Begich to introduce Social Security changes w/o age raise or benefits cut
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:22:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Begich to introduce Social Security changes w/o age raise or benefits cut
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Begich to introduce Social Security changes w/o age raise or benefits cut  (Read 873 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alaska Public

So, what do the experts here think of this?  This sounds far better than what Obama's proposed, but at the same time it looks like the wealthiest would get the better end of the deal, since those who pay more into the system would get more benefits.  At the same time, it says Social Security would pay proportionally larger benefits to low- and middle-income retirees, so how does this balance out if wealthier individuals contribute a greater share of their income?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »

Judging purely from what you've posted here, this looks like a hell of a lot better plan for Social Security than anything that's been proposed so far in the last several years, so good for Begich.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »

I don't like it. I don't like having a higher tax on earned income than unearned income, and lifting the cap is just an income tax, that has nothing to do with the benefits received. If you want to have general revenues subsidize SS, just do it by raising income taxes in general on a progressive basis.

A cost of living adjustment that gets into the cost of medical care, when most of it is subsidized for elderly, seems a mistake too. I prefer the chained CPI fix, counting as taxable income a higher percentage of the benefits, and maybe cutting them back on a means tested basis if necessary to make the program solvent.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »

Judging purely from what you've posted here, this looks like a hell of a lot better plan for Social Security than anything that's been proposed so far in the last several years, so good for Begich.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »

Sounds great.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »

Not bad...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 11:45:46 AM »

I don't like it. I don't like having a higher tax on earned income than unearned income, and lifting the cap is just an income tax, that has nothing to do with the benefits received. If you want to have general revenues subsidize SS, just do it by raising income taxes in general on a progressive basis.

A cost of living adjustment that gets into the cost of medical care, when most of it is subsidized for elderly, seems a mistake too. I prefer the chained CPI fix, counting as taxable income a higher percentage of the benefits, and maybe cutting them back on a means tested basis if necessary to make the program solvent.

What Torie said. This is basically a back door way to raise wages on the upper middle class without touching the super rich.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »

Eliminating SSWB and instituting a CPI-E more or less balance each other out.

Doesn't seem like it fixes anything besides Begich's reelection campaign.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »

Sign me up. 
Benj

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »

Apparently under Begich's plan the cap on benefits would also be removed (If I'm reading it correctly?). So the pay-in is still vaguely tied to benefits, though I'm not sure what value removing the cap adds if the cap on benefits is eliminated.

Agree that focusing on taxing earned income is problematic, though.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »

So no one knows the answer to my question? Tongue
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »

Apparently under Begich's plan the cap on benefits would also be removed (If I'm reading it correctly?). So the pay-in is still vaguely tied to benefits, though I'm not sure what value removing the cap adds if the cap on benefits is eliminated.

Agree that focusing on taxing earned income is problematic, though.

So if one makes 10 million a year, for 30 years, you get 25K a month in benefits or something when you retire?  Makes sense to me!  Tongue  And what is this supposed to accomplish?  Just masking what is effectively an income tax with a blizzard of money moving out of one pocket and into your other pocket over time, so you need an economist facile with present value calculations to figure out the effective tax rate? 
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 07:59:08 PM »

The best solution would simply be to eliminate the cap on the tax base, but continue to cap benefits at the level of someone who made $115,000 a year(indexed to inflation each year of course).  This would eliminate any shortfall in the system indefenately.

And in response to the Republican mantra that people should control their own retirement, Democrats should simply offer a separate, stand alone system much like the Thrift Savings Accounts to everybody to give people more chance to save for retirement.  And if Republicans being up the whole "more government" argument here, then Democrats should simply ask them "so you don't think the American people are good enough to get what members of Congress and federal workers get"?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »

What a major stud.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies