France legalizes same-sex marriage and adoption
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:36:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France legalizes same-sex marriage and adoption
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: France legalizes same-sex marriage and adoption  (Read 4178 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 06:25:36 AM »

The opposition to the marriage bill was probably the campest and 'gayest' protest I have ever seen. I've seen striaghter gay rights parades. I full expect it to be announced as one elaborate joke for a tv special.
JonBidinger
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »

What does this mean for all French overseas territories?

Legal everywhere that is integral to France (French Guiana, Guadelope, Martinique, Reunion, Mayotte). They're as much a part of France as Paris. Not sure on areas with more autonomy like New Caledonia, but I suspect it does not apply.

Article 22 of the law specifies that the law will apply (except a few random parts which are not that important) to New Caledonia, French Polynesia and Wallis-et-Futuna.

So it applies to all but Saint Pierre et Miquelon, Saint Martin, and Saint Barthelemy?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »

Legal everywhere that is integral to France (French Guiana, Guadelope, Martinique, Reunion, Mayotte). They're as much a part of France as Paris. Not sure on areas with more autonomy like New Caledonia, but I suspect it does not apply.

Article 22 of the law specifies that the law will apply (except a few random parts which are not that important) to New Caledonia, French Polynesia and Wallis-et-Futuna.

So it applies to all but Saint Pierre et Miquelon, Saint Martin, and Saint Barthelemy?

I suppose it is applying there too, since all laws apply there except if they are in speical devolved areas, without the need of mentioning them in the law.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 12:50:37 PM »

It applies there too, since these 3 islands are fairly normal overseas territorial collectivities (but not DOMs) and they don't have extensive devolved powers or a special status.
Benj

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »

The opposition to the marriage bill was probably the campest and 'gayest' protest I have ever seen. I've seen striaghter gay rights parades. I full expect it to be announced as one elaborate joke for a tv special.

Only in France would this be an anti-gay protest:

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »

That protest reminds me of the metrosexual pride parade from the Queer Eye South Park episode.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »

ROFLMAO
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 03:57:01 PM »

To be fair, young French men often look and act "gay", for North American standards. We have lots of them on the campus, at Montréal, and it disturbs my gaydar very much.
danny
Israel

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 04:14:17 PM »

WTF
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »

Oh Lord that's hilarious!
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »

Come on, these guys must obviously be trolling... I mean... COME ON!

To be fair, young French men often look and act "gay", for North American standards. We have lots of them on the campus, at Montréal, and it disturbs my gaydar very much.

There's a rather great leap between metrosexual fashionable straights, and wearing pink pants, scarfs, and no shirts.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 05:48:29 PM »

That's like posting a picture of men dressed in drag on a stag-do to prove Britain's camp; they've clearly dressed up for the occasion, whether to be hilariously ironic or desperately use their pink attire to try and deflect from engaging in an openly homophobic protest. 
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »

They are probably dressing "gay" on purpose. Like how straight guys act and talk gay to people they call gay.
Benj

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »

That's like posting a picture of men dressed in drag on a stag-do to prove Britain's camp; they've clearly dressed up for the occasion, whether to be hilariously ironic or desperately use their pink attire to try and deflect from engaging in an openly homophobic protest.  

Sort of. My understanding is that the anti-gay-marriage movement adopted pink as their color formally, so even the more "normal" protesters were often wearing pink shirts or scarves or sashes and so forth. I don't think it was necessarily intended as ironic here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »

I don't think the protesters were necessarily striving to "look gay" (although it's possible). What is certain is that this bunch of reactionary stooges has proven itself to be extremely "modern" and media savvy: my guess is that they put on this hilarious attire precisely to draw attention.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 01:24:09 AM »

Sort of. My understanding is that the anti-gay-marriage movement adopted pink as their color formally, so even the more "normal" protesters were often wearing pink shirts or scarves or sashes and so forth. I don't think it was necessarily intended as ironic here.

Well, chosing pink as the colour of the anti-gay movement was clearly intended to mock the gays, even if that, for obvious reasons, wasnt said out loud.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 01:54:34 AM »

Ironically the French minister who helped push for legalized abortion in the '70s, Simone Veil opposed legalizing same-sex marriage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simone_Veil
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 01:59:31 AM »

Those guys are obvious trolls. I can't help but laughing at the sight of a bunch of Catholic fundamentalists dressed in pink, but this sort of parody is morally disgusting.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 05:24:46 AM »

Ironically the French minister who helped push for legalized abortion in the '70s, Simone Veil opposed legalizing same-sex marriage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simone_Veil

Lionel Jospin, the PS Prime Minister whose government created civil unions (PACS), also opposed same-sex marriage this year.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »

Lionel Jospin, the PS Prime Minister whose government created civil unions (PACS), also opposed same-sex marriage this year.

Really? I certainly get Veil, and I don't expect any politician from the 70s, even the most progressive minded, to support this, but Jospin? Huh
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »

Really? I certainly get Veil, and I don't expect any politician from the 70s, even the most progressive minded, to support this, but Jospin? Huh

What did you seriously expect from that fossil of another era?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:11 PM »

While Jospin certainly belongs to a previous generation of French politicians, I think that as a leftist and committed social progressive (PACS was as big a thing in 1999 as gay marriage is today, remember) he could well have supported it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »

While Jospin certainly belongs to a previous generation of French politicians, I think that as a leftist and committed social progressive (PACS was as big a thing in 1999 as gay marriage is today, remember) he could well have supported it.

From what I get, he doesn't care much, but is pressured by his very bigoted wife.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »

Sylviane Agacinski is a conservative?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2013, 12:05:23 AM »

She is strongly opposed to gay mariage, because mariage is based on the differences between men and women.
In short, she is one of the extreme feminists which seems to see gay marriage as a plot to undermine women, as two fathers could replace a woman.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies