Should minimum wage be variable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:52:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should minimum wage be variable?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should minimum wage be variable?  (Read 1034 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »

The fast-food workers thread had me thinking.  Should we adjust the minimum wage for impoverished areas?  Two points:

1. We already do this in a way.  Many cities in NJ have 3.5% sales tax rather than the typically 7%. 

2. I really don't think a suburban high school kid flipping burgers should be making $15.00/hour.  But an inner city father who does not have reliable transportation to a more affluent city, in an area where the economy has been poor for a long time and jobs are sparse?  I can justify that.

Just a thought and I'd like to hear your opinions.   
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »

There should be no minimum wage period. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »

Minimum Wage should be adjusted for inflation.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 07:57:05 PM »

2. I really don't think a suburban high school kid flipping burgers should be making $15.00/hour.  But an inner city father who does not have reliable transportation to a more affluent city, in an area where the economy has been poor for a long time and jobs are sparse?  I can justify that.

I sympathise with this idea, but I think it would lead to is fast food places discriminating against the people the legislation would be intended to help. Wage subsidies are a better way to go about this.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 07:59:04 PM »

If you make the minimum wage higher for adults than for high schoolers, nobody will hire adults.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »

The solution to this is not fiddling around with things like minimum wage but enacting a guaranteed basic income provided by the government.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »

If you make the minimum wage higher for adults than for high schoolers, nobody will hire adults.

It would be dependent on the home address of the person, not their age. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »

The solution to this is not fiddling around with things like minimum wage but enacting a guaranteed basic income provided by the government.

I think both should exist, with the minimum wage being higher than the guaranteed income so as to avoid unemployment traps.

But as for the question, no. There's no point in having a minimum wage if it's not universal.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »

I sympathise with this idea, but I think it would lead to is fast food places discriminating against the people the legislation would be intended to help. Wage subsidies are a better way to go about this.

Yeah, I really doubt anyone would bother hiring the inner-city father to perform entry-level unskilled labor when the high schooler is cheaper.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:58 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2013, 08:45:25 PM by Senator Napoleon »

The fast-food workers thread had me thinking.  Should we adjust the minimum wage for impoverished areas?  Two points:

1. We already do this in a way.  Many cities in NJ have 3.5% sales tax rather than the typically 7%. 

Just a thought and I'd like to hear your opinions.   

The problem is that you need prices to be lower in those impoverished areas or else you end up lowering the quality of life for more people than raising the minimum wage would lift the quality of life for. The ideal solution is to have a high minimum wage across-the-board. Why shouldn't a high school kid flipping burgers make a decent wage? I bet he works better than your average forty year old fast food worker, and the kid needs to save up for college and whatever else. One of the problems with America is that our system is literally designed for people to live paycheck to paycheck, and then everyone wants to scream about how the sky is falling when ever the economy goes kaput. I say pay the best wages to the best workers regardless of who we perceive to "need" it. That's what the safety net is for.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »

Minimum Wage should be adjusted for inflation.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »

I think both should exist, with the minimum wage being higher than the guaranteed income so as to avoid unemployment traps.

But as for the question, no. There's no point in having a minimum wage if it's not universal.

Most minimum-wage jobs aren't particularly mobile. I don't think location arbitrage would be an issue except with, say, a very small town with a higher minimum wage leading to businesses locating immediately on the town's outskirts (though the town could simply annex that surrounding area, depending on what the laws on that are).

If you're running a McDonald's and the minimum wage is lower 20 miles away, that doesn't matter. There's probably already a McDonald's in that area. People where you are aren't going to drive 20 miles to eat at McDonald's and vice versa. If the minimum wage was high enough to where you were losing money, you'd simply close. (Your workers would now be unemployed and getting zero dollars an hour, but you'd find some other investment venture).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »

Also, just an fyi: federal child labor laws prohibit anybody under 18 from going near anything hot or sharp or cold. All of those conditions are met in food service constantly. At 16, you can do cashier work and clean up and that's about it.  Most fast food workers are not high schoolers. They're poor adults.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »

How liberating!
Knives
solopop
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »

RAHAHA WORKERS DON'T DESERVE A LIVING INCOME!!!!

your country is so backward.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 09:57:47 PM »

Typical slave-owner mentality.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »

Our latest GOP hero with 50 or so posts does not represent us, sir. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 09:59:36 PM »

Why should employers bear the burden alone?  There are far better methods than minimum wage to provide for a living income.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 10:25:57 PM »

Why should employers bear the burden alone?

Because, generally speaking, "employers" are the people who reap the most benefits from modern economy, and asking them to give something back makes perfect sense if you're concerned about common good.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »

Why should employers bear the burden alone?  There are far better methods than minimum wage to provide for a living income.

So you're perfectly okay with Wal-Mart helping its employees fill out food stamp, HUD and Medicaid applications to supplement the inadequate wages they are being paid?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 10:34:32 PM »

Because, generally speaking, "employers" are the people who reap the most benefits from modern economy, and asking them to give something back makes perfect sense if you're concerned about common good.

Then tax them in other ways that don't discourage them from hiring people as the minimum wage does.  Economically, that's all the minimum wage is, a tax linked to a welfare benefit.  Of course, it has the advantage (from a politician's POV) of not showing up on the budget.

So you're perfectly okay with Wal-Mart helping its employees fill out food stamp, HUD and Medicaid applications to supplement the inadequate wages they are being paid?

Yup.  I'm not against there being a social safety net.  I just think that the minimum wage is not a particularly good net.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 12:01:20 AM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 01:36:18 AM »

Most minimum-wage jobs aren't particularly mobile. I don't think location arbitrage would be an issue except with, say, a very small town with a higher minimum wage leading to businesses locating immediately on the town's outskirts (though the town could simply annex that surrounding area, depending on what the laws on that are).

If you're running a McDonald's and the minimum wage is lower 20 miles away, that doesn't matter. There's probably already a McDonald's in that area. People where you are aren't going to drive 20 miles to eat at McDonald's and vice versa. If the minimum wage was high enough to where you were losing money, you'd simply close. (Your workers would now be unemployed and getting zero dollars an hour, but you'd find some other investment venture).

What if instead of 20 miles, the distance was across the street? And it was a couple of bucks higher on the one side than the other. Which side of the street would the McDonalds be on?

Clearly the side with the higher minimum wage.
http://www.kplu.org/post/why-wont-mcdonalds-move-20-feet-lower-wage-idaho#.UYqUOMk9BvU.twitter
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 01:56:01 AM »

I don't think it should be variable.  High school kids need money the same as a father trying to feed his family.  Like others have said, raising the minimum wage for the adults, but leaving it the same for the kids would result in more families losing their homes and living on the street or in shelters because no one can afford to hire the adults.  If the minimum wage is raised, wages should be raised across the board in minimum wage and non-minimum wage jobs.
Nichlemn

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »

But why should those who hire (and, given tax incidence, consume from) low wage workers be specifically those targeted? Why should a hedge fund manager contribute proportionately less to the social safety net?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies