Illinois Redistricting Amendment Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:37:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Illinois Redistricting Amendment Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Illinois Redistricting Amendment Campaign  (Read 2102 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 04:17:40 AM »

Way to go Arkansas Democrats!  Grin
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »

A new initiative to put a constitutional amendment on the 2014 ballot was announced this week. It is somewhat similar to the CA process and the summary of the proposal with a link to the draft text is here.

The coalition is looking for comments before finalizing the language for the petitions. I know there are plenty of posters here who could bring some useful comments forward. I'd be happy to see that comments on the draft get to the coalition.

The language is way too vague for me. Also, I am down on the California system. I didn't like the way the auditors picked commission panelist finalists, and then the panelists were gamed, so the final map had some highly questionable elements. I prefer a more automated system to pick map candidates, and then let the pros dicker over them, using a strike mechanism, until the available map choices are reduced to one.
muon2
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »

A new initiative to put a constitutional amendment on the 2014 ballot was announced this week. It is somewhat similar to the CA process and the summary of the proposal with a link to the draft text is here.

The coalition is looking for comments before finalizing the language for the petitions. I know there are plenty of posters here who could bring some useful comments forward. I'd be happy to see that comments on the draft get to the coalition.

The language is way too vague for me. Also, I am down on the California system. I didn't like the way the auditors picked commission panelist finalists, and then the panelists were gamed, so the final map had some highly questionable elements. I prefer a more automated system to pick map candidates, and then let the pros dicker over them, using a strike mechanism, until the available map choices are reduced to one.

I agree with you, but the reality is that in IL there is so little trust of anyone connected with the political system that the proponents feel that the more layers of isolation there are the better their chances. I'm hoping for (and suggesting) more specificity on some criteria to ameliorate any negative impact from the commissioners.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies