Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 06:46:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"  (Read 174607 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 31, 2013, 02:36:13 PM »
« edited: May 31, 2013, 03:19:34 PM by Grumps »

Did you walk today?

Nevermind, I know the answer.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1576 on: May 31, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

Here we go.  We've got a PDS Tornado Watch for much of South Central, Central, North Central, and Northeastern Oklahoma.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1577 on: May 31, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »

Here we go.  We've got a PDS Tornado Watch for much of South Central, Central, North Central, and Northeastern Oklahoma.

None of us live there, or near, anywhere near.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1578 on: May 31, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »

Tornado watches also don't mean jack. Putting you under a heart attack watch would be much more meaningful.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1579 on: May 31, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »

Bushie, do your parents know that you wish to diet and lose weight?

they live in a part of the world that believe gays are a bigger threat to their well being than obesity. 
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1580 on: May 31, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »

Bushie, do your parents know that you wish to diet and lose weight?

False premise.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1581 on: May 31, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »

Tornado watches also don't mean jack. Putting you under a heart attack watch would be much more meaningful.

Thunderstorms are starting to fire.  With a watch of this caliber it is time for everybody in Central Oklahoma to pay attention.  We've already gone wall to wall.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1582 on: May 31, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »

i have a problem with the pds system and how it is arbitrarily used.

if one ef2 tornado hits downtown st. louis and is the only tornado touchdown in a particular watch box..isnt that more dangerous than multiple ef4 or highers that touch down over remote south dakota farmland?  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1583 on: May 31, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »

Laughing at posts in the Update while on the train platform is one of the highlights of my daily routine.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1584 on: May 31, 2013, 04:17:03 PM »

Few people find humor in the fact that they are morbidly obese.

A little humor never hurt anybody.  You should try it sometime!

I "try" humor all the time.  But you're being humorous about the wrong thing.  You're unhealthily overweight.  What exactly is funny about that?  Is the fact that you are fat really something to laugh about?  Would you like it if people laughed at your weight, or is it only ok when you do it?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1585 on: May 31, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »

So I guess the diet is officially over then. Oh well! Time to move on to a new story arc.

Just taking a one day hiatus.

But you really haven't actually ever started a true diet, have you?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1586 on: May 31, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »

if one ef2 tornado hits downtown st. louis and is the only tornado touchdown in a particular watch box..isnt that more dangerous than multiple ef4 or highers that touch down over remote south dakota farmland?  

It's all about statistics.  Although I can't think of a time that a PDS watch has been issued for South Dakota.

They're used when there is a significantly high chance of multiple strong tornadoes.  How is that "arbitrary"?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1587 on: May 31, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »

Doesn't he live in Oklahoma County then? It'd be exurban in that case, definitely not rural.

In terms of walkability, automobile-dependence, sustainability, and community coherence, living in a rural area is just as bad (and possibly worse) than living in a suburb or exurb.

Except for farmerss, retirees, and vacationers, there's really no reason for living in a rural area. Note that I am not referring to small towns, which are some of the most walkable and environmentally-friendly places around when they're fortunate enough to contain most of the amenities that their residents require (grocery stores, doctor's offices, libraries, restaurants, community buildings, parks, etc.)
This is much more true in the NE than in the rest of the country. Around here, there's usually an old decaying town square, centered around the county courthouse. Pretty much everything is centered around Wal-Mart which is located out on the periphery either at an interstate exit or on a US Highway bypass.  Suburbs often have extremely well maintained parks with baseball fields, tennis courts, bike paths or whatever. They have a lot more money to play with and people are more self conscious about their fitness level and diet.

I think this is the story for most of the country other than the far west, where they don't even have the town square. Commercial strips are obviously awful from an urbanist's point of view, because much of the money that once went toward the now-decaying central business district funnels toward the warehouses surrounded by acres of parking lot on the outskirts of town.

The move toward automobile-dependence over the last half century has destroyed most town squares, many of which are now among the most neglected communities of their respective cities, so the situation that I describe is the exception. An intact town square is usually the mark of a community that for one reason or another still contains pedestrians with money (college towns, tourist-oriented areas, etc.).
All the suburbs around here have kept and maintained their old towns from when they were distinct towns, usually along  a railroad lines. They're very nice with boutiques and mom and pop restaurants, much nicer than I'm sure they were when they constituted the heart of a sleepy backwater town.  Collierville's, in particular, is ridiculously adorable, especially at Christmastime. But it's a small fraction of the town's commerce, as they also have a mall, a WalMart, a Target, and all the rest. The only nice true small town I can think of in my area is Oxford, MS, which has to be the prettiest college town ever. But even there, they have the ugly, if more practical, modern section too.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1588 on: May 31, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »

It's all about statistics.  Although I can't think of a time that a PDS watch has been issued for South Dakota.

They're used when there is a significantly high chance of multiple strong tornadoes.  How is that "arbitrary"?

as far as i know a pds is left to the discretion of the forecaster.  that is arbitrary.

i understand the point of the pds, but there are flaws.

if a tornado is heading straight to you, that is a particularly dangerous situation.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1589 on: May 31, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »

So I guess the diet is officially over then. Oh well! Time to move on to a new story arc.

Just taking a one day hiatus.

You can't take a break from something that you haven't started. You've yet to eat a single healthy meal in the week you've been dieting.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1590 on: May 31, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »

Thunderstorms are starting to fire.  With a watch of this caliber it is time for everybody in Central Oklahoma to pay attention.  We've already gone wall to wall.

You should probably be more concerned with your arterial walls collapsing, Rev.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1591 on: May 31, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »

It'll be interesting to see what kills Bushie first: a tornado or heart attack.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1592 on: May 31, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »

with the latest severe wx outbreak, bushie's 'diet' has been suspended until further notice.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1593 on: May 31, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »

with the latest severe wx outbreak, bushie's 'diet' has been suspended until further notice.

Good.  He'll be going back to 3 sloppy joes instead of 4.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1594 on: May 31, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2013, 06:12:04 PM by Badger »

No one on fb gives a f**k about your warnings.  That's why you have no likes or comments.  You get a boner talking about it though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1595 on: May 31, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »

All the suburbs around here have kept and maintained their old towns from when they were distinct towns, usually along  a railroad lines. They're very nice with boutiques and mom and pop restaurants, much nicer than I'm sure they were when they constituted the heart of a sleepy backwater town.  Collierville's, in particular, is ridiculously adorable, especially at Christmastime. But it's a small fraction of the town's commerce, as they also have a mall, a WalMart, a Target, and all the rest. The only nice true small town I can think of in my area is Oxford, MS, which has to be the prettiest college town ever. But even there, they have the ugly, if more practical, modern section too.

Ah, are you talking about old-school streetcar suburbs? Those are some of my favorites. Each of the major cities in Upstate NY has a corridor similar to what you describe.
Not at all. Streetcar suburbia is today's Midtown Memphis, which is where the liberal/artsy/gay/hipster/whatever people live. All of our suburban municipalities (Bartlett, Germantown, and Collierville are the only sizable ones in Shelby County, though Arlington is catching up quickly) are distant and overwhelmingly post WWII conservative Christian with good public schools, two car garages, and large lawn type places. I'm sure you know what I mean. But all four of the above towns actually date back to the 19th century, when they were small little stops along long distance train lines, and, as such, have a very small core of just a few blocks that they keep prettied up just for funsies.
Most of Collierville looks like this

Except for the small,but well maintained town square
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1596 on: May 31, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »

I'm home from the shelter.  A funnel cloud lifted directly overhead, but it didn't touchdown.  The yard is flooded, but the trailer is okay and we do have power.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1597 on: May 31, 2013, 10:00:22 PM »

No one on fb gives a fuck about your warnings.  That's why you have no likes or comments.  You get a boner talking about it though.

You mad, bro?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1598 on: May 31, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »

No one on fb gives a fuck about your warnings.  That's why you have no likes or comments.  You get a boner talking about it though.

You mad, bro?
Glad you're ok, but Gramps is right. Your warnings don't serve any practical purpose. You're just playing pretend weatherman, which isn't the worst thing in the world.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1599 on: May 31, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »

You mad, bro?
Glad you're ok, but Gramps is right. Your warnings don't serve any practical purpose. You're just playing pretend weatherman, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

They do serve a purpose.  My high school friend also has a blog of severe weather that she updates.  Together, our blogs serve as another source of severe weather information for most of the state.  I told everybody that I wouldn't post anything on my main wall unless it was directly threatening Oklahoma County, and I kept my promise.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies