whoever starts out in the lead in money and name recognition would now have an even bigger advantage.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies