Office of Chairman TNF: Red Army takes NM, UT, ID, AZ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:08:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Chairman TNF: Red Army takes NM, UT, ID, AZ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 35
Author Topic: Office of Chairman TNF: Red Army takes NM, UT, ID, AZ  (Read 71857 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2013, 11:06:53 PM »

The People's Office Open for Business!
Sen. TNF takes questions from the public prior to his swearing in for a second term of office

Nyman, DC - Brothers and sisters, it's nice to see you all here in our capital. Today I am re-christening my office in anticipation of my swearing in for a second term as the Regional Senator for the Midwest and will also be taking a few questions from the public and from the press. By all means, if you've anything to ask or complain about, or would like for me to introduce legislation on your behalf (I am your Senator after all, Midwesterners!), please tell me so in this thread or via PM. I'll do my best to answer all questions asked.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »

What's your agenda for your next session?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »

What's your agenda for your next session?

Dignity for those who work:
There are a number of bills that are in the queue and will likely make it into the 58th, rather than the 57th, Senate that fall into this category. The principle aim here is to increase the bargaining power of workers and stop the armed robbery of working people by the wealthy and well to do by making unions stronger, giving workers more of a voice on the job, and ending some of the exclusionary policies that keep certain workers from that kind of protection. Case in point: the 57th Senate is currently considering the Sex Work Act of 2013 and the Fair Labor Standards Act of 2013, both of which I assume will drag on into the 58th Senate.  Other pieces of legislation to further these ends include the "You Can't Fire Me, I Quit!" Act, a second go at the Amendment to The Productivity Equalization and Worker Employment Act of 2011 (which failed the 56th Senate as I recall), the Abolition of Conscription Amendment (once and for all ending forced labor), the Employer Non-Interference, Collective Bargaining Modernization, and Co-determination acts. I will also likely be introducing comprehensive legislation to reform Atlasian immigration and trade policies in the next Senate session, so stay tuned for that, as well as some rudimentary worker ownership bills.

Peace and goodwill toward men and women abroad:
This part of my agenda concerns Atlasian foreign policy. Although I have been largely known as a domestic policy voice, I have increasingly come to view the foreign policy realm as equally important and equally worth my attention, and as such have introduced a number of bills to rein in the imperialistic character of Atlasian foreign policy. The Actual End to Imperialism Act seems to be sailing through the Senate, something of which I am proud and something I can say will definitely be a positive shift in Atlasian foreign relations. I have introduced legislation to abolish conscription, force a referendum when force may be used by the Republic of Atlasia (if war is right, let the people declare it!), and plan on introducing a comprehensive Anti-Apartheid bill to hold Israel accountable for it's actions in the West Bank.

Criminal Justice reform:
I have long been an advocate for prison reform and criminal justice reform and this upcoming session is no different in that regard. I am disappointed that the President has sent back to the Senate what I view as an unacceptable redraft of a very progressive bill, the Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013. I am open to working with the President on altering the text of the bill, but I must reiterate that I will settle for no less than decriminalization of hard drug use. I am in favor of legalization, but that seems like it is, for the time being, off the table in spite of the Senate passing the original bill, which did just that. I have also introduced legislation that will abolish life imprisonment (which I view as cruel and unusual) by means of constitutional amendment, that will legalize sex work, and that will eliminate a whole category of 'thought crime' laws passed during the first and second red scares. In the next session, I also plan on introducing a bill that would virtually replace prisons with alternative means of administering justice. I will divulge more details on that as it becomes a more complete project.

These, are, in a nutshell, my priorities for the next session. I want to see the robbery of the worker by her bosses ended, the robbery of the third world by those same bosses who control the politico-military system in the United States ended, and the robbery of those least able to defend themselves before the boss dominated court system.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »

SEN. TNF DECLARES WRITE-IN BID FOR PPT

Comrades, at this critical juncture in our history, we need responsive leadership that puts the working class first. I want to ask you to contact your Senators and have them write me in for PPT. It is a thankless job, but it is never the less one of great importance. If elected PPT, I will work with the Senate to devise a new rulebook for the Senate that simplifies the rules and allows for real partisan administration and control. If you are a Laborite or a progressive, I'm your man for PPT. Let's get to work, Atlasia.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #229 on: November 06, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »

Of course, because for a party that is based on eliminating the duopoly, elevating it to the Senate structure where it does not exist currently, certainly makes a lot of sense.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #230 on: November 07, 2013, 05:03:54 PM »

We didn't win the PPT spot but we're getting closer with every election. I hope that I can say that after our next round of elections, we'll have a Labor PPT with the ability to re-tool our Senate's outdated rules. Until then...

Ask me anything!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #231 on: November 07, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »

Of course, because for a party that is based on eliminating the duopoly, elevating it to the Senate structure where it does not exist currently, certainly makes a lot of sense.

Naturally the prime concern is eliminating you.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #232 on: November 07, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »

Don't worry, if my plan is implemented, a partisan leadership will be utilized in the lower house. Could be interesting.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #233 on: November 07, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »

Naturally the prime concern is eliminating you.

Naturally because protecting the Senate's least active Senator by invoking those evul rules against impeachment attempts when the standard has yet to be met is so fing horrible. I should just resign in disgrace for that. Roll Eyes
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2013, 07:43:41 AM »

STATEMENT ON SEN. TMTHFORU94'S CORPORATE WELFARE BILL

Comrades, the Senate is currently considering a very bad piece of legislation that would provide private schools with a massive amount of taxpayer dollars in the form of vouchers. This corporate welfare bill is being proposed and supported by none other than Rich Man's Senator Tmthforu94, who has in the past claimed to be a political moderate. There is nothing "moderate" about this bill. Ask the Senator himself:

So these are vouchers for the government subsidization of private school, then?
Yes, for the children of our troops, who do not have the option of selecting where they live (including the school district) like many of us enjoy. I think that this is certainly something we can do considering the sacrifices our brave men and women in arms make.

Sen. Tmthforu94 would like to frame this issue as a patriotic one, of supporting our men and women under arms. There is nothing that could be more facetious. This is a straight up corporate welfare bill that benefits the backers of the Federalist Party and it's anti-public school, rich man's agenda. The Senator would like to pull the wool over your eyes - I would not. Military bases around the country already have quality public schooling. He wants to end it by introducing this bill, which will, mark my words, lead to the destruction of all public education in Atlasia, if given an inch. Once vouchers are approved for military families, who will have them approved next? It's only a matter of time before Tmth and his backers in the Federalist Rich Man's Party introduce a bill to give massive corporate welfare checks to all private schools with vouchers for everybody.

The Labor Party, however, has a different agenda. I have introduced the Rational Education Act of 2013, which will encourage the end of antisocial homeschooling practices. I will, in the coming days, introduce a bill prohibiting corporate welfare for private schools, preventing Senators like Tmthforu94 from using your money to write their welfare checks.

I will not rest until this bill has been defeated.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #235 on: November 08, 2013, 01:43:56 PM »

Taking a page from Senator Gass and TNF's debating tactics...

Roll Eyes
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: November 09, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »

STATEMENT ON THE PASSAGE OF THE SEX WORK ACT

Comrades, I am happy to address you today with regard to the recent passage of the Sex Work Act by the Senate. The Sex Work Act will end the hypocritical 'decriminalization' policy that has thus far predominated in Atlasia and will allow sex workers to come out of the shadows and make a fair and honest living. This act, along with the currently being debated Comprehensive Drug Reform Act, will bring many 'black market' activities onto the open market and provide for working people a way to legitimately and fairly make a living without the harassment of the capitalist police and courts. Also at issue is also the Fair Labor Standards Act, which will radically improve the lives of workers; this bill needs but one vote to pass and become the law of the land. I encourage members of the Senate to support the FLSA, which will bring much needed improvement to the fortunes of Atlasian workers.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2013, 04:28:42 PM »

SEN. TNF DESCRIBES FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT AS 'LABOR'S MAGNA CARTA,' VOWS FURTHER REFORM

Comrades, today I am ecstatic. Today I can report to you that President Duke has signed, following its passage by the Senate, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 2013. What does that mean for working people? Never in our history has such an important document, such a 'Magna Carta' been laid before labor. The FSLA will do much to address the needs and concerns of working people.

First and foremost, the act puts us on a path to a real living wage for the first time in Atlasian history. July 1st of next year will see the minimum wage raised to $14 an hour. By July 1st, 2018, the minimum wage will be raised to $18 an hour. No other industrial democracy pays low-skilled labor or will pay low-skilled labor as well as Atlasian labor will be paid. The act ends discriminatory wage rates against the disabled and the young, correcting an injustice unfortunately written into the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. The FSLA will mandate automatic adjustments in the minimum wage for increases in worker productivity, and for inflation. It will, combined with the Nixcome, create a true minimum standard of living for every Atlasian. Comrades, with this bill, we have come closer than ever before to the total abolition of poverty. Every Senator who made this possible should be proud of themselves, and so should the President. They have helped to lift a large number of Atlasians from the drudgery of daily life and will provide true freedom for many.

Section 2 of the FSLA mandates no firings without just cause. Thus, 'at-will employment', which has plagued the Atlasian worker since the introduction of capitalism some centuries ago, has been abolished. It is impossible to phrase how much of a leap forward this is for working people.

Pay periods have also been shortened. Tenure has been added as an option for responsible private sector employers seeking to develop a structured and experienced workforce. The 'weekend' is actually the weekend again; the Fair Labor Standards Act mandates time-and-a-half for all hours worked between 12 am Friday and 12 am Monday. Mandatory overtime has been outlawed. Any amount of time spent over eight hours on the job (regardless of whether or not it exceeds the 32 hour workweek) will now be compensated in the same manner that overtime will.

Paid breaks are now the law of the land. For every seven hours worked, workers will be given an hour paid break; and for every three-and-a-half hours worked, workers shall be given a paid 30 minute break. Unpaid labor in the prisons has been made a thing of the past. Persons under sixteen have been barred from work; allowing for the total end of child labor in Atlasia.

Am I fully satisfied with the outcome of this bill? Have we finished all the work we set out to do? I am not. There are many great things about the Fair Labor Standards Act, and I am glad to have seen so much work done by so many in getting us to the final product. But there is yet work to do. Tipped employees are still paid less than the federal minimum wage. Interns are still allowed to toil long hours without pay; and even under the provisions of this act, firing employees is still far too easy. I will author legislation to correct these injustices in the future and will make it a centerpiece of my bid democratize our fair republic; to allow for workers to control their destinies in the marketplace and in the townhalls of our nation.

Thank you all for your hard work. I would like to personally thank the Federalists who crossed party lines to support this bill, even though it might not have made them popular among their compatriots as a result. You have done the right thing for the Atlasian worker and the right thing for Atlasia. I would like to thank my comrades in the Labor Party and in the labor movement; your steadfast, unwavering support of this legislation means much to me and much to the Atlasian worker. I would finally like to thank President Duke for his signature on this Magna Carta of Labor. You have all done so much toward the final product – none of this would have been possible without you.

Thank you all.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #238 on: November 26, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »

SEN. TNF ISSUES STATEMENT ON WORKER OWNERSHIP, PLEDGES TO NATIONALIZE FORTUNE 500

Sheridan, Amity - Comrades, I am happy today to address you from the coal works here in Sheridan. I have recently relocated my regional office to Sheridan, as part of a broader effort to highlight the plight of the Atlasian working class, which, in spite of the great gains it has made over the course of the Nix and Duke administrations, still lacks the power to guide its own destiny, even today. Take for example the coal works behind me -- the men and women who work in the mine do so with the protection of the United Mineworkers of Atlasia. They are paid decent wages, work shorter hours, and have safety protections -- all thanks to their union and the Labor Party.

What then, do they lack? They lack the power to determine how the coal will be mined and who will be in charge of the mining itself; that is, they lack the final say in how things will be done. Collective bargaining agreements are all well and good, comrades, and I support them to the utmost, but until we fundamentally shift the control of the workplace from the middlemen and the parasitic capitalist class that currently controls it to those who produce, that is, labor, these men and women will never have full and total control of their destinies. They will not be truly free until they are the ones who determine how and when the coal will be mined, and until they are the ones that fully reap the product of their labor.

I realize that this is a radical demand. But radical times call for radical demands. We have expanded the power of labor to bargain, and, I hope, we will continue to expand that power. There are great pieces of legislation in the Senate queue right now that do just that. I am announcing today that I will soon introduce legislation to nationalize and take into public ownership the firms that comprise the Fortune 500. These firms constitute the commanding heights of our economy; they are energy companies, they are distribution companies, they are tech companies. And, if streamlined and used for the public benefit, they will bring prosperity and growth to every last Atlasian.

Now, Senator, what's this about nationalization? Didn't you just talk about worker ownership? Why yes, in fact, I did, comrades! And it is still something I would wish to pursue. You see, I realize that years of being kept out of the loop in the decision-making process would make a lot of worker-owned firms fail pretty quickly. I don't think it is controversial to state that the workers themselves would need to be assisted at first. Ultimately, and in the context of the bill in question, these firms would be given to the workers themselves, who would then finally be able to control their destinies and introduce true and lasting freedom across this great land.

In solidarity,

Senator TNF
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #239 on: December 31, 2013, 11:21:16 AM »

TNF announces bid for third term

Comrades, it has come to my attention that the Governor, Mr. LumineVonReuenthal, has announced that he will be challenging me for the regional Senate seat I currently hold and have held since June 2013. I have already announced that I will seek a third term in the Senate and stand by that pledge; today I make it formal with this announcement, here, in Denver, Mirth. My opponent has already fired the first shot of this campaign, so let me respond to it before getting into my record, and showing you, the people of the Midwest, what I have been doing for you in Nyman.

The Governor says I do not accurately represent the interests of the Midwest. An odd accusation coming from a centrist do-nothing with a gubernatorial term far less distinguished than that of our previous Governor, Maxwell. He has written many articles but contributed little, if anything, to debates in the Althing and has sponsored almost nothing in way of real legislation. He speaks of "compromise" and "working across the aisle."

What he really talks of is selling you out, Midwesterners, of working with the far-right Federalists to destroy our progressive legislation, to weaken and destroy our unions, and shred our social safety net to appease international financiers. His "centrism" is little but clearly cloaked conservatism. At least my last opponent had the guts to tell us where he stands on the issues: the Governor will not, because he's afraid of losing your vote.

Unlike my opponent, you will always know where I stand on the issues. I stand against the right-wing, against the union-busters, against the profiteers and the financiers. My opponent stands with the right and the moderate heroes, as evidenced by his high-profiled endorsements by right-wingers like Maxwell and moderate heroes like Politics Junkie. I stand with the left. I stand with the people. I stand for you.

Since I was elected to the Senate in June, I have been the driving force behind progressive legislation in Nyman. I introduced a law legalizing prostitution, raising the minimum wage to $18 and ending at-will employment, banned foreign arms sales, legalized harmless drugs like LSD and decriminalize hard drugs, allowed people who willingly quit their jobs to collect unemployment insurance, protected the right of Transgendered Atlasians, declared Black Friday a paid holiday, recognized May Day as a paid holiday, established paid sick leave, paid vacations, paid parental leave, paid long service leave, and paid educational leave; banned the use of scabs during a strike, added responsibility to federal contracting, reformed student loans, and legalized euthanasia.

My opponent has sponsored a law to raise the speed limit. That's it.

The choice is clear, Midwesterners.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #240 on: December 31, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »

The unemployment law was actually piece of legislation, written just for political usage. There was nothing in the Comprehensive Social Security Reform Act that blocked the use of UI for those who were willingly leaving their own job. Furthermore, it should always be questioned about the real need of this considering the strong Nixcome...
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #241 on: December 31, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »

I am honored to be known as a "high-profile moderate hero." Tongue

FTR, you've skipped over the four amendments Lumine made to the regional constitution: the New Capitol Amendment, the New Governor Amendment, the Changing the Depositaren Amendment, and the Electoral Efficiency Amendment, in addition to the Midwest Speed Limits Act. Lumine doesn't even have an obligation as a regional executive to introduce bills, yet he has.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #242 on: December 31, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »

Gotta love how my opponents biggest defenders are from outside the region.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #243 on: December 31, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »

Gotta love how you use that as your excuse not to answer us and also that you mention me in your speech and then criticize me for answering. Wink
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #244 on: December 31, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »

Senator, this is the elephant in the room.  How do you explain your complete and total defense of Xahar, while at the same time utterly condemning Napoleon?  Are your actions and behaviors regarding these two individuals based on anything at all, other than your personal relationship with each of them?
GAworth
United States

« Reply #245 on: December 31, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

Actually, I live in Vitality. Also, I love how you praise a Federalist's term as Governor while trashing Governor Lumine. I didn't know you were such a fan of Maxwell, good to know that you like when Federalist are in charge but not others.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #246 on: December 31, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »

You have my support as usual, Senator. Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2014, 07:13:37 AM »

Endorsed,
I can sometimes disagree with you, but you're (one of) the most active senator and your loss would lead Atlasia to be less active. Activity is something I respect Smiley.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #248 on: January 04, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »

You have my support as usual, Senator. Smiley

Endorsed,
I can sometimes disagree with you, but you're (one of) the most active senator and your loss would lead Atlasia to be less active. Activity is something I respect Smiley.

I am endorsing TNF for a third glorious term in the Senate. While we disagree drastically on basically everything TNF is a Senator who has self-smarted himself through smoking drugs and nature and stuff like that.

Thank you all for your support!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #249 on: January 04, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »

Senator, this is the elephant in the room.  How do you explain your complete and total defense of Xahar, while at the same time utterly condemning Napoleon?  Are your actions and behaviors regarding these two individuals based on anything at all, other than your personal relationship with each of them?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies