Will We Ever Have an Atheist President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:41:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will We Ever Have an Atheist President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Will We Ever Have an Atheist President?  (Read 13586 times)
Vlad the Imperial
kittytitlick123
Rookie
Afghanistan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »

It seems faith is very important in elections, and polls have shown that people care about candidate's religion. Do you think America will ever elect in our lifetime an atheist president?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:13:30 PM »

Eventually, but I am convinced Obama is a closet agnostic.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:23:02 PM »

Eventually, but it will be far, far overdue by the time it happens. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:27:20 PM »

The day when an open atheist finally wins the Presidency will be as deserving of celebration and joy as November 4, 2008 was.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:40:52 PM »

I sure hope not.  That's the last thing America needs.  I'm afraid an atheist president would advocate for getting rid of all Christian symbols from the country, such as the Nativity or the Cross, or the Ten Commandments and while he wouldn't shut churches down, he would actually discourage going to church.  He would probably take prayer out of the beginning of each Congressional session.

The day America has an atheist president is the day it begins its downfall.

That said, I don't think it will ever happen.  I think Christ will be coming back to earth very soon and if He tarries, He won't allow an atheist president.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »

I sure hope not.  That's the last thing America needs.  I'm afraid an atheist president would advocate for getting rid of all Christian symbols from the country, such as the Nativity or the Cross, or the Ten Commandments and while he wouldn't shut churches down, he would actually discourage going to church.  He would probably take prayer out of the beginning of each Congressional session.

That said, I don't think it will ever happen.  I think Christ will be coming back to earth very soon and if He tarries, He won't allow an atheist president.

Not really sure how to respond to this. Just gonna leave you a LOL and continue on with my night.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »

Why? America isn't special.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:57:08 PM »

Eventually, but it will be far, far overdue by the time it happens. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »

Why? America isn't special.

Just what I believe, whether it happens or not.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »

The American public in polls are much more likely to vote for a Jewish President, a Gay President, and even a Muslim President.

It will happen eventually, but probably not for a couple decades.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »

A couple decades. By then, I doubt it will matter.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »

Not for another generation at least.

I sure hope not.  That's the last thing America needs.  I'm afraid an atheist president would advocate for getting rid of all Christian symbols from the country, such as the Nativity or the Cross, or the Ten Commandments

1-No President could ever get any type of bans through Congress.
2-Even if he somehow did, they wouldn't survive five minutes in court. Making it illegal to display a Nativity scene, cross or Ten Commandments tablet is so blatantly unconstitutional it's tough to describe all the ways. Also most communities in America would refuse to enforce these laws anyway just like Washington and Colorado (and plenty of other places de facto) have agreed to quit enforcing marijuana laws.

I should probably also note the PM of Australia has never even proposed anything even remotely close to what you described.

and while he wouldn't shut churches down, he would actually discourage going to church.

I don't think anyone who currently goes to church is going to quit because the President says not to (even ignoring just how fierce the blowback would be and the electoral price he would pay for such a thing.)

Also once again, the PM of Australia has never done this.

He would probably take prayer out of the beginning of each Congressional session.

That's not up to the President. That would require a change in the Congressional rules, which Congress would have to pass themselves.

Why would an atheist President be a bigger deal than all the other atheist world leaders we've had, including some far nastier than any US President could be (see Stalin and Mao for starters)?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »

I have thought that most Presidents aren't as religious as they put on, but I'm really not sure.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »

Um, I don't know how to respond to something this absurd.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »

We can only hope.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »

We've probably already had one.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »

Um, I don't know how to respond to something this absurd.

Calling it absurd might be appropriate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »

Except this goes beyond the normal bounds of absurdity.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:31 PM »

Hopefully He holds off on his return until after the Australian general election in September, or else this fine land might be damned for having an atheist Prime Minister.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »

The day when an open atheist finally wins the Presidency will be as deserving of celebration and joy as November 4, 2008 was.

The Constitution forbade religious tests for office at a time when Africans were still coming over in slave ships.  I have a hard time seeing these as having the same historical significance.

It's interesting how Bushie's comment mirrors the opponents of Jefferson's election in 1800.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 10:13:32 PM »

Bushie in 19 years:
As strange as it sounds coming from me, I applaud Ben_____ for changing his views.  Views can change over time, especially when we're young.  My own views are slowly evolving in that direction.  I'm not, yet, fully on board due to my conservative, religious upbringing, but I'm to the point where I'm no longer going to fight against it.  Give it probably 6 months or a year or sooner and I might be a full supporter of same sex marriage myself an atheist president.

Let's put it this way, I basically support SSM now an atheist president, I just still have to put down the occasional thoughts of going against how I was raised.  I realize, now, and the SSM atheist president thread just a week or so ago helped me see that it is not affecting my faith and walk in Jesus Christ and that is the first and foremost priority.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »

I would have no problem voting for an atheist for president if I agreed with him or her on the issues of the day and he or she was qualified. It seems unlikely given our political division and the make-up of American culture that the situation would arise relatively soon, especially given the make-up of the Republican primary. But if it did, I would have no problem with it. I take seriously this:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

For when we could have an atheist president? Maybe sometime in the late 2020s, the Democrats could elect one. I don't think we could have an atheist Republican elected for a while still though.

The other possible route to having an atheist elected would be to elect a non-atheist who then openly declares himself as an atheist while in office and is then re-elected. Yet doing so would also be unlikely since he'd probably wait until after re-election for political reasons.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 10:16:56 PM »

I think we will in the next 50 years. Also I don't think Christians should worry about it. I doubt any atheist president would try to remove religion or do anything anti Christian, it would probably backfire if they did. Also I don't see why God wouldn't allow a atheist president. I would think a atheist president would actually be careful not to upset christians and make it known they don't want to ban Christianity, the fact that they would have to say this is unfortunate. Unfortunately you would have some Christians who would claim that if elected he would ban christianity.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »

We've probably already had one.

It's very, very likely.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »

Shut up you dingbat
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies