Last State to ratify marriage equality.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:07:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Last State to ratify marriage equality.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Last State to ratify marriage equality.  (Read 3425 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:24:30 PM »

Barring Federal intervention, which state will be the last to recognize and legalize marriage equality? And When?

For me, I think it will be Oklahoma on or after the 2032 Presidential Elections.

The Mormons, from what I can tell, are evolving faster on the issue as a group so I don't think Utah will be the last state.  Plus, Utah is conservative, but it is not part of the vast right-wing conspiracy, as it were.

Mississippi had a surprising swing towards Obama in 2012, so that's out, IMO.

Arkansas still has some Democratic roots who friends with the Clintons, so scratch Arkansas.

Tennessee probably still has some who are friends with Al Gore, but I think they'll be a late state, but not in the final two.

Georgia has Atlanta.  Texas has Dallas and Houston.  Kansas is more sensibly conservative than Alabama or Oklahoma.

I think it will come down to Alabama and Oklahoma with Alabama going before Oklahoma.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »

Definitely agree with you in Utah, but I think Idaho would give OK a run for its money. For me, it's between those two. But I'm going to guess Oklahoma because it would be pretentious of me to say Idaho, having never actually visited the Potato State.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »

Assuming blacks get fully onboard within the next decade or so, I would say Utah or Idaho.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:33:14 PM »

Oklahoma, Utah or Idaho. Most likely one is Oklahoma.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 09:34:31 PM »

Alabama, Mississippi or Oklahoma.

But I'm pretty sure it will be nationalized in some way before they have a chance to.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:35:06 PM »

Utah.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 09:43:19 PM »

Mississippi.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »

If one thinks of ratification as being amending the State Constitution to strip out language no longer in force thanks to the Supreme Court. I'll guess Alabama sometime in the 23rd Century.  Without a Supreme Court ruling, Alabama might get to it sometime late this century, but more likely early in the 22nd.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 10:33:34 PM »

Assuming the SCOTUS lets all states decide for themselves and never revisits the issue, probably Mississippi.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 10:49:56 PM »

If blacks nearly universally support it by 2020 or so, it will only take 1/6th support from Mississippi's white population.  That shouldn't be a problem by 2020 or so.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 11:00:34 PM »

It'll be a small one. Idaho fits the bill. Heavily white male, and without any big urban centers to really push the issue.

I think it'll likely be nationalized, either by the Supreme Court or by consensus during a moderate Republican Admin. The Republicans would likely block it during a Dem administration, but the push of the public might work better under someone like Christie.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »

Alabama
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 01:20:51 AM »

It'll be a small one. Idaho fits the bill. Heavily white male, and without any big urban centers to really push the issue.

I think it'll likely be nationalized, either by the Supreme Court or by consensus during a moderate Republican Admin. The Republicans would likely block it during a Dem administration, but the push of the public might work better under someone like Christie.
I think Idaho is more likely to support it than Alabama(White & very southern), since North Idaho is pretty socially liberal & Boise is becoming "heavier" in the state.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 02:28:08 AM »

Oklahoma or Alabama no doubt.

As several have pointed out, mormons might be solidly Republican, (and I know prop 8 and stuff) but they're more educated than their evangilical brothers, and they like to not be too out of the mainstream. So Utah, WY, or Idaho will not be last. 
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 02:37:19 AM »

Mississippi.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 02:46:49 AM »

Not Wyoming. That alone makes me happy. Grin
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2013, 11:17:27 AM by TDAS04 »

Mississippi.  
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »

Mississippi, Alabama, or Oklahoma.

Mississippi had a surprising swing towards Obama in 2012, so that's out, IMO.

Assuming blacks get fully onboard within the next decade or so, I would say Utah or Idaho.

If blacks nearly universally support it by 2020 or so, it will only take 1/6th support from Mississippi's white population.  That shouldn't be a problem by 2020 or so.

This won't matter unless Dems can get control of the Miss. (or Ala.) legislature.

Southern black support for SSM will rise, and will be above Southern white support, though I doubt it will be near universal anytime soon.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »

Kansas, Oklahoma, Idaho, or Utah.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »

As several have pointed out, mormons might be solidly Republican, (and I know prop 8 and stuff) but they're more educated than their evangilical brothers, and they like to not be too out of the mainstream. So Utah, WY, or Idaho will not be last.  

This; there's already a small but growing group of Mormons pushing for gay rights (mostly nondiscrimination policies, but many want civil unions, and a few are even okay with same-sex marriage).

And don't forget that the largest city in the state is very gay-friendly and has been so for a decade.

Wyoming might actually be soon-ish, I hear, since there seems to be a libertarian trend over there.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »

My guess is that it'll long be legalized by the supreme court... and like 40 years down the road, some symbolic effort will be made by some deep south state to remove the amendment to the state constitution or from the statutes... and there'll be a string of conservatives who object, a la Ken Cuccinelli...

Southern constitutions do seem to be garbage bins full of all sorts of backwards crap that never gets taken out because it is somehow tradition that warrants keeping...
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »

Probably Oklahoma or Alabama. Mormons are slowly trending towards gay marriage.

If black voters start trending towards gay marriage, Mississippi could turn in the mid-to-late 2020s. But Alabama or Oklahoma aren't going to pass gay marriage any time soon.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »

This; there's already a small but growing group of Mormons pushing for gay rights (mostly nondiscrimination policies, but many want civil unions, and a few are even okay with same-sex marriage).

And don't forget that the largest city in the state is very gay-friendly and has been so for a decade.

Wyoming might actually be soon-ish, I hear, since there seems to be a libertarian trend over there.

I agree. Mormons seem to be pretty aware of their outsider status and like to stay in the mainstream in order to win over skeptics. However evangelical Christians, especially in the south, firmly believe that their faith is the right faith. If anybody accuses them of being outdated, then it's everyone else who has the problem. They'll dig their heels in when it comes to gay marriage unless a federal or state law forces them to deal with it.

So I'd say Utah legalizes it before a state like Alabama or Tennessee. However, they're all far from it.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »

Alabama, Mississippi or Oklahoma.

But I'm pretty sure it will be nationalized in some way before they have a chance to.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »

Mississippi only took 130 years to ratify the 13th amendment banning slavery.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies