IDS Constitutional Change Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:24:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS Constitutional Change Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: IDS Constitutional Change Discussion Thread  (Read 2064 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:42:26 PM »

I thought it would be a good idea to create a general discussion platform for constitutional changes here (I kind of took the idea from Velasco, sorry about that). We can take all the input suggested here and make a big constitutional change bill in the legislature. I know a lot of people want the imperial style and names to be thrown out; what do we replace them with?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »

I think we should include a right to a job.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:47:41 PM »

"The People's Republic of the South"
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »

"The People's Republic of the South"
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2013, 05:32:07 AM by Emperor SJoyce »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article II

Article III

Article IV

Article V

Article IX

[/quote][/quote]

This is what I have for the non-sexy part of it - it doesn't deal with names nor constitutionally protected rights.

As for the names, if we really are scrapping the Imperial regalia (and at this point I'm not sure about that), then shouldn't we just go back to Governor/Speaker/Legislature/Magistrate/The South? Simplify things?

I think we should include a right to a job.

You mean a right to work? Tongue
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 11:31:32 PM »

Well I guess the left should co-opt that slogan, obviously you would go into a worksource or something and come out with at least a public job that pays at least minimum wage, enshrined in a constitution.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 12:09:01 AM »

I shall oppose any and all changes to the glorious Imperial aspects of our region, and I am also opposed to having an Eastern time zone oriented schedule. Angry
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »

I would strongly suggest that we restrict ourselves to dealing with game reform issues that may inhibit the proper function of our region's institutions. Co-opting this for whatever ideological quibbles that may exist runs the risk of derailing this important project.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »

I won't vote to strip our region of its imperial styles. They're just names, and I don't believe that the connotations of these terms are negative enough to do any harm to our region. In fact, I think they bolster our region's character. Part of the reason why I became a citizen of the IDS was because I thought the region was unique. I wouldn't underestimate how much of a draw these titles are to new members.

Like it or not, the imperial styles are a part of our culture. I don't want to see them go.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 12:52:57 AM »

They are NOT a part of our culture. They were forced on us by a rogue regime years ago. Free us from these chains. I can't believe we're still the imperial dominion or whatever.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 01:18:09 AM »

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »

I thought it would be a good idea to create a general discussion platform for constitutional changes here (I kind of took the idea from Velasco, sorry about that). 

It's fine. If I was the thread starter, some people would accuse me of being partisan.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »

They are NOT a part of our culture. They were forced on us by a rogue regime years ago. Free us from these chains. I can't believe we're still the imperial dominion or whatever.

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »

I think it's about time to start the discussion, article by article and in an orderly fashion. The Article I of our current Constitution treats on the Regional Executive Authority. Section 1 states:

Obviously the main and only controversy here is the title of our top regional authority and, given that the current detainer of the office, nowadays called "Emperor", didn't submit any proposal on this section, it would be nice to hear what citizens have to say. Former legislator Zanas proposed weeks ago, looking for some inspiration in the Republican Rome to find a distinctive name, calling the head of our executive branch "Prefect". Another option is coming back to the old and good "Governor" title. Perhaps you, fellow citizens, have some imaginative title to suggest. My very own suggestion is that we should open the debate, here and now.

As for Sections 2 and 3:

I wonder if  gubernatorial elections are still held on April, August and December. In other case, the mention is useless.

This section is obviously outdated, it should be removed.

Section 4 establishes the timeline of elections.

SJoyce wants to change Central Time for Eastern Time. I was neutral at first, but this map tells me that it's not a good idea:

As you can see, the bulk of our territory falls into the Central Time zone, including Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, part of Tennessee, Missisipi and Alabama. Besides, the current regional capital is located at Memphis, in the part of TN that falls in the CST zone.

I agree on making a specific mention to the 72-hour electoral period, for obvious reasons.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »

As for Sections 2 and 3:

I wonder if  gubernatorial elections are still held on April, August and December. In other case, the mention is useless.

This section is obviously outdated, it should be removed.

Yes, that is when elections happen. I do not see any problem with it, or with the ratification details - Article VII of the US Constitution wasn't removed.

SJoyce wants to change Central Time for Eastern Time. I was neutral at first, but this map tells me that it's not a good idea:
As you can see, the bulk of our territory falls into the Central Time zone, including Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, part of Tennessee, Missisipi and Alabama. Besides, the current regional capital is located at Memphis, in the part of TN that falls in the CST zone.

My rationale for that was, based on the current IDS population, we have 9 living on Central Time and 19 living on Eastern Time (the rest are in other time zones) If it becomes an issue later on we can change it, but right now it's easier for the majority if it's Eastern.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 06:23:12 PM »

I would very much like to see CARE come together and synchronize the regional elections schedule. It really is a mess if you're trying to organize a political party and schedule endorsements. I don't know if that will require us changing anything, but I'd urge Emperor SJoyce and the Legislature to discuss this further.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 06:03:44 AM »

I rather enjoy the usage of CST, since it's one of those things that makes the region different. The fact that our capital is in the Central Time Zone also helps with making that sort of call.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »

My rationale for that was, based on the current IDS population, we have 9 living on Central Time and 19 living on Eastern Time (the rest are in other time zones) If it becomes an issue later on we can change it, but right now it's easier for the majority if it's Eastern.

I guess you mean 19 people living on Eastern Time IRL. My time zone is the one of the Greenwich Meridian so, as you can imagine, I don't care too much if we use CST or Eastern Time. However, this is a game set in a fictional context, and according to it using CST makes more sense. On the other hand, there's only 1 hour of difference and people living in the Eastern zone have managed well to date. In the game context I live in CST, FTR.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 02:04:28 PM »

I guess you mean 19 people living on Eastern Time IRL. My time zone is the one of the Greenwich Meridian so, as you can imagine, I don't care too much if we use CST or Eastern Time. However, this is a game set in a fictional context, and according to it using CST makes more sense. On the other hand, there's only 1 hour of difference and people living in the Eastern zone have managed well to date. In the game context I live in CST, FTR.

Yeah, I was talking IRL. And sure, in our context it makes more sense to use CST, but it makes it easier for more people if we use EST. Not a change I'm really set on though.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »

My dear friends of the IDS, what I would respectfully suggest is that if you do opt to retain the imperial titles, in particular that of Emperor, is that the constitution contains the term

Emperor or Empress.

That way, the part of the constitution pertaining to the Chief Executive is non sexist and will have already provided for the appropriate title for a female Chief Executive, in the, admittedly unlikely, eventuality of the election of a female Chief Executive. 

Even though the election of a female Chief Executive is remote, given the seemingly low level of female participation on this forum, nevertheless, with this measure, the constitution becomes non sexist and would provide for that eventuality.

Thank you and best wishes in your constitutional deliberations.   
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 07:04:01 AM »

A bump to say that as for the names of our offices, the only solution I reject more than keeping the Imperial stuff is getting back to plain Governor et al.

This would make us common. Common is baaaaad.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 10:50:17 AM »

True fact Zanas, true fact. As the legislature has no more bills in the queue (we're scrapping the "annex mexico" thing) we're just about to discuss constitutional questions so IF THERE IS ANY TIME FOR A NAME CHANGE IT IS NOW. WE NEED IDEAS PEOPLE.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »

I think Winfield's idea about making the titles non-sexist should be considered, but other than that no changes to the naming scheme.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »

I think Winfield's idea about making the titles non-sexist should be considered, but other than that no changes to the naming scheme.

This is essentially my view.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »

A bump to say that as for the names of our offices, the only solution I reject more than keeping the Imperial stuff is getting back to plain Governor et al.

This would make us common. Common is baaaaad.

I rather like the Imperial stuff, but I do agree that we shouldn't just have the same offices as any other region. I wouldn't be too upset if we changed it to something else as long as it was still unique.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies