1988 United States Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:42:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1988 United States Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Feelin' kinda sleepy.
President Birch E. Bayh, Jr. (Democrat-Indiana)/Vice President Mario Cuomo (Democrat-New York)

Congressman Jack F. Kemp (Republican-New York)/Former Governor Pierre S. "Pete" du Pont, IV (Republican-Delaware)

Former Congressman Ronald E. "Ron" Paul (Libertarian-Texas)/Former AK State Representative Andre Marrou (Libertarian-Nevada)

Activist Leonora Fulani (New Alliance-Pennsylvania)/Various

Activist David Duke (Populist-Louisiana)/Dr. Floyd Parker (Populist-New Mexico)

Former Senator Eugene McCarthy (Consumer/Progressive-Minnesota)/Various

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: 1988 United States Presidential Election  (Read 8433 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:58 PM »

Can we please not 'plan' presidencies, it makes it awfully boring.

Derp.

Also this

Did you not, on IRC, tell me that you voted unpledged '64 so the Republicans would get the blame for Vietnam and we could elect McGovern '68? That seems planned to me.

Also, Birch is 0.6 points below the lowest percentage of the popular vote with which a person won: Margaret Chase Smith '64 with 40.3%.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2013, 04:08:03 PM by Cathcon »

Derp.

Also this

Did you not, on IRC, tell me that you voted unpledged '64 so the Republicans would get the blame for Vietnam and we could elect McGovern '68? That seems planned to me.

Also, Birch is 0.6 points below the lowest percentage of the popular vote with which a person won: Margaret Chase Smith '64 with 40.3%.

I recall TR getting a ridiculously low percentage in 1916.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2013, 03:59:33 PM »

Victory! Cheesy

6 wins and counting. Smiley
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »

Derp.

Also this

I recall TR getting a ridiculously low percentage in 1916.

As a matter of fact, you are right, Mr. God. He got 35.8%.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2013, 06:30:11 PM »

Damn, we almost did it. Don't worry guys, next year!
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »

When me and Lief are on the same side, something has gone horribly wrong... Tongue
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »

When me and Lief are on the same side, something has gone horribly wrong... Tongue

Ssssh. Don't ruin it! Wink
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2013, 06:52:06 PM »

Damn, we almost did it. Don't worry guys, next year!

So you're actively campaigning for the Republicans now? Tell me, how and why is the Democratic Party racist and corrupt?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »

-Continued exclusion of black and female candidates from the presidential ticket
-Thirty years or so of one party rule, undoubtedly leading to massive and pervasive corruption and bureaucratic sclerosis
-Right-wing presidents working with Republicans to pass right-wing legislation
-A sputtering economy that the Democrats have been unable to turn around
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »

-Continued exclusion of black and female candidates from the presidential ticket
-Thirty years or so of one party rule, undoubtedly leading to massive and pervasive corruption and bureaucratic sclerosis
-Right-wing presidents working with Republicans to pass right-wing legislation
-A sputtering economy that the Democrats have been unable to turn around

1) That exists on the Republican side. And don't say we "continually exclude them" when Chisholm almost beat Church (and in fact SERVED AS VICE-PRESIDENT) and Jackson almost beat Bayh. You can't say the Democratic Party is racist and sexist when black and female candidates continue to do so well. Is the RL Democratic Party sexist because Hillary Clinton wasn't nominated in '08? Were they racist because they too never nominated Jackson or Chisholm?

2) Oh, so you're just assuming that. What about the 1900-1920 hegemony? Were Fighting Bob and TR and George Norris corrupt?

3) How are Church and Bayh right-wing? What right-wing legislation have they passed? They were responsible for "a number of tax increases that took place from 1974 to the present [1984]", in fact.

4) Really? Actually, "Vice President Bayh is Church's successor and represents the economic recovery of the early-to-mid eighties", and God Himself referred to the stock market crash of 1987 as "well-handled". In addition, we live in a boom-and-bust cycle in Atlamerica, and the '90s boom is just around the corner.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

"Well handled" meaning, that like OTL, the stock market was shut down immediately (or whenever. Who reads these days?). But whatever. I write these rationalizing that regardless of actual policies, there are bound to be ups & downs, and if I made too many downs, some agitators would call me biased and try to rewrite history.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »

Also, I know that the vast majority of you don't care how I actually make the economy, & only bring it up to support whatever is convenient for the election. However, it's looking like two of you actually care...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »

Also, I know that the vast majority of you don't care how I actually make the economy, & only bring it up to support whatever is convenient for the election. However, it's looking like two of you actually care...

Here comes partisan bias... Roll Eyes
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »

The 1988 United States Presidential Election
In what basically constituted a rematch of the same election that took place four years prior, President Bayh was re-elected by a smaller margin in both the popular and electoral vote. While some speculated throughout the campaign that with a strong third party presence the race might go to the House, the lack of unity among the various other parties, along with the margin between Bayh and Kemp, put a stop to that. Coming in 7% ahead of his opponent and with only one third party breaking into the electoral vote, Bayh was re-elected, albeit without mandate. Republicans, which had seen 1988 as their chance to finally break the Democratic hold on power, would blame Paul and Duke for the splitting of the center-right vote. Democrats, for their part, would have little love for McCarthy and Fulani who had managed to turn a decent sized victory into such a draw. Nevertheless, the Democrats won and were determined to turn their <40% mandate as a right to govern.

President Birch E. Bayh, Jr. (Democrat-Indiana)/Vice President Mario Cuomo (Democrat-New York) 356 electoral votes, 39.7% of the popular vote
Congressman Jack F. Kemp (Republican-New York)/Former Governor Pierre S. "Pete" du Pont, IV (Republican-Delaware) 179 electoral votes, 32.9% of the popular vote
Former Congressman Ronald E. "Ron" Paul (Libertarian-Texas)/Former AK State Representative Andre Marrou (Libertarian-Nevada) 3 electoral votes, 12.3% of the popular vote
Former Senator Eugene McCarthy (Consumer/Progressive-Minnesota)/Various 0 electoral votes, 9.6%
Activist Leonora Fulani (New Alliance-Pennsylvania)/Various 4.1% of the popular vote
Activist David Duke (Populist-Louisiana)/Dr. Floyd Parker (Populist-New Mexico)0 electoral votes, 1.4% of the popular vote
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »

Whoa. I just realized that Paul and Duke combined got the same percentage as McCarthy and Fulani combined - 13.7%.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies