Who's the most conservative Republican that could win the election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 08:36:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who's the most conservative Republican that could win the election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who's the most conservative Republican that could win the election?  (Read 4080 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »

Seeing the thread about the most liberal candidate that the Democrats could nominate has got me wondering. Who is the most conservative Republican that has a chance of winning the general election?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 12:14:05 AM »

Marco Rubio
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 12:22:34 AM »

Against a horrible enough candidate, almost anybody could win an election.  (though two completely unelectable candidates could open the door to a third party).

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 12:25:58 AM »

Against a horrible enough candidate, almost anybody could win an election.  (though two completely unelectable candidates could open the door to a third party).

True but Democrats have virtually no horrible enough candidate (barring some unknown scandal) whose likely to be nominated.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 12:56:21 AM »

Rand Paul because he can appeal to libertarian-leaning blue states like Colorado, Washington, New Hampshire, and Nevada while still holding on to all of the usual red states.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 12:58:02 AM »

Rand Paul because he can appeal to libertarian-leaning blue states like Colorado, Washington, New Hampshire, and Nevada while still holding on to all of the usual red states.

Not really once his views on Civil Rights legislation become known.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 01:02:56 AM »

I believe Rick Santorum can win in America's heartland because he presents conservative values in an appealing way and can possibly appeal to those blue collar Democrat voters

I was proud to be one of 550 San Franciscans to vote for Rick Santorum, and I'd do it again!
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 01:05:26 AM »

I believe Rick Santorum can win in America's heartland because he presents conservative values in an appealing way and can possibly appeal to those blue collar Democrat voters

Considering in 2012 he supported even lower taxes for the wealthy then Mitt Romney, I'm rather sceptical.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 01:07:39 AM »

I was proud to be one of 550 San Franciscans to vote for Rick Santorum, and I'd do it again!

His views on gay marriage, contraception, and foreign policy make it virtually impossible for him to win the Presidency, in my opinion.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 01:08:49 AM »

His views on gay marriage, contraception, and foreign policy make it virtually impossible for him to win the Presidency, in my opinion.

An anti-gay marriage candidate could win as long as he was low-key on the issue but you're right about the other two.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 01:11:57 AM »

Yeah but lets be honest, He is not working to get the votes of  the West Village and the Castro. I'll bet you if you take  NY/CA/New England out of the national gay "Marriage" polls, trad'l marriage would be largely supported.

I almost wonder if gay "marriage" views will no longer matter come 2016. If SCOTUS declares fundamental "right" to marry   , stari decisis et al,   candidates views will become irrelevant.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I just don't agree --- McCain and Romney avoided gay marriage issue like the plague, when even in 2008 California voted to ban it.

I actually feel Republicans will be in peril in red states (particularly Arkansas, West Virginia, Kentucky where the Democrat Party actually holds a registration advantage).

I'm telling you -- I truly believe deep blue states are inflating the nat'l polls on SSM.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 01:18:05 AM »

I just don't agree --- McCain and Romney avoided gay marriage issue like the plague, when even in 2008 California voted to ban it.

I actually feel Republicans will be in peril in red states (particularly Arkansas, West Virginia, Kentucky where the Democrat Party actually holds a registration advantage).

I'm telling you -- I truly believe deep blue states are inflating the nat'l polls on SSM.

Gay marriage wasn't discussed much because whatever momentum there was, was on the side of pro-SSM forces. Keep in mind that all four ballot measures on gay marriage last year were resolved in favour of SSM.

CountryClassSF

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 01:31:52 AM »

Gay marriage wasn't discussed much because whatever momentum there was, was on the side of pro-SSM forces. Keep in mind that all four ballot measures on gay marriage last year were resolved in favour of SSM.

That could be, but all it did was alienate the base. Without the base you can't win. Period. Mccain, Romney, Dole proved that.  Republicans win when they bring everybody in and run tough campaigns.

I understand that they were resolved in favor, but  remember North Carolina in may 2-1 against SSM.

Now, in the deep blue states that voted for SSM, compare the trad'l marriage support to moderate Romney's support in every state, including NC. Notice anything?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 08:23:25 AM »

Cruz is the most "conservative" (in the "movement conservative" sense, obv.) who could win the nomination, but I hate to imagine the circumstances under which he could win a national election. Either Rubio or Scott Walker is probably the answer to the question posed in the OP.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »

Rand Paul

Rubio is a silly answer. He is a 'moderate.'
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »

While it's possible for a more conservative candidate to win, I think Jeb Bush would be the best combination of a solid conservative and someone with a good chance of winning.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »

Santorum or Cruz.

(if you can win the nomination, you automatically have a chance to win the presidency)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »

I'll bet you if you take  NY/CA/New England out of the national gay "Marriage" polls, trad'l marriage would be largely supported.

And if you took out the South, equality would be largely supported. So what's your point, exactly?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »

Probably Cruz.

Rand Paul has some views that would be considered outside the traditional liberal/ conservative spectrum.

Cruz simply seems to be easier to pin down politically.

And it does seem that he is to the right of Rubio and Ryan.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »

Rubio. Cruz, Santorum, and Paul can't win the general.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »

Rubio. Cruz, Santorum, and Paul can't win the general.

This. Didn't Cruz run behind Romney of all people in Texas?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »

susan collins, or someone with her ideology.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »

Rand Paul

Rubio is a silly answer. He is a 'moderate.'

Rand Paul can't win. And Rubio is just as right-wing as George W Bush and probably to the right of Reagan on entitlement-related issues.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »

John Thune or Kelly Ayotte, I'm thinking. They're both fairly lockstep conservatives, but they tend to have a measured approach that will serve them well. Rubio seems to be moving to the center a bit. Cruz is just way over the top, coming off as paranoid and extreme. He's pretty much a guaranteed loser.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies