New York State grabs the wrong man's guns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:30:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New York State grabs the wrong man's guns
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New York State grabs the wrong man's guns  (Read 2725 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:21:06 PM »

http://buffalo.ynn.com/content/top_stories/655499/judge-orders-guns-returned-to-amherst-man-mistakenly-identified-as-violating-the-safe-act/

A state Supreme Court Judge has ordered an Amherst man's guns can be returned to him after he was incorrectly identified as violating a mental health provision of the SAFE Act. Earlier this week, State Police say they made a mistake. As YNN's Kevin Jolly tells us, now State Police and the County Clerk's Office disagree on who's at fault.

Ah, due process of law flipped on its head. Thankfully there are still a handful of defenders of freedom.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »

Aaaaagh his life is RUINED!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:45:56 PM »

Tragic.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:54:30 PM »

Like I've said -- obviously a few small steps toward control do need to be taken at a federal level, but more important is the fight to loosen laws further in left-wing states with overly restrictive gun laws -- a fight which the NRA does not seem to be winning, although certainly DC v. Heller and its successors give hope that many recent ones may be overturned in court (I read somewhere this was very possible with the new laws Malloy's passed in Connecticut?).
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »

http://buffalo.ynn.com/content/top_stories/655499/judge-orders-guns-returned-to-amherst-man-mistakenly-identified-as-violating-the-safe-act/

A state Supreme Court Judge has ordered an Amherst man's guns can be returned to him after he was incorrectly identified as violating a mental health provision of the SAFE Act. Earlier this week, State Police say they made a mistake. As YNN's Kevin Jolly tells us, now State Police and the County Clerk's Office disagree on who's at fault.

Ah, due process of law flipped on its head. Thankfully there are still a handful of defenders of freedom.
This is extremely easy to undo.

I think you're accidentally making the opposite of the point you wanted to make.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:26:28 PM »

Oh god, the horror! The inconvenience!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2013, 09:22:07 PM by krazen1211 »

Once upon a time:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

or shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;

nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »

For the millionth damn time, there is Supreme Court precedent for some restrictions on the right to keep & bear arms.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 09:33:20 PM »

Krazen, errors are inevitably going to be made, for which remedies will have to be applied.  The error mentioned here was corrected using due process, so this case proves exactly the opposite of the point you seem to be trying to make.  That you seem to be unable to comprehend such things is what makes people think you are a kook, a troll, or both.  It's a shame as we could use someone here who makes a good case for quite a few of the topics you post on.  Alas, with you here, it is less likely that someone who can competently argue the positions you take will show up lest they be considered a kook or a troll as well. It is a shame that people tend to judge position by the quality of their advocates, rather than by the quality of the facts supporting the position. However since your posts cloud your chosen issues with poor quality in your facts, your advocacy, or both, you tend to lessen the support for the positions you advocate rather than strengthen such support.

Of course, you are not the only person who has posted in this thread that my comments in this post could apply to, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to improve those who rarely manage more than a single line of snark.  You clearly have some talent, I just wish you would make use of it more productively than you do.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 09:38:31 PM »

Once upon a time:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Emphasis mine.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »

For the millionth damn time, there is Supreme Court precedent for some restrictions on the right to keep & bear arms.

Hey now, I've seen my neighbors strapped with bazookas and submachine guns on plenty of occasions.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »

Oh wow you mean a bureaucratic error was made that the state remedied in a timely fashion? Horrendous. One of the worst tragedies I've heard of in quite awhile.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »

Hopefully this accident will lead to more efficiencies.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »

Once upon a time:

Emphasis mine.

In this case, the fiends in the government didn't merely well regulate the militia. They marched up to a member of the militia and deprived this man of his rights.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 10:58:44 PM »

Once upon a time:

Emphasis mine.

In this case, the fiends in the government didn't merely well regulate the militia. They marched up to a member of the militia and deprived this man of his rights.

And then gave them back once they realized they made a mistake. I realize you're challenged for logic, but try again, nimmy.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:09 PM »

Once upon a time:

Emphasis mine.

And then gave them back once they realized they made a mistake. I realize you're challenged for logic, but try again, nimmy.

If the state does not attempt to arbitrarily and randomly confiscate the people's guns, as New York State did for hundreds of years, mistakes will not be made.

And certainly New York State will not willingly compensate this good man for his time, his emotional duress, and the appropriate interest for usage of thousands of dollars of his personal property. An intervention by a judge or another defender of the people might be required.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 11:36:15 PM »

This really was not worth a thread at all, other than to start more arguing over guns. Give it a rest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 11:41:36 PM »

OMG how terrible!!!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 11:43:12 PM »

Debatable, at best, if his due process rights were actually violated.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »

Several people in this thread are incredibly cavalier about the prospect of police going after people for the simple act of taking psychiatric medication.  Yes it was corrected, but some legislation opens itself to abuse by creating broad measures.  Do we really want police to even know, much less act upon, a person's psychiatric history when they have done nothing illegal and made no threat of violence?  That is what the SAFE Act encourages.  This is not just a 2nd amendment issue.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »

Once upon a time:

Emphasis mine.

Precisely. That does not mean the Bloods, Crips, Aryan Brotherhood, or MS-13.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 05:32:19 PM »

Oh my!!! How awful!!!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »

Once upon a time:

or shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The First Amendment is also important, and thus absolutely immune to restriction.

I will accordingly be showing up outside Krazen's home (bunker?) at 3 AM with a soundtruck to blare political screeds at massive volume, followed by a loop of Dead Kennedy's.

If he complains once, he's obviously a communist who opposes the Constitution in it's entirety, and will steal your guns in a heartbeat.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 06:29:21 PM »

Once upon a time:

Emphasis mine.

Precisely. That does not mean the Bloods, Crips, Aryan Brotherhood, or MS-13.

When did this good man become any of the above?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »

Once upon a time:

The First Amendment is also important, and thus absolutely immune to restriction.

I will accordingly be showing up outside Krazen's home (bunker?) at 3 AM with a soundtruck to blare political screeds at massive volume, followed by a loop of Dead Kennedy's.

If he complains once, he's obviously a communist who opposes the Constitution in it's entirety, and will steal your guns in a heartbeat.

Have at it. Make sure you carry your guns with you thought in case some of the leftists in the area decide to engage in violence.

You might need it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies