Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:24:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"  (Read 173877 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »

Bushie, lipo isn't for severe obesity.

True, I'm really not considering either, I know I can do it if I put my mind to it.  Unless things get real desperate, which I don't consider it now, then I might think about it.  I'm not sure if gastric bypass is something the Indian Doctors do anyway.  I don't have insurance for civilian medicine.
You'll have it soon. You have to buy it in 2014. But insurance companies generally make you prove you've made a serious effort before they'll pay.

FWIW, I understand the penalty for not having insurance in 2014 is only $98. Obviously it'll increase the next couple years, but it looks like 2014 is more of a "test run" of the mandate, getting it in place and all. The penalty is far too minor to be a major motivator.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »

True, I'm really not considering either, I know I can do it if I put my mind to it.  Unless things get real desperate, which I don't consider it now, then I might think about it.  I'm not sure if gastric bypass is something the Indian Doctors do anyway.  I don't have insurance for civilian medicine.
You'll have it soon. You have to buy it in 2014. But insurance companies generally make you prove you've made a serious effort before they'll pay.

FWIW, I understand the penalty for not having insurance in 2014 is only $98. Obviously it'll increase the next couple years, but it looks like 2014 is more of a "test run" of the mandate, getting it in place and all. The penalty is far too minor to be a major motivator.

A $100 fine, even in my situation, is a much easier pill to swallow than premiums that would probably be $400-$500 a month (I'm just guessing) that I would have to fight tooth and nail for them to pay for anything.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »

A $100 fine, even in my situation, is a much easier pill to swallow than premiums that would probably be $400-$500 a month (I'm just guessing) that I would have to fight tooth and nail for them to pay for anything.

uh.  bushie?  do you understand the point of insurance?

it is someone in your situation that *needs* insurance.  what would happen if you had to spend just one night in the hospital?  granny's bank account would take a big hit.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #203 on: May 09, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »

uh.  bushie?  do you understand the point of insurance?

it is someone in your situation that *needs* insurance.  what would happen if you had to spend just one night in the hospital?  granny's bank account would take a big hit.

I don't know if you already knew this, but Bushie currently gets free medical care from the local Indian community, on account of his own deep (1/32) heritage.

Indian communities are notoriously wealthy in resources, so it's all okay.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #204 on: May 09, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »

Bushie's insurance will be extremely subsidized because he has no income. He'd get Medicaid if Oklahoma would just cooperate and stop being a troll state.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #205 on: May 09, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »

I'd be rather surprised with someone at Bushie's age having to pay $400-500 a month even with his weight and all...I could get a ~$100 a month plan easily. Not necessarily a great plan mind you, but still something Bushie would need. Hell my employer offered a plan for only about $30 a paycheck. Far from the best one they offered, but way better than nothing. I still didn't take it (though I have accident and critical illness insurance) and am still debating on paying the $98 fine or getting insurance in 2014. It comes down to how much the insurance would cost and what type of subsidies I'd get. But Bushie? Oh yeah he needs it.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2013, 11:27:25 PM »

I am not a Bushie thread regular and I'm not familiar with his history. But indulge my naive urge to try and lend a helping hand with your weight issues.

From what I've read weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. If you don't have your diet under control, a short walk every day isn't going to affect you too much (but it is good). I am trying to get my weight under control at the moment as well, as I've gained back much of what I lost in previous years due to a lack of self control and complacency. I'm a bit obsessive about it, actually, so I just thought I'd share some ideas you may not have heard:

Diet:
- Small portions are key, and good nutrition is key. If you are not getting the proper nutrients, your body will tell you that you are still hungry. Don't focus on Christmas, focus on vegetables.

- Don't drink sugary drinks (including juice), but water. If you feel like juice, have a bit of fruit and eat the peal as that is the most nutritional part (except for obvious things like orange and banana peels, because duh). This is easy for me because I love water. Nothing satisfies like water.

- In fact, a lot of the time when you feel hungry, you're just thirsty. Have some water. Or, have tea or coffee without cream or sugar. Wait. Hunger is a temporary sensation that passes. It is the feeling of your body raiding fat stores. Hunger is healthy.

- Make easy substitutes. If you get fast food, get something grilled instead of fried if possible. Don't eat the fries.

- Look at the nutritional content before you eat something. Look at the fat. Look at the sugar. Look at the sodium. Look at the calories. Look at the numbers and know that you are going to absorb it and it will become a part of you.

- Eat slowly and deliberately. When you stop feeling hungry, stop eating. Don't eat until you feel full. You know that really full feeling you get after a big meal? Personally, I find it pretty disgusting. Aim to feel satisfied, not full.

- There are some very interesting studies going on right now with diets. The one that's grabbed me I saw in a documentary. Basically, it's fasting for either four entire days every month, or eating only once every other day. On the days you aren't fasting, you're basically allowed to eat anything you want. For example: yesterday, I did not eat anything until dinner. Today, I am eating whatever the hell I want. Tomorrow, I will not eat anything until dinner. This short, controlled period of fasting forces your body to do all kinds of very healthy things - use fat for energy, help mediate sugar and insulin levels, etc. Fasting you'll recognise as a fairly common spiritual tool to help yourself focus and make a symbolic sacrifice. Perhaps on a fasting day, you could meditate and pray to God for guidance, or whatever floats your boat.

EXERCISE:
- Strength training is more important than cardio. Strength training builds lean muscle, which takes a lot of energy for your body to accomplish. This means that if you do strength exercises your body will continue to burn extra calories in the following days. It is brilliant for losing weight.

- Cardio is great for heart and lung function. The key to cardio is to increase your heart rate to its maximum level and sustain it there for a while - say 10 minutes as a start. Walking is an excellent exercise, don't get me wrong, but you need to be walking at a high pace for an extended period of time. Personally I went to a garage sale and nabbed an old stationary bicycle for five bucks. I set it up in front of the television or computer and ride for about an hour every couple of days while I watch stuff.

- A dorky thing I do is started a bank. Whenever I exercise, I chuck a coin in it. As I continue to exercise I will earn more money, and when the bank is full I will cash it in and buy myself something as a reward. Then, I'll start back over.

I just threw a lot of information in your face, I know. Walking is good - keep walking. But if you don't change your eating habits the walking isn't going to do much good. Make a plan and stick with it. Don't beat yourself up when you screw up, either, just try. God hates sloth.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2013, 11:34:30 PM »

Yes, Tik, Bushie is planning to do all of that starting next week provided nothing important or stressful like his favorite TV show being on or a family member calling him on the phone comes up.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »

Thanks, Tik!  I really like the idea of the fasting every other day or eating once during one day and whatever I want the second, once on the third, whatever on the fourth, etc.

Eventually, I may get me a gym membership, as much as I hate the idea of paying for a gym membership, somethings you just have to bite the bullet on.

As far as exercise, I want to start with walking, but I eventually want to work my way up to strength training.  I'm not interested in getting into marathon condition, but I do want to be able to walk more than 2 miles without nearly hyperventilating.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:35 AM »

You should find an exercise buddy at church. I'm sure there are plenty of people there that need to lose weight (because, let's be honest, it's Oklahoma). Just having someone to talk to while you walk around the park for an hour is good (plus then you'll be forced to do it, because you set a date with another person).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: May 10, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »

I've got the church bulletin finished for Sunday Morning, so now it is time to get some sleep.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:16 AM »

You should find an exercise buddy at church. I'm sure there are plenty of people there that need to lose weight (because, let's be honest, it's Oklahoma). Just having someone to talk to while you walk around the park for an hour is good (plus then you'll be forced to do it, because you set a date with another person).

A workout buddy would be ideal.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #212 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:37 AM »

No worries, Bushie. What King said is important about your history, though. Changing your habits takes a lot of mental energy. Your brain is wired to take the path of least resistance, which is continuing bad habits. If you actually make a gradual change and are persistent, it doesn't take a terribly long time for it to become normal (say, 30 to 45 days). But your own psyche will challenge you constantly, and it will be exhausting. One of the weirdest things about brain chemistry is the idea that even considering the fantasy of making a change releases reward chemicals in your brain. Because indulging in the fantasy makes you feel happy and fulfilled, you're never driven to do the things that actually make you feel happy and fulfilled (making the change). This is where you get the stereotype of the fat guy sitting on the sofa, cheeto dust in his beard, really getting excited about the Total Gym ad on the television. He feels so excited about making the change and admiring his potential future that he loses motivation to actually do it. Your brain is conspiring against you.

That rambling out of the way, here is the doco I saw that made me interested in fasting. The host is a bit of a dill, but I found it very compelling: Eat, Fast, and Live Longer.

Here's another doco by the same guy about the benefits of exercise. Not everyone reacts to exercise in the same ways, but there are exciting new methods that are easier and beneficial for many people: The Truth About Exercise.

These are just doco's. You should probably consult a doctor and find some support otherwise to keep you on track.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #213 on: May 10, 2013, 01:07:16 AM »

I read a study once that you can fast for two days and then eat on the third, rinse and repeat, because it takes your body three days to shut down your metabolism, and once it does that, of course, anything you eat will be stored as fat.

Bushie will never lose weight until he gets his diet under control, and frankly, I don't think he nor his parents even have the foggiest idea how to eat properly. Between the burgers, the roasts, the enchilada casseroles, and multitude of desserts, I just cannot see how it's even possible he will change. That's no offense to him. It will just take tremendous curiosity and discipline, neither of what he has, to make such a change.

You're essentially telling him to change all he's ever known. His whole culture it tailored towards obesity and country living. It's a concept foreign to many of us.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10:28 AM »

I am, I know. But I understand his lifestyle, too. I was overweight growing up and both of my parents were morbidly obese. My mother's parents passed on her Arkansas cooking, and we loved big hearty meals. And during a few moving/renovation times we got in the habit of having lots of takeaway. I was always the fattest in my circle of friends.

What changed for me is kind of a long story. I lost a -lot- of weight in my early twenties because I got and stuck with a physically demanding job while also changed my attitude towards food. I kept it off for a long time, but then I got lazy and complacent and it returned. But yes, my situation involved a complete lifestyle change. Not overnight, but in increments.

Speaking of which, getting a manual labour job is basically getting paid to go to the gym. I highly recommend it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #215 on: May 10, 2013, 06:58:18 AM »

One of the biggest developments of season 7 is that Bushie is aware of how awful he can be, yet instead of repenting, he is telling Inks "yeah, I'm bad, tough sh*t!"

I fully expect he will find a lady now and become a pimp by the end of the season.

Oh I'm so excited by this!  Its like Breaking Bad!!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #216 on: May 10, 2013, 07:00:12 AM »

opebo what is your flow chart getting at?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #217 on: May 10, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »

BushKenya is becoming an architect? Don't you need to study a whole lot and hold a sh**tload of degrees in engineering and so forth to be able to draw buildings? I'm not sure I'd even step foot in a building designed by BushKenya.

There is no need to hold an engineer degree to become an architect. Building/construction engineering is a related but different field.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »

BushKenya is becoming an architect? Don't you need to study a whole lot and hold a sh**tload of degrees in engineering and so forth to be able to draw buildings? I'm not sure I'd even step foot in a building designed by BushKenya.

There is no need to hold an engineer degree to become an architect. Building/construction engineering is a related but different field.

What about Hash's last sentence?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: May 10, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »

I am going to start the every other day fasting diet (kinda) today that Tik mentioned.  I am not going to eat anything today until supper tonight.  I may have a small snack for lunch, but nothing more than a couple slices of toast, if that.  Tomorrow, I'm going to eat an early dinner, and again maybe a light snack for lunch.  Sunday, my big meal will be at lunch, with maybe an ice cream cone for supper.  Monday and Tuesday, my big meal will be at dinner with maybe a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch.  The big meals both days will be spaghetti on Monday and maybe some slow cooked roast Tuesday.  Wednesday is just a couple very light meals all day, nothing major.  I'm not sure about Thursday, yet, but probably light and Friday nothing really until a big dinner - Enchilada Casserole.  Next Saturday, we'll have Hoagie Sandwiches for dinner.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #220 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2013, 10:54:08 AM by Veep Duke »

Carbs are your enemy. Seriously. It spikes your insuline which tells your body to store fat. Snack on something else like nuts or other protein.

This is my point. All of Bushie's meals revolve around carbs - bread, fat,sugar, etc.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »

Good Friday Afternoon!  I've got a pretty good size headache, but its probably from not eating much.  Since I have overeaten way too much the past two days, I haven't had anything so far today.  I will have supper in about 2 hours at 17:00, though, so I'll be alright.  Tonight, I plan on watching some baseball on MLB Network at 19:00 either the Yankees vs. Royals or Angels vs. White Sox.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:48 PM »

Good Friday Afternoon!  I've got a pretty good size headache, but its probably from not eating much.  Since I have overeaten way too much the past two days, I haven't had anything so far today.  I will have supper in about 2 hours at 17:00, though, so I'll be alright.  Tonight, I plan on watching some baseball on MLB Network at 19:00 either the Yankees vs. Royals or Angels vs. White Sox.

I doubt its from not eating. You may be dehydrated or something. Likely not because you haven't eaten enough.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: May 10, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »

I doubt its from not eating. You may be dehydrated or something. Likely not because you haven't eaten enough.

That's probably accurate.  I took a migraine pill about an hour ago and I'll be eating dinner within the next hour.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #224 on: May 10, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »

opebo what is your flow chart getting at?

Oh that flow chart was purportedly about 'human trafficking', but I just put it there because it was amusing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies